Tickets sent to friends lost in post

LuluC

11 minutes ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

No, I really hope they turn up for you.  They must be somewhere, they can't have just disappeared.  Please keep on trying and don't give up hope.  We're all rooting for you. xx

Thank you. I am absolutely astounded at the support & encouragement from complete strangers ♡ I have all the emails from Glastonbury Festivals, i even paid for all the tickets so i have email receipt with all our names on of which tickets I paid for. I have a photo of the tickets as well as proof that the letters were picked up by Royal Mail from the offiice where I paid for them. I was only offered 2 options  - signed for or signed for guaranteed by 1pm nxt day. As i didn't need them to be there so soon I chose the former only to find out once they were lost that they are only scanned in when they are delivered!!

13 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

what about contacting local papers your and friends end. they like a story like this if it's a quiet week.  something like "posty lost my golden tickets" worth a go?

Not yet. I'm going to give Royal.Mail.a chance to do something about it first and hopefylly it won't come to this...

Have you mentioned to Royal Mail that you will report these as stolen, it might give them the push they need to do a proper search, the fact that both envelopes are missing is very suspicious and I'm sure they would rather not have a visit from the police. 
Charm x

Edited by Charm

4 minutes ago, Charm said:

Have you mentioned to Royal Mail that you will report these as stolen, it might give them the push they need to do a proper search, the fact that both envelopes are missing is very suspicious and I'm sure they would rather not have a visit from the police. 
Charm x

Not yet but that will be my next step if they don't do something to assist me in finding the envelopes containing the tickets

Ok, so what's happened here is pretty straightforward, but in essence, you're on a wing and prayer with this one.

When items get sent via "Signed For" delivery, they go into a sack along with other parcels and letters.  Now the problem with letters containing things such as Glasto tickets, is that they don't weigh very much, so when the sacks get tipped out at the Sorting Office for items to be sorted and sent on their merry way to the correct Distribution Centre, quite often a few are going to end up tucked up in the corners of bags.  

Your only hope is that someone notices them when they next use said bag.  The issue with that is that there are THOUSANDS of bags in use with Royal Mail, some of which whizz round the country, others which sit in a corner dormant for a while, some which are in the back of vans and only get used when certain posties are in said van, etc. etc.  Now the likelihood is that the bag your envelopes were in went onto a pile which then would have gone back into circulation i.e. either picked up by the Collections Team the next day to go out and do more collections, or got whizzed off in a lorry somewhere with a ton of other mail, so it could be ANYWHERE in the country.  The likelihood of it being a "dormant" bag at this stage is lower than being back out in circulation.

I sympathise with Royal Mail; searching every single bag in the sorting office and the vans would take days.  And that's the reason why they offer different levels of cover for stuff we post.  A "Special Delivery" item is worth getting a couple of the lads to do a search of the office on overtime.  But a measly £50 "Signed For"... nope... it's cheaper for them just to cough up the £50 and be done with it.  Lesson learnt there I hope!  Glasto tickets should be sent with uber cover so that in the event they get lost, well guess what, here's a few grand to go and drown your sorrows with, even though it won't come remotely close to missing out on the Best Party on Earth.

I'd not bother listening to anyone's theory about them being stolen by a postie.  What person in their right mind would risk losing their well paid job for two items of mail with a maximum value of £100 combined.  Nope, not gonna happen.  Especially when it's a letter so the likelihood is that the contents aren't going to be particulalry easy to convert to cash.  Anyone who's on the rob in Royal Mail are VERY quickly sussed out, so they're not going to be going for the small pickings such as "Signed For" envelopes.

I'd refrain from going into your local Mail Centre/Sorting Office kicking off.  I would go down pleading that managers do an announcement during "Briefings" asking staff to check any bags they come across.  There's a slight chance the bag may still be in use by someone in that office, but there's every chance it's not.  Requesting that every single office in the UK do it... forget it! The likelihood is that someone will come across them in the next few days and pop them back into the system for processing and that's the reason why Royal Mail won't process claims until after 2 weeks have passed, because items do tend to get found by accident within this time frame.

How do I know?  Well I delivered a Special Delivery sent from Cornwall to Chester, which was found in the bottom of a mail sack in Durham.  It finally landed with the recipient 10 days after it was sent.  It happens... even with Special Deliveries.  I've also had moments of terror when I've discovered small parcels and letters in the bottom of my mail sacks/delivery pouches, only to breathe a sigh of relief when I realise it's nothing to do with my delivery.  I then just pop them back into the system for processing.  On a plus note, I've worked with some really lazy posties, and even they tend to check all bags and pouches at the end of their shift.

Summary for all:  NEVER let Glasto tickets out of your hands.  They're priceless, so no level of cover can protect them if handed to a 3rd party.  If you absolutely must, then ensure they go into a large box so they don't get stuck in the corner of any mail bags!

Good luck and fingers crossed they materialise in the next few days.

