Chaos.

devilman

Pop didn't change from indie to EDM and X factor in 2012. The booking policy did. variety went and a different audience was targeted. It's in the numbers as someone around here is fond of saying. Except it really isn't as they will be finding out.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pop didn't change from indie to EDM and X factor in 2012. The booking policy did. variety went and a different audience was targeted. It's in the numbers as someone around here is fond of saying. Except it really isn't as they will be finding out.

I agree. There's always been pop of sorts but T only recently started booking reality tv pop shite and in the process pissed off a lot of people who had been regulars for years.

Don't know what was wrong with the line up I thought it targeted all ages there was the guetta's Ronson's etc for one group then noel the libertines would appeal to a different group[/quote

And over 200 quid to see a couple of acts. Afraid paying that kinda cash to see a few bands and the same repeats from last year and the year before. No ta

We've been thru this before. Instead of following the trends it got stuck at indie landfill, and realised too late that things had moved on. So it made a bit of a big leap to move on.

Even Reading/Leeds has moved on from indie landfill to a large extent.

The problem for those like you is that the indie landfill was your sort of thing and today's EDM isn't. You'd get pretty much the same reaction if you offered one of today's EDM kids that indie line-up of yesteryear.

There's a few other issues around it all too tho, which festies are yet to get to grips with. They're not doing the best job they could with their bookings at the mo, but they are in the right ball-park.

Fashions come and go, so it might not be till the next musical change that contemporary festies pick up again, or they might never pick back up at all. Maybe the image of dinosaur-band headliners is killing off the attractiveness to 'the kids', or maybe it's becoming what old people do.

Who knows, maybe T's time has come altogether. Scotland didn't have a festival of note for 25+ years after England and there's no guarantee that anything has to continue forever. Stuff changes.

We've been thru this before. Instead of following the trends it got stuck at indie landfill, and realised too late that things had moved on. So it made a bit of a big leap to move on.

The problem for those like you is that the indie landfill was your sort of thing and today's EDM isn't. You'd get pretty much the same reaction if you offered one of today's EDM kids that indie line-up of yesteryear.

There's a few other issues around it all too tho, which festies are yet to get to grips with. They're not doing the best job they could with their bookings at the mo, but they are in the right ball-park.

Fashions come and go, so it might not be till the next musical change that contemporary festies pick up again, or they might never pick back up at all. Maybe the image of dinosaur-band headliners is killing off the attractiveness to 'the kids', or maybe it's becoming what old people do.

Who knows, maybe T's time has come altogether. Scotland didn't have a festival of note for 25+ years after England and there's no guarantee that anything has to continue forever. Stuff changes.

Yup spot on and you've said it before and it's correct. Indie so to speak started dieing out a few years ago, even bloody Ricky Wilson said that and turned Kaiser Chiefs into a pop group to get back on the ladder. Bands were living off of one song for a while and not producing anything long standing. It says everything when dance sells better easily so matter how much you try promote rock, or lack of it around. Calvin is Scottish and Avicii isn't as big but to sell your day ticket allocation instantly last year certainly was a statement.

Nonsense?????

I know this from Security AND Police that were working there who are friends of mine.

If you were there and thought it was great organization u are 100% in the minority pal.

Am not saying anything about the organisation, am saying that story about the security being sent home is nonsense.

I've been here since 16th June and here till 25th July and that is not correct information you've been told.

Altogether had a great weekend. Obvious issues of size of site and access routes but I would say that DF concerts will learn from their mistakes and it can really only get better. The weather is something we can't do anything about so no point in anyone complaining about that.

Did anyone notice them advertising next years t? Every year I've been they have always advertised the early bird ticket sales, possibly a sign that it might not be on next year?

I HAD A GOOD TIME :) (Hope that's ok to say....:/).

Sounds like all the trouble was for the day people on friday and saturday, at least they got it sorted for yous by Sunday.

Maybe most of the trouble was on the East side anyway, certainly the west campers exit last night was running ok, helped by no rain across the sunday.

I HAD A GOOD TIME :) (Hope that's ok to say....:/).

Sounds like all the trouble was for the day people on friday and saturday, at least they got it sorted for yous by Sunday.

