Size of your.....tent

fiddler

14 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

So true . Exactly what I'm looking good for but about 3x what I was hoping to pay. I'll keep searching but thanks!

For what you're looking for I would suggest one of these Quencha tents at £70 and 6.5kg I don't think there's many negatives! Oh can't stand up in that one try This one instead it's 9.5kg but that's your trade off as it's only £80 and very very roomy!

Edited by sweetsounding

1 hour ago, sweetsounding said:

For what you're looking for I would suggest one of these Quencha tents at £70 and 6.5kg I don't think there's many negatives! Oh can't stand up in that one try This one instead it's 9.5kg but that's your trade off as it's only £80 and very very roomy!

Both great tents! I'm really tempted to go for the larger one...but I also take the train... so I know I'd be better off with a lighter tent... this is why I haven't bought one yet. Waiting for my magic giant cheap super light tent to come on the market :lol:

23 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Both great tents! I'm really tempted to go for the larger one...but I also take the train... so I know I'd be better off with a lighter tent... this is why I haven't bought one yet. Waiting for my magic giant cheap super light tent to come on the market :lol:

I know! I'm flying from Belfast so I had very few options (although my mum lives near the site so at least I can post stuff to her first if needs be) and getting everything to site is such a faff if you aren't driving yourself.

20 minutes ago, sweetsounding said:

I know! I'm flying from Belfast so I had very few options (although my mum lives near the site so at least I can post stuff to her first if needs be) and getting everything to site is such a faff if you aren't driving yourself.

Same deal for me as well! Coming from Canada but I have a friend in london that I'll ship it to so at least I don't have to fly with it. I learned from last year and I'm going to buy my air bed and sleeping bag on site to make the trip a bit easier. 

22 hours ago, MrZigster said:

But I've been moaning for years about mega selfish campers. My favourites over the years have to be the couple in Row Mead one year with a wigwam the size of a a proper tipi field tipi. Between two of them. Which they left behind. Also the bunch in/near Dairy/Pennards one year who had a dome shaped gazebo that was about the size of the Theatre Field's Astrolabe, complete with a "no strangers allowed" sign taped across it. Tossers.

No strangers allowed? What the actual f**k? Was that for real?

10 hours ago, Perks said:

No strangers allowed? What the actual f**k? Was that for real?

Can't say I accurately remember the wording, but it was along the lines of "Private keep out/Not a walk way".type thing. I always try to make a point of walking through set ups like that. Any protests and they'll get it pointed out to them (as I carry on walking) that camping fields are public areas. I get setting your camp up as a ring of tents etc, but taping stuff off is a hugely selfish antisocial no no for me. Taping off an already selfishly huge gazebo made that lot double c**ts afaic.

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Can't say I accurately remember the wording, but it was along the lines of "Private keep out/Not a walk way".type thing. I always try to make a point of walking through set ups like that. Any protests and they'll get it pointed out to them (as I carry on walking) that camping fields are public areas. I get setting your camp up as a ring of tents etc, but taping stuff off is a hugely selfish antisocial no no for me. Taping off an already selfishly huge gazebo made that lot double c**ts afaic.

Yeah I agree. That's well rude putting tape across. I've never witnessed anything like that there. Where were you camped?

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I'm with you on the taping off areas Mr Zigster. It really is an antisocial thing to do, and not within the spirit of the festival, as I see it.

Yes and no to taping areas off.  If they are of the 'keep out of our property' that should be a definite NO.

But we used to attach tape to all of our guy ropes just so they could be seen in the dark and not tripped over.  And we also marked a clear walkway past our tent to help people get past without tripping.  So taping, done sensibly, can be helpful and far from antisocial.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm with you on the taping off areas Mr Zigster. It really is an antisocial thing to do, and not within the spirit of the festival, as I see it.

Totally.

2 hours ago, Perks said:

Yeah I agree. That's well rude putting tape across. I've never witnessed anything like that there. Where were you camped?

I've only camped in the West twice, so that was one of the years I was either in Paines or Dairy, so looking at last years map said gazebozilla would have been in Park Home or where Arcadia is now I guess. It was right next to a path (and on or near a pathway junction if my memory is correct).

You've never seen people tape off their camping areas!!!??? I guess you camp close to a path. It's way too prevalent. When I first went in 1995 some people used to use the provided firewood to mark their camps boundaries and even built little fences, but never high enough that you couldn't step over them. There was room to do that then though. Anything higher than step over-able and you're definitely saying "this is my/our bit of land, stay out".

@grumpyhackluminous guy ropes are the future. Tying luminous/fluorescent bits of wool to guy ropes also seems to be catching on. Of course, you are veteran enough to know that class 101 of festival tent erection teaches that guy ropes should always be as close to the tent as you can get them, precisely to stop Norman Wisdom levels of entanglement hilarity subsequently ensuing.

4 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

You've never seen people tape off their camping areas!!!??

Sorry dude, I meant the 'no strangers allowed' stuff, yeah seen taped off areas, but never ones you can't walk through. I always say sorry if people are around when going through them, never seen angst yet..touch wood. We camped in bushy ground last year, it was the friendliest camping area, everyone camped by us was lovely, really talkative. But just wrong side of the site for us, hoping to go back to dairy / South Park this year

Tent capacity around 2x population is pretty sensible - you're there for a week - I wouldn't sweat it. You'll see people with 8+ man tents between 2 or less

The camping fields seem to get friendlier and nicer the further out you get anyway, but I've often wondered how much that's just down to the crowding and lack of social campsite action now

We have a hi gear aura 3 person stand up tent which is perfect for the 2 of us and really roomy.

However this time I'll be on my own which raises 2 issues:

(1) I'm working for Shelter who say with limited space in the staff camp they'll take down tents that are too big for purpose. A 3 person tent for 1 person isn't really that bad, but due to its height it looks more like a 5 person tent. Does anyone have experience of staff camps being really strict on this?

(2) it's 11.7kg & I've got it get from Birmingham to Bristol by public transport to.link up with the staff coach. It might be too heavy, or too awkward with a trolley.

On the other hand I don't want to get one just for this one off, nor do I really want to go back to a non stand up height tent when I'm working the festival as it'll be so much harder on my knees to have to crawl about.

But.....should I maybe just go back to a cheap little tent this once?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 9:35 AM, vintagelaureate said:

My group have this between some of us... but I'm wondering if it is too big and we would be better getting 3 - 3 man tents? Specially they'd only take up slightly less room though.

51XrrB22IIL._SX355_.jpg

That tent really does look the part, and has a great sized central living area - ideal if the wet stuff does come down too. And you can stand up in it. Personally, I'd be inclined to take that tent rather than 3 three man ones. I guess it depends on what time you arrive and where you want to camp too though.

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That tent really does look the part, and has a great sized central living area - ideal if the wet stuff does come down too. And you can stand up in it. Personally, I'd be inclined to take that tent rather than 3 three man ones. I guess it depends on what time you arrive and where you want to camp too though.

Thanks Yog. That's what I want to do. My mates want to go in Park Home but I think the tent will be too big (going from others advice!). Not sure when we will be there but probably for gates opening! Leaving the North West 3/4am.

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

Thanks Yog. That's what I want to do. My mates want to go in Park Home but I think the tent will be too big (going from others advice!). Not sure when we will be there but probably for gates opening! Leaving the North West 3/4am.

Might be an idea for one or two of you to run off with just the tent to Park Home when you do get in to the festival. That way you'll get a better chance of pitching it, and the rest can follow on with all the gear. Just a thought.