Would you like a fairer way to buy tickets?

porthoshsc

Would you prefer a 'submit your application in advance and get randomly allocated tickets' process?'  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer a 'submit your application in advance and get randomly allocated tickets' process? (There would still be a way to request group tickets)

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Glastonbury does have a loyalty system, by the way folks.

If you've been going to the festival for ten years and made yourself a part of it, talked to people, figured out what you can bring to it and how you can contribute, you'll have figured out how to get a staff/performers ticket by now.

If you just go every year and just take from the festival, and don't give (and I'm not criticising, that's me too), then you don't deserve to be there any more than anyone else, and so you have the same shot at tickets. Trust me, the people that do deserve to be there more than us are sorted.

I've worked it 16 years and to a degree your right ,

I think allowing people to pay a deposit and not the full amount at one go, and internet sales drove up demand,

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Essentially no-one wants a fair system. Everyone wants a system that would given them and their mates the best shot at getting tickets.

Me included.

It's just I'm not trying to claim that my preferred system is in any way the most fair one, in order to soothe my conscience over the fact that I'm really selfish when it comes to Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, jonny2mad said:

I think allowing people to pay a deposit and not the full amount at one go, and internet sales drove up demand,

I'm sure it did. That was the point of the deposit system! It was to make the festival more accessible to those who couldn't afford to save up and pay in one go, especially if they didn't even know if they'd get tickets or not. Making the festival more accessible inevitably means increasing demand. Is that a bad thing though?

Just now, DeanoL said:

I'm sure it did. That was the point of the deposit system! It was to make the festival more accessible to those who couldn't afford to save up and pay in one go, especially if they didn't even know if they'd get tickets or not. Making the festival more accessible inevitably means increasing demand. Is that a bad thing though?

no I suppose not but its part of why it sells out so fast these days

1 hour ago, jonny2mad said:

I noticed that the first year they started to sell tickets online was the very first year people started to have problems getting tickets, the year before that I went to a ticket shop in bristol with cash and bought whatever number you could buy at one time, I think about 4 tickets . there was no queue although a tiny build up of people started after me I was there when the tickets first went on sale . I would like to go back to ticket shops and queues and cash money, none of this computer stuff .

I think queue's are fairer to the people who really want to go . For kate bush's last night I went the day before the last night at 4 o' clock and was willing to queue all night, I would do that for any performance I really wanted to see

Exactly what I think. We are British for crying out loud we love queing and we do it properly! ;)

As soon as bookings go online that's when problems start because it's all down to luck. Why should someone miss out just because they live some with crap WiFi or even worse mobile signal.

Everyone who can go to Glastonbury can go to a shop.

1 hour ago, Jennings74 said:

NO

as much as the current system is a pain in the arse and bloody frustrating..... its the same for everyone so we are all equal.

if you want a fairer way to get a ticket for the regular Glastonbury attendee it should be left to the campsite stewards for those campers who love the farm and leave no trace.  Those who only leave the footprint of yellow grass where their tent once stood could be given a pass to buy their tickets a week early as a sign of respecting Michael's beautiful farm..... hard to police who is a 'clean' camper but it would reward those who are.

I love this idea

19 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

Exactly what I think. We are British for crying out loud we love queing and we do it properly! ;)

As soon as bookings go online that's when problems start because it's all down to luck. Why should someone miss out just because they live some with crap WiFi or even worse mobile signal.

This is cool too and so was Kate Bush!

22 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

I think the luck element is kind of key to it being fair. And everyone who can go to Glastonbury can go to their nearest establishment with wifi.

2 hours ago, Jennings74 said:

NO

as much as the current system is a pain in the arse and bloody frustrating..... its the same for everyone so we are all equal.

if you want a fairer way to get a ticket for the regular Glastonbury attendee it should be left to the campsite stewards for those campers who love the farm and leave no trace.  Those who only leave the footprint of yellow grass where their tent once stood could be given a pass to buy their tickets a week early as a sign of respecting Michael's beautiful farm..... hard to police who is a 'clean' camper but it would reward those who are.

I like this idea!!!

I agree that ticket day is brutal but I can't see a better way, people get through on all types of devices and internet speeds, there's a good mix of newbies and regulars and the really dedicated can already enhance their chances, best to stick with what we have. 
Charm x

I think the system is about as fair as it can be. Some people might think 'dedicated' glasto-goers should be given preference, others think someone who's been trying without success to get a ticket for the last 10 years should get a chance, but no one really has any 'right' to a ticket. All you can do is get organised, get friends and family to help out, and try your best on ticket day. After that, if you're unsuccessful but desperate to go, there are resales, volunteer opportunities, and so on. Maybe not enough to meet demand, but that's just a side effect of it's popularity. 

