The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I'll look out for you on Monday and Tuesday and if you see a random pink haired fairy (mmm I may leave the wings in the tent) come say hi xx or message me if you want a cider buddy for a while x

Will do! Thanks!! See you soon :) xx

Hi guys, I managed to secure a volunteering space through Oxfam just waiting for the pack to come through. I’m probably going to be heading down in the Wednesday but I’ll be heading down on my own. I’ll be looking forward to meeting people!

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Hi guys, I managed to secure a volunteering space through Oxfam just waiting for the pack to come through. I’m probably going to be heading down in the Wednesday but I’ll be heading down on my own. I’ll be looking forward to meeting people!

What time did it become available out of interest?

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Don't you have to get there by Tuesday?

Congratulations!

Edited by stuie

2 hours ago, Supreme2 said:

I’ve been constantly refreshing Oxfam for weeks! Nothing seems to come up but see so many people on here getting places! What am I doing wrong lol

You just have to be very persistent. I managed to get 3 places on different days within a few hours by setting a timer to go off every 10 minutes, every time it goes off refresh and check. But this was a couple weeks ago when they were coming up fairly frequently, it might take a bit more perseverance now. Worth it in the end though! Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Supreme2 said:

What time did it become available out of interest?

Sorry I should’ve been clearer, this was on Wednesday evening. 

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Don't you have to get there by Tuesday?

Congratulations!

Whoops, I meant Tuesday. I was planning on it being Wednesday but I heard this about Oxfam. 

6 minutes ago, Wurzelcat said:

Just read on Facebook there might be Oxfam volunteering places. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong, as I've already got a spot with them Glastonbury doesn't appear as an option for me whether there's space or not

Can’t see anything unless I was too late

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Whoops, I meant Tuesday. I was planning on it being Wednesday but I heard this about Oxfam. 

Monday is even better! ?

Despite work conspiring against me I managed to make it to the wateraid training yesterday, so I'm now officially going. I hadn't been that excited about this year after being screwed over in the October sale, unsuccessful in the resale and then getting loo crew, but time to start planning my festival! 

Has anyone else done loo crew before? I've spent time in a few of the London sewers over the years (for photographic purposes) and I'm sure that the long drops can't be as bad as the smell in the Tyburn, so I'm not too worried about that.

Hi there

So glad for you that you have managed to find a way to get to the festival, despite your setbacks. I would say it must be a relief, but guess you can do without the bad jokes.

I’m lucky to be volunteering with Oxfam for the first time this year and to be honest, I don’t think I could manage your job, being a wimp. I haven’t any advice, therefore, but it sounds like you’re made of stronger stuff than me. I hope your training was helpful and that you have a good set of workmates.

I would, however, like to say a big Thankyou for volunteering to take this on as it is a really important service you’re providing.

Am I right in thinking this will be your first Glasto? (Can’t see how you will have avoided the loos otherwise. )You’re in for such a treat. Have a fantastic, well-deserved festival.

2 hours ago, VeeDubs said:

Hi there

So glad for you that you have managed to find a way to get to the festival, despite your setbacks. I would say it must be a relief, but guess you can do without the bad jokes.

I’m lucky to be volunteering with Oxfam for the first time this year and to be honest, I don’t think I could manage your job, being a wimp. I haven’t any advice, therefore, but it sounds like you’re made of stronger stuff than me. I hope your training was helpful and that you have a good set of workmates.

I would, however, like to say a big Thankyou for volunteering to take this on as it is a really important service you’re providing.

Am I right in thinking this will be your first Glasto? (Can’t see how you will have avoided the loos otherwise. )You’re in for such a treat. Have a fantastic, well-deserved festival.

I’m volunteering with Oxfam too for the first time this year. I’m going down on my own which makes it a bit more daunting for me, so hopefully I’ll see you there!

13 hours ago, VeeDubs said:

Actually going to be number six for me, this was the only way! 

Hi @Ozanne

A belated congratulations at nabbing a last minute place. I saw your drama unfold?.

Has it sunk in yet?

I’m feeling confident we’ll all have a great time and make new friends, too. The Oxfamily sound like a pretty friendly bunch and, so far, the organisation and communication has been sound. Arriving Monday and sooo excited. See you there!!

2 hours ago, VeeDubs said:

Hi @Ozanne

A belated congratulations at nabbing a last minute place. I saw your drama unfold?.

Has it sunk in yet?

I’m feeling confident we’ll all have a great time and make new friends, too. The Oxfamily sound like a pretty friendly bunch and, so far, the organisation and communication has been sound. Arriving Monday and sooo excited. See you there!!

It hasn’t quite sunk in yet, feels a bit unreal. Everyone who’s with them so far seems really nice, I’m looking forward to seeing everyone. I’ll be going down on the Tuesday I think.

I haven’t had a pack through yet though. 

On 6/9/2019 at 1:25 PM, sirjonnyp said:

Has anyone else done loo crew before? 

I haven't although I have done most of the other WaterAid roles and my son will once again be one of the Loo Crew Supervisors. You'll be fine. It's a great job, much better than it sounds and you have the immense goodwill of everyone around you to keep you going.

1 minute ago, Supreme2 said:

Just got an Oxfam place!!! However when filling in the about me section, it’s saying I need to attend a training day however they’re all after the festival?

Congrats! You need to ring the office first thing and see what they can do for you.