So what went on with the holding page?

DeanoL

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone who didnt need a ticket went through and took the slot of someone who did want a ticket. That someone could have been me, or zoo music girl. 

Rather than a tit who wanted to see....what exactly?

Sociopath: A person with antisocial personality disorder. Probably the most widely recognized personality disorder. They do not care about other people. They think mainly of themselves and often blame others for the things that they do. They have a complete disregard for rules and lie constantly. They seldom feel guilt or learn from punishments. Though some sociopaths have become murders, most reveal their sociopathy through less deadly and sensational means (eg by going on "trial runs" on Glastonbury coach ticket sales day).
Charles Manson 
Ted Bundy 
Certain eFestivals messageboard users
All are sociopaths.
Edited by russycarps

I feel that every bit of pressure put on the system could have a negative impact. On Thursday I got through to add regs and coach times loads. Who's to say that people doing trial runs didn't overload these pages and see me getting kicked out?

I'm not very techie so that might not be the case but it's annoying alright. Keep it to yourself if you do that next time please.

The millisecond someone on a trial run got through to the buy tickets page could have been the slot I would have got had they not tried.

There's absolutely nothing for them to gain from doing it. So why do it? 

And then to make a thread saying how they got through to the buying tickets page and then closed it down! Surely it's obvious how intensely irritating that is to read when you have been unsuccessful?

Well what they do is extend the time the sale takes, which many here have stated would be a plus?

someone who didnt need a ticket went through and took the slot of someone who did want a ticket. That someone could have been me, or zoo music girl. 

Rather than a tit who wanted to see....what exactly?

Oh yeah I agree they're being a tit. Bit it's low-level tittiness. Imagine someone organising a DDOS against the site for the entirety of the sale weekend. Now them's some big tits.

I feel that every bit of pressure put on the system could have a negative impact. On Thursday I got through to add regs and coach times loads. Who's to say that people doing trial runs didn't overload these pages and see me getting kicked out?

I'm not very techie so that might not be the case but it's annoying alright. Keep it to yourself if you do that next time please.

Who's to say a trial runner didn't just block someone else from getting that page giving you the chance? It really doesn't make any difference to the big picture the system is overloaded with many multiples of hits from everyone, some of them from people who don't even go to the festival but who are trying for a friend to give them a better chance. Is that fair? do you resent those people adding their traffic to the system?

Who's to say a trial runner didn't just block someone else from getting that page giving you the chance? It really doesn't make any difference to the big picture the system is overloaded with many multiples of hits from everyone, some of them from people who don't even go to the festival but who are trying for a friend to give them a better chance. Is that fair? do you resent those people adding their traffic to the system?

no because they are trying for a ticket for their friends.

The voyeurs serve no positive purpose whatsoever.

Edited by russycarps

I take you didn't go on glastonbury.seetickets.com before 9.am. Sunday then? Because there was absolutlely no point looking at the site until tickets went on sale.

I dont follow you. The only times I went on to the seetickets website was when I was trying to purchase tickets.

As I'm not a busybody curtain twitcher, I felt no desire to spy on proceedings.

So if you had 10 people and 10 loaves of bread, would you consider it fair for totally random distribution, which may involve some people getting 2 loaves and some people getting 0 or would it be fairer to distribute 1 loaf to each person.

Obviously, the Glastonbury ticket sale is more complex than that, but the point stands - random isn't the same thing as fair.

Bingo. I'd be all up for addresses being blocked after one transaction goes through - initially seems harsh but if it's a group of six that's strictly five more still with a chance to get in for others - but it would tilt things back to a happier place I think. It's sad seeing the folk who got in again and again, they probably did get tickets for folk that wanted them so no fault there it's just so painful for the people who didn't get through at all

Ok, my million dollar question is what to do if you consistently get an error page and not the holding page

On Sunday I had 3 laptops using 3 browsers & never even got to the holding page. I didn't connect to SEE until 8.50 & because I was at my mums I wasn't on my own laptop where I'd been on SEE recently

I think if I could at least have got the holding page I'd have been able to get through, but getting white screens left me flummoxed!

I'd be interested in anyone knows what balancing system they do use and how it works

See use Riverbed Stingray balancers. Mixed opinion on the exact set up but the most likely is 3 public DNS records pointing to 3 balancers each in front of a VM farm of webheads and a backend database tier.

I managed to get on, had 2 laptops with chrome and 1 tab open on each. Loaded the see tickets page about 10 mins before the sale and after an initial lag they loaded and got the refresh page. Let one countdown and kept getting stuck on 1 second but other than that worked fine.

Hi,

so I only got to the holding page each time (countdown went to 1 and stopped) and never got any.

My missus, who was sat beside me, only got the white screen and 4 other mates in their own houses also got nowhere.

So we're 0/6:(

I use incognito mode in Chrome and private in Firefox. 

Tell sites I do not want to be tracked

Use Ghostery.

Would any of this have prevented me from gaining access to buy tickets?

Edited by hitechjazz

Hi,

so I only got to the holding page each time (countdown went to 1 and stopped) and never got any.

My missus, who was sat beside me, only got the white screen and 4 other mates in their own houses also got nowhere.

So we're 0/6:(

I use incognito mode in Chrome and private in Firefox. 

Tell sites I do not want to be tracked

Use Ghostery.

Would any of this have prevented me from gaining access to buy tickets?

None of that would have prevented you getting tickets I don't think.

Really though as soon as you see the countdown, just refresh the page. You're just wasting time watching it count down.

Whether it has an effect or not you must be able to see how galling it feels to the ticketless to read "I got straight through on a test run" so discretion would be nice.

No one said that- I didn't get through to the payment screen at all on the Thursday, just the holding page- I did a trial run in case there was a cookie or something that made it more likely I would get through on the Sunday (vaguely remember cookie talk a few years ago), then logged off. I mentioned it in regard to trying to fathom out why some people got through to the the ticket screen fine on Sunday and some didn't repeatedly- if we knew why then it would help us all in future. It's awful not to get a ticket and I don't blame you for getting p'ed off though, especially if you read it as "I got straight through on a test run"- it doesn't seem fair you kept getting the white screen, I was simply offering the anecdote to try and work out why so we could all avoid it in future.

If that's sociopathic (according to Russy), then all ticket buyers are sociopaths because by getting a ticket we denied a ticket to someone else- and worse, some people celebrated this! And then after their selfish desires were fulfilled, they THEN they tried for other people to appear like selfless and generous people! Ridiculous.

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you specifically but every year some people go straight through to booking page on the coach sale then just shut it down. I'm always reading it.

As I said getting through to coach selection on Thursday in no way helped me get much beyond the white screen on Sunday so I guess it's not worth doing test runs on Thursday in future.