Oh... just another quick one:

Don't bother reporting them as "stolen".  There is absolutely NO evidence they have been stolen, so the Police will log them as "lost property" at the absolute most.  Royal Mail will NOT up their game if you threaten to report it to the Police because they know that the Police won't be taking any action.  Just don't even go there as it will get their backs up and any likelihood of them going "over and beyond" to find those tickets will dissipate quicker than you can say "cider".

Another approach for you to try here, the link below will give you the email address for senior people in big companies, send the Royal Mail CEO an email explaining how much these tickets mean to you and how they are irrepressible. It's amazing how bad publicity to senior management can get things moving.  

http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9559

16 minutes ago, Alexdw said:

Oh... just another quick one:

Don't bother reporting them as "stolen".  There is absolutely NO evidence they have been stolen, so the Police will log them as "lost property" at the absolute most.  Royal Mail will NOT up their game if you threaten to report it to the Police because they know that the Police won't be taking any action.  Just don't even go there as it will get their backs up and any likelihood of them going "over and beyond" to find those tickets will dissipate quicker than you can say "cider".

19 minutes ago, Alexdw said:

Ok, so what's happened here is pretty straightforward, but in essence, you're on a wing and prayer with this one.

When items get sent via "Signed For" delivery, they go into a sack along with other parcels and letters.  Now the problem with letters containing things such as Glasto tickets, is that they don't weigh very much, so when the sacks get tipped out at the Sorting Office for items to be sorted and sent on their merry way to the correct Distribution Centre, quite often a few are going to end up tucked up in the corners of bags.  

Your only hope is that someone notices them when they next use said bag.  The issue with that is that there are THOUSANDS of bags in use with Royal Mail, some of which whizz round the country, others which sit in a corner dormant for a while, some which are in the back of vans and only get used when certain posties are in said van, etc. etc.  Now the likelihood is that the bag your envelopes were in went onto a pile which then would have gone back into circulation i.e. either picked up by the Collections Team the next day to go out and do more collections, or got whizzed off in a lorry somewhere with a ton of other mail, so it could be ANYWHERE in the country.  The likelihood of it being a "dormant" bag at this stage is lower than being back out in circulation.

I sympathise with Royal Mail; searching every single bag in the sorting office and the vans would take days.  And that's the reason why they offer different levels of cover for stuff we post.  A "Special Delivery" item is worth getting a couple of the lads to do a search of the office on overtime.  But a measly £50 "Signed For"... nope... it's cheaper for them just to cough up the £50 and be done with it.  Lesson learnt there I hope!  Glasto tickets should be sent with uber cover so that in the event they get lost, well guess what, here's a few grand to go and drown your sorrows with, even though it won't come remotely close to missing out on the Best Party on Earth.

I'd not bother listening to anyone's theory about them being stolen by a postie.  What person in their right mind would risk losing their well paid job for two items of mail with a maximum value of £100 combined.  Nope, not gonna happen.  Especially when it's a letter so the likelihood is that the contents aren't going to be particulalry easy to convert to cash.  Anyone who's on the rob in Royal Mail are VERY quickly sussed out, so they're not going to be going for the small pickings such as "Signed For" envelopes.

I'd refrain from going into your local Mail Centre/Sorting Office kicking off.  I would go down pleading that managers do an announcement during "Briefings" asking staff to check any bags they come across.  There's a slight chance the bag may still be in use by someone in that office, but there's every chance it's not.  Requesting that every single office in the UK do it... forget it! The likelihood is that someone will come across them in the next few days and pop them back into the system for processing and that's the reason why Royal Mail won't process claims until after 2 weeks have passed, because items do tend to get found by accident within this time frame.

How do I know?  Well I delivered a Special Delivery sent from Cornwall to Chester, which was found in the bottom of a mail sack in Durham.  It finally landed with the recipient 10 days after it was sent.  It happens... even with Special Deliveries.  I've also had moments of terror when I've discovered small parcels and letters in the bottom of my mail sacks/delivery pouches, only to breathe a sigh of relief when I realise it's nothing to do with my delivery.  I then just pop them back into the system for processing.  On a plus note, I've worked with some really lazy posties, and even they tend to check all bags and pouches at the end of their shift.

Summary for all:  NEVER let Glasto tickets out of your hands.  They're priceless, so no level of cover can protect them if handed to a 3rd party.  If you absolutely must, then ensure they go into a large box so they don't get stuck in the corner of any mail bags!

Good luck and fingers crossed they materialise in the next few days.

Hindsight is a great thing. Had I known at the time that signed for was treated as normal first class with a signature at the end there is no way I would have chose that form of delivery. I was only offered signed for or signed for next day when I went topost tem and as I didn't need them there the next day I chose the former. I only realised my mistake when I tried to track the numbers on the Roya Mail website. I don't want to get Royal Mail's backs up, I just want them to help me in some way. I have cried and pleaded all in vain. In fact I have done nothing but cry all week. I don't believe they are stolen either. I think they are in the bottom of a bag somewhere.  I have also found out that tickets aren't covered in the £50 compensation so not only will we not be able to get in to Festival we will not get any compensation either. I'm hoping Glastonbury Festival will sympathise that I genuinely made a mistake and tell us they will issue tickets at the gate for us. As I have previously posted I can provide lots of evidence that I paid for the tickets and we can all go to the ticket gates together with our ID. I have the ticket numbers, registration numbers, receipt of payment for all 4 tickets etc

Edited by LuluC
missed details out

11 minutes ago, GlastoLuvvinJock said:

Another approach for you to try here, the link below will give you the email address for senior people in big companies, send the Royal Mail CEO an email explaining how much these tickets mean to you and how they are irrepressible. It's amazing how bad publicity to senior management can get things moving.  

