Happy St. George day

guypjfreak

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Couldn't say, but suspect the (ironically unholy) greetings card industry may have played some small part, at least.

PS -  It was the Diocletianic Persecution that did for him, in the end.

I think you’re probably right. Someone actually gave me an Easter card the best other day. I’d much prefer it if people used these days as a good excuse to go to the pub rather than give a card. :)

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Given the variety of reactions in the thread, I think you're safe to say it isn't yet a thing.

I work in a place with scores of people and not one said it, just the odd conversation about the date.

I hope so. Nobody has actually said it to me, but I have seen it online a lot. 

Edited by musky
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Bennykill said:

he was a middle eastern sell sword that never stepped foot in Britain.

he is also the patron saint for Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia

today is also Shakespeare's birth and death day so that is a much better reason to celebrate

Oy- it was/is also my birthday- surely that's more important?

Edited by Boris
  • Like 1

I love St Georges Day tbh. The right wing lot get up in arms about how we as a nation don't do enough to celebrate what they think is a former national hero who went crusading to take down the anti-Catholic foreigners, Plantagenet sigil'd up and massacring a massive dragon just for the cherry.

The lefties try and shoot it down despite St George pretty much standing for everything they believe in, multi-culturist, loved in several religions, patronage from countries spread across the world, a saint in Catholicism, a martyr in Islam. Everyone up in arms and most people mis-educated and over-opinionated on something they've done no research on. Pretty much sums this generation.

Hell, they even go to town on the fact he was Turkish-Syrian even though he was more likely greek or didn't exist (at least not as the legend) at all.

• Upvote 1

The flag stuff is funny as well considering all our emblems mostly come from France. St George cross is a banner that represents both the Kings of England and France who banded together to crusade. Henry II, who was King of England was pretty much French anyway, hell all the old Kings and Queens were, none of the nobility could barely utter any English, is was the language of peasants.

The armorial of the Plantagenet or three lions sigil is essentially French as well. Though the English and French were well into inbreeding their top families at that point for political gain. The whole St georges day ritual is basically a celebration of our huge history off multi-cultural being when you look into everything about it yet its become a focal point of the opposite. Its all pretty amusing.

• Upvote 1

It’s a shame really that there can’t be a day to unambiguously celebrate England’s heritage and culture, including its long history of multiculturalism. Nothing wrong in taking a bit of pride (precious  little to be proud of at the mo) and wanting to bring together the divided nation.

It saddens me to see what St George’s Day has become though, a clarion call for racist elements (actually heard some c**t un ironically wishing people “happy racists day” at a parade one year) and a target for spite and cheap jibes for their opposites.

I just wanna catch up with mates, drink ale and see some bloke prancing round as a hobby horse ffs.

• Upvote 1