Football 17/18

TheGayTent

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Its a difficult one because you look at his results and there is no doubt he deserves to get the job, however look at recent footballing history and the record of caretaker managers after they get the job permanently is not great. Im trying to remember successful caretaker managers transitioning to the top job and struggling, maybe I just remember the failures. Can anyone think of good examples of successes?

It would be a purely emotive appointment for sure and we have every chance of being bottom of the Championship by September having lost the first five games of the season, but why not? Everyone has to start somewhere.

Moore has beaten Mourinho, Bentiez and Pochettinho in his first five games as a manager, more than that he's brought the feelgood factor back to a club that has been dying a slow death for 4/5 years now. He'd receive total backing from everyone connected with the club and his appointment would unite the fanbase that has been split by years of pro/anti Pulis bickering. 

26 minutes ago, jyoung said:

No World Cup for Joe Gomez. With the Ox out as well, there's a couple of new places up for grabs that were previously unavailable...

Would imagine the squad will look something like this:

Pickford, Butland, Hart

Trippier, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Smalling, Cahill, Young, Rose

Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Lingard, Alli, Sterling, Livermore, Delph

Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Welbeck

Maybe Pope in for Hart (though I imagine we'll take Hart for his experience seeing as neither will play), Tarkowski/Jones in for Cahill/Smalling, Cook/Loftus-Cheek in for Livermore/Delph. Can't think of much else that could change. If Lallana is fit again them obviously he should be in there over Livermore/Delph.

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Would imagine the squad will look something like this:

Pickford, Butland, Hart

Trippier, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Smalling, Cahill, Young, Rose

Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Lingard, Alli, Sterling, Livermore, Delph

Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Welbeck

Maybe Pope in for Hart (though I imagine we'll take Hart for his experience seeing as neither will play), Tarkowski/Jones in for Cahill/Smalling, Cook/Loftus-Cheek in for Livermore/Delph. Can't think of much else that could change. If Lallana is fit again them obviously he should be in there over Livermore/Delph.

I know Livermore has a few caps but I really don't see how he could justify a place. Giving any of the younger players a shot would be better. Think Milner would be excellent if he came out of England retirement.

9 minutes ago, Dan R said:

I know Livermore has a few caps but I really don't see how he could justify a place. Giving any of the younger players a shot would be better. Think Milner would be excellent if he came out of England retirement.

You want younger players involved and then ask for Milner. :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Yeah I certainly wouldn't take Livermore, I'm just not sure there's anyone Southgate would take over him with Chamberlain and maybe Lallana being out.

I'd definitely take Milner if he came out of retirement for it.

Think our main concern has to be Kane's shocking form at the moment, anyway.

If I was picking a squad:

GK - Pickford, Butland, Pope (although I know Hart will go)

Def - Walker, Stones, Maguire, Bertrand, Jones, Delph, Tarkowski, Trippier

Mid - Lingard, Alli, Henderson, Wilshire, Dier, RLC, Sterling, Sessegnon (wild card pick)

Att - Kane, Vardy, Welbeck, Rashford

Goes to show how little is out there after you look past the usual suspects.

41 minutes ago, thetime said:

You want younger players involved and then ask for Milner. :rolleyes:

Yup, definitely should have re-read that. I meant that either of the two young players mentioned would be better options, while Milner is probably the best CM not on the list at the moment. 

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If I was picking a squad:

GK - Pickford, Butland, Pope (although I know Hart will go)

Def - Walker, Stones, Maguire, Bertrand, Jones, Delph, Tarkowski, Trippier

Mid - Lingard, Alli, Henderson, Wilshire, Dier, RLC, Sterling, Sessegnon (wild card pick)

Att - Kane, Vardy, Welbeck, Rashford

Goes to show how little is out there after you look past the usual suspects.

Can Delph play LWB? As far as I'm aware the main reason City stopped playing 3atb this season was because of Mendy's injury. That'd leave us with just Bertrand and Sessegnon as our LWBs. Young has been one of the best LBs in the league this season along with Robertson and Davies; I'll be very surprised if he doesn't go.

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Can Delph play LWB? As far as I'm aware the main reason City stopped playing 3atb this season was because of Mendy's injury. That'd leave us with just Bertrand and Sessegnon as our LWBs. Young has been one of the best LBs in the league this season along with Robertson and Davies; I'll be very surprised if he doesn't go.

A fair point (plus I'd forgotten him), he can have Delph's place.

On 4/15/2018 at 12:26 AM, CRW5252 said:

There is often a team who makes a late surge and ends up surviving. I fancy Southampton might manage it as they have a few winnable fixtures for their last few games. Swansea vs Southampton will likely be a very important match for the relegation fight.

Also, Stoke have Palace then Swansea for their last couple games. Also could be big.

I'm gunna be that guy. Called it 

After not caring all season if West Brom go down - and generally wanting them to when Pulis was in charge, I'm terribly dissappointed that it hasnt at least gone to the last day of the season.

Like you said earlier HJ - if only they had gotten rid of Pards 3 games earlier.

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Southampton probably deserve to stay up. I think they are the best team in the bottom 6. Swansea paying the price for poor recruitment Renato, Bony, Ayew and Abraham haven’t done enough.

To be fair to them that looked like great business at the start of the season!