The one thing I would like to change about the buying process, is the number of people getting right through the reg numbers, delivery details and payment screens, only to find they're sold out. Surely it shouldn't be too hard to sort out? I can certainly understand people feeling a bit fed up when that happens. 

I'd also quite like to see people who act in a way that's not in keeping with the 'glastonbury spirit', or whatever you want to call it, prevented from attending again, at least for a while. People who piss on the land, act aggressively or dangerously, or volunteer for stewarding/litter picking etc. but don't turn up for shifts can all take a hike as far as I'm concerned. 

9 minutes ago, musky said:

I think the luck element is kind of key to it being fair. And everyone who can go to Glastonbury can go to their nearest establishment with wifi.

To be fair if I lived out in the country, say on a farm miles from the nearest village let alone town or city and tickets went on sale at 9pm or later I would not be able to get to somewhere with wifi. If tickets were over the counter like all tickets used to be or even on phone lines for me that would be fairer. As a nation and generally as a world civilisation we rely on the internet way too much. Personally I actually think the system is fair enough but maybe that's because I know how to press f5, know how to copy and paste, use the internet, have good reliable internet and can call on enough people to help me out but for someone like my dad who has unreliable internet connection and has fat finger syndrome it's unfair as he then has to rely on me to get him tickets.

imo the only way to make it fairer is to be like ticketmaster (and I hate ticketmaster with a passion) and to have the tickets reserved for an allotted time whilst you fill in your details so you don't lose the tickets when your on booking page coz it's all sold out.  That being said I don't need to buy tickets as I am crew but I do try for others on ticket day and have never been near the booking page in the last 4 years!

34 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

To be fair if I lived out in the country, say on a farm miles from the nearest village let alone town or city and tickets went on sale at 9pm or later I would not be able to get to somewhere with wifi. If tickets were over the counter like all tickets used to be or even on phone lines for me that would be fairer. As a nation and generally as a world civilisation we rely on the internet way too much. Personally I actually think the system is fair enough but maybe that's because I know how to press f5, know how to copy and paste, use the internet, have good reliable internet and can call on enough people to help me out but for someone like my dad who has unreliable internet connection and has fat finger syndrome it's unfair as he then has to rely on me to get him tickets.

I completely agree that use of the internet isn't entirely a level playing field for the reasons you mention, although there are ways to mitigate this - if of course you're knowledgeable enough to know they exist. But quite honestly it would be far easier for people in remote areas to get themselves to somewhere with an internet connection for 20-30 minutes than queue for hours at the nearest stockist of tickets (which is likely to be far further away) for an over the counter sale.

Fair point about the phone lines, but in practice only a small percentage were sold over the phone. It was almost impossible to get a ringing tone as everyone who was trying over the internet was also trying the phone lines

3 hours ago, porthoshsc said:

The current system of a free for all on one (two including coach) day seems a bit archaic. People get very frustrated with the site going down. People who aren't available at that time often miss out.

Would you prefer a system where you simply submit your request for a ticket or tickets for a group and your payment details at any time? Then on a given date, it randomly allocates them?

What's fairer than a free for all?

I would like to see the £50 deposit dropped and full payment made at time of booking. If you're that keen on going then you'll get the funds in place for October rather than pay a deposit and wait for rumours/ lineups to be announced then request a refund as 'i don't like the lineup of music artists'. I say this as it's a performing arts festival not a music festival. 

Would also like to see a max of 4 tickets per person/ order (even though 6 of us regularly go in my group) and no way of backing up the browser's to double dip, I.e. get 4 tickets then retry for the next lot. Although I think this has been improved upon in the last couple of years. 

Just my opinion obviously and no research/ data to back up/ prove it will help. Got tickets in resale last two years having gone every festival since 2005. Luck will run out one year though!

This is something I have actually thought long and hard about, and have yet to think of something fairer than what is already in place. 

I believe it's as fair as can be and do think that determination will work in most cases, but still a fair few who probably couldn't of tried harder each year, yet miss out. 

It is ashame, because it really does mean so much to so many, and is quite hard to take when you have to wait another year, just for another sniff at tickets. The only festival where you just can't guarantee when you will be back again. 

First World problems hey. When you look at the bigger picture, I guess you just have to accept it and find a substitute for this week of the year....who am I kidding. I missed out but am working it, couldn't face not being there.

Edited by joeltg

1 hour ago, ourkid1984 said:

To be fair if I lived out in the country, say on a farm miles from the nearest village let alone town or city and tickets went on sale at 9pm or later I would not be able to get to somewhere with wifi. If tickets were over the counter like all tickets used to be or even on phone lines for me that would be fairer.

How does that work? You live somewhere without internet access and presumably you don't drive, so you can't get anywhere with internet access after 9pm. But you would somehow be able to travel miles to the nearest town to buy them in person?