Red Day

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Beth Ditto is pretty big. 

3 minutes ago, idioteque87 said:

Really? I haven't heard anything from Beth Ditto since "Standing In The Way Of Control", honestly thought she was a one hit wonder. 

Haha, classic...

The Pretenders are a wonderful surprise, I thought they were ruled out because of TW Classic ! But I'll have to make choices on Friday now... Kaleo + Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats + Future Islands + The Pretenders + Radiohead without clashes doesn't seem probable ! Don't Get Me Wrong ! 

Speaking as a indie/alt kid, beyond the headliners is where the problem lies for me.

The last time I was at RW was 2014. Looking through the line up there I had the likes of The Black Keys, Biffy Clyro, Damon Albarn, Foals, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, Haim, Lykke Li, Parquet Courts, Robert Plant, MGMT, Midlake, Pixies, Placebo, Tuneyards, Royal Blood, Bombay Bicycle Club, Eels and Warpaint filling up the undercard below the headliners to my personal taste. This year I see Alt-J, Future Islands, Savages, Warpaint, Cigarettes After Sex, Royal Blood, James Blake, The Kills, Glass Animals, Cage The Elephant and Benjamin Clementine. All fine but a step down from 2014, I think.

I get that the headliners this year are bigger than 2014 but the likes of Metallica, Pearl Jam and Arctic Monkeys were hardly *that* cheap either, were they?

6 minutes ago, SDNL said:

Speaking as a indie/alt kid, beyond the headliners is where the problem lies for me.

The last time I was at RW was 2014. Looking through the line up there I had the likes of The Black Keys, Biffy Clyro, Damon Albarn, Foals, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, Haim, Lykke Li, Parquet Courts, Robert Plant, MGMT, Midlake, Pixies, Placebo, Tuneyards, Royal Blood, Bombay Bicycle Club, Eels and Warpaint filling up the undercard below the headliners to my personal taste. This year I see Alt-J, Future Islands, Savages, Warpaint, Cigarettes After Sex, Royal Blood, James Blake, The Kills, Glass Animals, Cage The Elephant and Benjamin Clementine. All fine but a step down from 2014, I think.

I get that the headliners this year are bigger than 2014 but the likes of Metallica, Pearl Jam and Arctic Monkeys were hardly *that* cheap either, were they?

This exactly

This is actually one of the better announcements for me. I have no idea who Beth Ditto is! Warpaint, Pretenders, and Thurston Moore are all great for me. I surprisingly haven't listened to much Thurston Moore solo which is weird since I love Sonic Youth. Three bands I'll see plus it's not over...good news! Still holding out hope for Kasabian and/or Dinosaur Jr next week.

2 minutes ago, t-roe79 said:

This is actually one of the better announcements for me. I have no idea who Beth Ditto is! Warpaint, Pretenders, and Thurston Moore are all great for me. I surprisingly haven't listened to much Thurston Moore solo which is weird since I love Sonic Youth. Three bands I'll see plus it's not over...good news! Still holding out hope for Kasabian and/or Dinosaur Jr next week.

Beth Ditto = Gossip 

10 minutes ago, SDNL said:

Rock Werchter 2014 was probably the best festival I've ever been to. After last year's edition clearly not as good, I didn't expect a bill of the current level. In my own, Prophets of Rage, Xavier Rudd, Whitney, Kaleo, The Pretenders, Nathaniel Rateliff, Future Islands, Seasick Steve, Crystal Fighters, Blues Pills, Nothing But Thieves, Blues Pills, The Lumineers, Rag'N'Bone Man and names of other last editions (Dropkick, Obel, Royal Blood, Alt-J, Imagine Dragons, Kodaline...) is a brilliant undercard. And the line-up isn't over !!!

More or less 6 names... I expect at least one sub (Kasabian or A Tribe Called Quest of The Killers). Biffy Clyro and Highly Suspect look like safe bets, I pray for Gogol Bordello.

What do you think of The Chainsmokers ? The videos I've seen of them at different electronic festivals didn't convince me.. I'm afraid they'll be not as good as the previous main stage closers (Chemical Brothers, Skrillex, The Prodigy, Major Lazer...)

to be honest, I find the 'top heavy' accusations for this line up a bit exaggerated. only Friday suffers clearly from this syndrome. Also Thursday has a big gap between the top 6 and the rest, and even there the gap has been slightly discreased with the addition of Beth Ditto.

When the likes of Machine Gun Kelly, Glass Animals or Cage The Elephant are on the lowest tier of the poster, I wouldn't say they book a lot of cheap fillers. 

Edited by neacaisa

8 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

Rock Werchter 2014 was probably the best festival I've ever been to. After last year's edition clearly not as good, I didn't expect a bill of the current level. In my own, Prophets of Rage, Xavier Rudd, Whitney, Kaleo, The Pretenders, Nathaniel Rateliff, Future Islands, Seasick Steve, Crystal Fighters, Blues Pills, Nothing But Thieves, Blues Pills, The Lumineers, Rag'N'Bone Man and names of other last editions (Dropkick, Obel, Royal Blood, Alt-J, Imagine Dragons, Kodaline...) is a brilliant undercard. And the line-up isn't over !!!

More or less 6 names... I expect at least one sub (Kasabian or A Tribe Called Quest of The Killers). Biffy Clyro and Highly Suspect look like safe bets, I pray for Gogol Bordello.

What do you think of The Chainsmokers ? The videos I've seen of them at different electronic festivals didn't convince me.. I'm afraid they'll be not as good as the previous main stage closers (Chemical Brothers, Skrillex, The Prodigy, Major Lazer...)

Nothing I've heaard by Chainsmokers suggests I'll like them but tbf I don't know them *that* well so maybe they'll surprise me.

My conclusion from this announcement

Want to see: The Pretenders (surprisingly good live), Warpaint

Might see: Milky Chance, Thurston Moore, Noname

Probably not, but nothing horrible about their music: Toothless,  Beth Ditto.

It turns out as a decent announcement. 

Edited by neacaisa

2 minutes ago, gunther Mickey said:

Friday is a wtf day actually. Two legendary bands (The Pretenders and Radiohead), a lot of belgian electronic bands, two indie/rock bands totally lost (Royal Blood and Kaleo) and one poppy band (Dua lipa). It's impossible to understand the logic of this day. 

Here is the explanation : 

jupiler.jpg

I'm assuming the "More additions to follow shortly" doesn't mean today as they probably wouldn't have made a new line up poster just to last a few hours :rolleyes: 

Happy to see Warpaint and Milky Chance added. Will have to try out the others

1 hour ago, visdave34 said:

I'm throwing it out here: with the absence of the second tier acts on Saturday and Sunday, could it be they have daily single announcements left for next week, with 5 relatively big acts?

For me personally a disappointing announcement today by the way. 

It's a good shout.

I mean, I personally don't believe there are any more big acts left to be announced but whether we'll have the last 5 as single announcements I don't think is a bad call.

Surely Monday would be "shortly" enough? :P