David Bowie RIP

Woffy

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Was listening to scary monsters on the way in. This is an album I'd pretty much dismissed previously. But it's superb!

That's lodger and now this I've changed my opinion of in the last couple of weeks. Great stuff

Scary Monsters is excellent. weirdly it was the first Bowie album i ever listened to due to Marilyn Manson saying it was one of his favourites in a issue of Kerrang! magazine, me being a huge fan at the time

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Also reevaluated the latter part of diamond dogs recently. Always loved side one but the 1984 musical stuff less so. But we are the dead and 1984 are brilliant on reflection

Yes, and Big Brother is great too. I particularly love his version on 'David Live' from 1974.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Hes having a right chuckle to himself wherever he is about how bad this was.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to add funk trumpets to Heroes should be shot.

It was just...appalling.

But she got a Bowie tattoo beforehand so apparently that's, like, you know, like awesome, man.

41 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I actually don't mind Gaga, multi talented, great singer etc. Shite music though. But it was so tacky. Trying to parody and imitate the man. You can't imitate the unique.

Anyway, Bowie would've loved it. He had a great dark sense of humour. 

He probably would appreciate Rebel Rebel riff being slaughtered again.

http://performingsongwriter.com/david-bowie-songs/

I can tell you a very funny story about that.  One night, I was in London in a hotel trying to get some sleep. It was quite late, like 11 or 12 at night, and I had some big deal thing on the next day, a TV show or something, and I heard this riff being played really badly from upstairs. I thought, “Who the hell is doing this at this time of night?” On an electric guitar, over and over [sings riff to “Rebel Rebel” in a very hesitant, stop and start way]. So I went upstairs to show the person how to play the thing (laughs).

So I bang on the door. The door opens, and I say, “Listen, if you’re going to play… ” and it was John McEnroe! I kid you not (laughs). It was McEnroe, who saw himself as some sort of rock guitar player at the time. That could only happen in a movie, couldn’t it? McEnroe trying to struggle his way through the “Rebel Rebel” riff.