Maybe most of the trouble was on the East side anyway, certainly the west campers exit last night was running ok, helped by no rain across the sunday.

Still people stuck on site, so I wouldn't say they have it sorted at all!

I've never been to T, but personally my music tastes are pretty bland, I like my 'landfill indie' with a bit of pop here and there, and to be honest I think this year's lineup would've suited me perfectly. But I've said that for the last 10 years or so, and it's always been big lists of similar bands, generally on repetition . For those who say the lineup's shite, what sort of different music have the djs replaced that suddenly makes t worse than before? Serious question - I'm interested as to be honest my list below from what I've seen of the lineups in the past could be interchangeable with most years I've looked at it and thought 'I fancy that'. Is it just offence at the presence of dance music like (I think) Neil suggests or has it replaced something different to the sort of bands I've listed?

Below are the acts I'd have watched:

Noel, libertines, courteeners, kasabian. Stereophonics, prodigy (if they weren't clashing) - all near the top of the lineup time-wise from what I could tell. Then cribs, idlewild, Paul Heaton and jacqui Abbott, St Vincent, Palma violets, circa waves, alt j, wolf Alice, everything everything and a few others. Then a bit of pop with paloma, Charli xcx, Ezra and a few others.

I was also in the crush between Radio 1 and the Libertines on Saturday, and I have to say, it was bloody scary....as a short person I can't see above heads,it was a total free for all shove-fest, and when you feel your feet being moved with no control, plus being pushed over and with a fist fight breaking out with punches being landed inches from my 15 year old's face. Not life threatening....debatable. When you're pressed up against the railings as far as you can be, against the only exit, it's pretty damn scary. We were lucky, poor episodes in an otherwise great weekend!!!

Edited by kezzawizz

Im reading a lot of negative posts on here. My experience was different. I camped offsite (the one they tried to blame for traffic problems) I had a great time we had to walk back to site as buses couldnt get in but it was a 40 min walk on a country road but cars back all the way up so it was well lit. Campsite was great no trouble all good people. Ellis and Co trying to blame them was pathetic as the infrastucture for buses etc was useless.

In terms of the venue I thought it was well laid out other than the crush point outide Tuts but part of the problem there was the cocktail tent attracting big crowds.

Also liked the Tennants arms great a spot on the roof an always got a seat.

Mucially I thought Fatboy Slim was great, Kasabian, The Libs, Paul Heaton and JAzqui Abbott, Noel G and also loved Gerry Cinammon in the T Break stage

I am glad that we camped offsite as heard horror stories about the campsite and had the car there which meant all our stuff within yards of the tent and we could leave straight after Sunday nite to an empty road and around an hours trip back to Glasgow

I too was at the unofficial campsite and echo your thoughts. We walked it each night and it was in no way a nightmare. Our campsite was well run and as you say no probs leaving (we left 9am Monday). Agree about a few tweaks to the arena layout but not sure how they sort the traffic unless they copy the Ryder cup and ban all unofficial vehicles and have a park and ride ironically enough at balado! Will be an interesting few weeks to see what happens. For the record though Colin Rodger at df concerts should get his facts right about the unofficial campsite being the issue. The majority of walkers were looking for their lift in the queue or meeting their bus at Kinnell bridge...

If this is true how come an EDM DJ hasn't headlined Glastonbury yet? or are they behind the times too. It feels more like DF have been consciously trying to cut corners ever since losing their partnership with Oxygen festival by reducing the number of acts, stages and focusing more on pop acts and DJs while charging increased prices. I mean 2011 had a lot of what could be considered indie landfill but still sold out so I'm not sure it was something they need to move on from. 

Edited by addicted2noise

Had a great time at T this year. I definitely agree that both the main stage and Radio 1 stage are poorly positioned and that the arena is too small. Where I was camped was quite nice, no floods no mud so that was helpful. However, my group and a group of Scots came together to drink after Sunday's headliners and I injured my ankle. The medical staff were helpful and gave me a lift to the pick up zone for our coach but left me there alone. I had no phone, nobody with me and I was literally alone for 4 hours unable to walk on my right leg. Asked for help twice from the T stewards and they told me they were busy. Good weekend, disgusting treatment