Sober times

morph100

I gave up alcohol exactly two years ago; started when doing Glastonbury-at-home in 2020. Since the lifting of restrictions I have been back at gigs, but this Glastonbury was the ultimate test. Would I manage not to drink, and would I enjoy it?  

I cannot believe the difference this has made!  You get an extra two to four hours in the day, not having to struggle through mild hangovers. I was volunteering and did tons of walking and standing, and was able for it all. Not to mention the fact that I came back with cash left. Everyone is different, but for me this change has been fantastic.

There was a discussion about non-alcoholic options somewhere before, and I knew not to expect much. Several bars sold cans of San Miguel 0.0, which is a good option (anything that's not Heineken or Carlsberg is welcome). I didn't have too many though, because of the complication of paying. I don't know whether it was because I was paying cash, but even when there was no queue at all, it took someone a full three minutes of doing things on a device before they would take my fiver....

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Watergirl said:

I gave up alcohol exactly two years ago; started when doing Glastonbury-at-home in 2020. Since the lifting of restrictions I have been back at gigs, but this Glastonbury was the ultimate test. Would I manage not to drink, and would I enjoy it?  

I cannot believe the difference this has made!  You get an extra two to four hours in the day, not having to struggle through mild hangovers. I was volunteering and did tons of walking and standing, and was able for it all. Not to mention the fact that I came back with cash left. Everyone is different, but for me this change has been fantastic.

There was a discussion about non-alcoholic options somewhere before, and I knew not to expect much. Several bars sold cans of San Miguel 0.0, which is a good option (anything that's not Heineken or Carlsberg is welcome). I didn't have too many though, because of the complication of paying. I don't know whether it was because I was paying cash, but even when there was no queue at all, it took someone a full three minutes of doing things on a device before they would take my fiver....

I can only wholeheartedly agree with regards to a similar sober Glastonbury experience. I gave up around the start of 2020 and thought I may struggle staying into the early hours without alcohol but I was able to stay out as long, if not longer than in 2019 when I was drinking.

I didn't actually buy one of the San Miguel 0.0's so didn't experience any of the bar payment issues you refer to. I am however a little surprised that you don't regard Heineken 0.0 is a good option, I personally find it one of the best imitations pilsners (Alongside Bavaria 0.0 & Moretti 0.0)

I am relatively new so haven't read back through all pages but I assume people have discussed the best 0.0s on here? (For reference mine would be Guinness 0.0)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KingoStarr said:

I didn't actually buy one of the San Miguel 0.0's so didn't experience any of the bar payment issues you refer to. I am however a little surprised that you don't regard Heineken 0.0 is a good option, I personally find it one of the best imitations pilsners (Alongside Bavaria 0.0 & Moretti 0.0)

I am relatively new so haven't read back through all pages but I assume people have discussed the best 0.0s on here? (For reference mine would be Guinness 0.0)

The Guinness 0.0 is fantastic. Unfortunately mostly available in Tesco.....  Here in Ireland the odd pub has it, but not many.  I am going to Cambridge Folk Festival next, where they have an actual Guinness tent, but I am not putting my hopes up. I like the Moretti, and also Erdinger, which is quite widely available.  An Austrian alcohol-free beer called Stiegl is also good.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Watergirl said:

Glad to hear it and similar sentiments here! I thought I would struggle to stay out into the early hours but that wasn't the case at all and lasted as long as all my mates. As I said on the previous page, the only thing was being constantly aware of your feet/back ache at all times but that is quite a small price to pay. Also got over the feeling of having to have a drink in my hand at all times by Friday and then just chilled out and had a drink whenever I wanted it.

My secret weapon to deal with foot and back pain was cake. Or crepes. Or a huge snickers. Or ice cream with warm nuts. Basically a great dollop of sugar at 1am, after headliners and before late night stuff, to bump me along: the acceptable white powder habit! 

33 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

My secret weapon to deal with foot and back pain was cake. Or crepes. Or a huge snickers. Or ice cream with warm nuts. Basically a great dollop of sugar at 1am, after headliners and before late night stuff, to bump me along: the acceptable white powder habit! 

Yes, I did have some sugary snacks too. Late night doughnut rings... Never a queue for them.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

One of our rock n roll habits, to stave off the midnight slump, is a visit to the bus for tea and toast. Works a treat. A sit for the bones, rehydrate and carbs, plan the next moves. Then its off for another few hours of fun. Works every time.