Thanks for the tip. I'll use it if I need to

13 minutes ago, GlastoLuvvinJock said:

Good idea.  It's Moya Greene and she seems pretty approachable.  The standard format for Royal Mail would give you an email addy of moya.greene@royalmail.co.uk

Give it a go.

17 minutes ago, dexydexy said:

In this thread here Royal Mail checked the CCTV and managed to track down the tickets! Might that be worth a shot?

I kind of very much doubt that... more likely they were just found down the side of two cabinets.  No Delivery Office Manager worth his salt is going to get someone to watch several hours of CCTV from dozens of cameras, hoping that they spot the exact second an item falls somewhere it's not supposed to.  Said task would take hundreds of hours in total.  Didn't happen, I'd bet my house on it.

Hopefully they turn up in time, as mentioned chances are they are just at the bottom of a bag somewhere and will end up back in the system in time.

If not it's worth pointing out that the ticket office at the festival itself has ultimate discretion about allowing people in, I have known people both pre and post photo ID (and both post fence) who have managed to get in despite having their tickets stolen (arguably lost, no crime reference no) - they will make you jump through a lot of hoops but I have not heard of anyone being turned away who has had a genuine issue. If it comes down to it go armed with all the evidence, a smile and a positive attitude and I'm confident they will help.

9 hours ago, LuluC said:

I questioned the postman myself. All he says is he took what he signed for at post office to the mail centre. Spoke to manager at Mail Centre yesterday who refused to search mail centre as too big & 100s of mail bags!!

as they seem to just keep shrugging their shoulders, next week I'd be getting the full name of the Mail Centre manager, and then ask for the names of anyone else involved as you will be making a formal complaint to RM and going to the police regarding suspected theft of a letter by an employee, or something like that. might light a fire under the manager's arse. whether or not you actually follow through with it is another matter, but if it's the middle of next week and no-one is bothering doing anything then I can't see what good just sitting around crossing your fingers is going to do.

Edited by ghostdancer1

26 minutes ago, Alexdw said:

I kind of very much doubt that... more likely they were just found down the side of two cabinets.  No Delivery Office Manager worth his salt is going to get someone to watch several hours of CCTV from dozens of cameras, hoping that they spot the exact second an item falls somewhere it's not supposed to.  Said task would take hundreds of hours in total.  Didn't happen, I'd bet my house on it.

13 minutes ago, blackred said:

Hopefully they turn up in time, as mentioned chances are they are just at the bottom of a bag somewhere and will end up back in the system in time.

If not it's worth pointing out that the ticket office at the festival itself has ultimate discretion about allowing people in, I have known people both pre and post photo ID (and both post fence) who have managed to get in despite having their tickets stolen (arguably lost, no crime reference no) - they will make you jump through a lot of hoops but I have not heard of anyone being turned away who has had a genuine issue. If it comes down to it go armed with all the evidence, a smile and a positive attitude and I'm confident they will help.

I was just about to email Glastonbury Festival agaiin pleading my case to see if they will be sympathetic this time when i tell them what has happened & that it was a genuine mistake on my part. Is it worth trying them again and explaining re why Royal Mail can't help me.???

13 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

as they seem to just keep shrugging their shoulders, next week I'd be getting the full name of the Mail Centre manager, and then ask for the names of anyone else involved as you will be making a formal complaint to RM and going to the police regarding suspected theft of a letter by an employee, or something like that. might light a fire under the manager's arse. whether or not you actually follow through with it is another matter, but if it's the middle of next week and no-one is bothering doing anything then I can't see what good just sitting around crossing your fingers is going to do.

I have the name of the manager but i don't want to get their backs up by getting angry. I just want someone to help me...

6 minutes ago, LuluC said:

I have the name of the manager but i don't want to get their backs up by getting angry. I just want someone to help me...

doesn't sound like they're doing much to help you at the moment, just fobbing you off because it'll probably turn up eventually.

"eventually" isn't good enough though given the time constraints here.

as I said, wait until midway through next week before doing anything in case it does turn up, but just passively waiting and hoping after that isn't going to achieve much.

Edited by ghostdancer1

3 hours ago, LuluC said:

Not yet. I'm going to give Royal.Mail.a chance to do something about it first and hopefylly it won't come to this...

how about a less confrontational message calling all the postmen to help find your tickets. and offer small reward in the local paper for the man who finds them. I have retweeted BTW.  really really hope they turn up

They have clearly been stolen by the guy that picked them up from the post office. You are perfectly within your right to call the police and report them as stolen. Whether they do anything about it is not your problem. But you will have a better chance of getting your friends into the festival with a crime reference from the police along with all the paperwork.