Distance covered

alibear

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea, but considering on the Sunday night/Monday morning alone I trekked up the hill of death after no sleep at 6am to wake my girlfriend up in our tent which was about the furthest back up at unworthy view, then walked across the whole site to see her off on the bus, then walked back across site and back up the hill to pack up, I'd be reasonably surprised if I hadn't got close to some sort of stupid record. This is definitely not a good thing as I discovered when I nearly collapsed waiting for the train home.

Did 35,000 steps on Thursday, phone conked out on Friday but I'm pretty sure I did my most steps on Sunday walking from John Peel to my tent in South Park 3 times as well as walking all around the site exploring. Hobbling around the house covered in blisters today, back to my bar job tomorrow

Some will have GPS as well, but here's a handy conversion tool: http://www.convertunits.com/from/steps/to/miles

..not sure how accurate it'd be, but gives a good indication.

Not very accurate is the answer. One persons steps will be quite a bit different to someone else's and will vary quite wildly depending on the speed you are moving at. The variation in my stride length, as guestimated by the running watch, varied by 15cm at different points of a marathon run where I'm essentially running the same speed all the way...or at least trying to. A few cm difference in two peoples stride length over the course of 20000 steps and they could have covered several miles different distance for the same number of steps.

Edit: There is also a wide difference between what one device/ app will call a step and another. From my stats for the Thursday above where both devices counted a very similar number of steps, they calculated over 2 miles difference for the distance covered.

Edited by robin

Wed - 27023 steps - 13.94 miles

Thur - 25850 steps - 13.33 miles

Fri - 21221 steps - 10.94 miles

Sat - 23943 steps - 12.35 miles

Sun - 22725 steps - 11.74 miles

I also rode my bicycle from Bristol to the Festival over two days, and out to Castle Cary after.

As usual at the festival I didn't lose any weight but my fat mass percentage dropped from about 38% (Fat Bastard warning) to about 28%. At first I though it was dehydration but it has held today, though slowly creeping up.

Just think of how it would be if I didn't drink to excess.

60+ miles and I still put on 5lbs :(

That's just bloat, don't worry! Eating carbs makes your body hold onto water. For every gram of carb you eat, your body holds onto something like 3-4 g of water. It'll go quickly enough. It's just another reason (as well as muscle being more dense than fat) why weight doesn't matter too much.

my pedometer had me doing 60,000 steps one day, but equated that to only 30km.  My strides are more than 1meter so clearly that wasn't right.

After a while I realised it was picking up my hand claps and dancing as steps, but with only minimal distance

I didn't have a pedometer but I EASILY covered over 25 miles on Thursday and Friday combined:

- Thurs: disabled parking to spring ground, pitched, went to Mandela Bar to get drinks and then back, then took GFs brother on a full site tour, walked EVERYWHERE including to the top of the park and Strummerville, night areas, all stages etc with breaks in between. Then back from top of the park to the tent in Spring Ground.

- Friday: Spring Ground to WH for Cambodian Space who I found out when I got there weren't performing, walked back to the tent to collect the GF, walked to the Glade for Sentient, walked from Other field after 1 song from Catfish who were SHOCKINGLY SHIT to tent to change as I was wet, then up to Park for Wolf Alice, Pyramid, tent, WH for Caribou, Other for last half of Ronson, Park for SFA after detouring through Arcadia field, back to Other to collectGF from Rudimental then went for a wander trying to find some carnage, ended up at Beat Hotel until the music stopped and went on a stroll with this lost looking spaced out guy who could only remember that he was with his wife and kids parked near to 'some big green thing' so walked him back to the Tony Benn tower where he remembered his campsite, then back to tent!

Yet I weigh exactly the same as I did when I left. I think all the lovely cider cancelled out all my excercise!

I didn't have a pedometer but I EASILY covered over 25 miles on Thursday and Friday combined:

- Thurs: disabled parking to spring ground, pitched, went to Mandela Bar to get drinks and then back, then took GFs brother on a full site tour, walked EVERYWHERE including to the top of the park and Strummerville, night areas, all stages etc with breaks in between. Then back from top of the park to the tent in Spring Ground.

- Friday: Spring Ground to WH for Cambodian Space who I found out when I got there weren't performing, walked back to the tent to collect the GF, walked to the Glade for Sentient, walked from Other field after 1 song from Catfish who were SHOCKINGLY SHIT to tent to change as I was wet, then up to Park for Wolf Alice, Pyramid, tent, WH for Caribou, Other for last half of Ronson, Park for SFA after detouring through Arcadia field, back to Other to collectGF from Rudimental then went for a wander trying to find some carnage, ended up at Beat Hotel until the music stopped and went on a stroll with this lost looking spaced out guy who could only remember that he was with his wife and kids parked near to 'some big green thing' so walked him back to the Tony Benn tower where he remembered his campsite, then back to tent!

Yet I weigh exactly the same as I did when I left. I think all the lovely cider cancelled out all my excercise!

Mungo - just sent you a DM :-)

That's just bloat, don't worry! Eating carbs makes your body hold onto water. For every gram of carb you eat, your body holds onto something like 3-4 g of water. It'll go quickly enough. It's just another reason (as well as muscle being more dense than fat) why weight doesn't matter too much.

So I'm big boned and suffer from huge water retention? Nothing to with vast consumption pre and post Glastonbury, cool! This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

I've got the Garmin vivofit and I usually clock up 20-25 miles per week. We arrived Tuesday and left at 01:00 on the Monday (to beat the morning queues as I had work at 07:00 Tuesday). Downside is it clocks over at midnight so going out of the arena to the campervan is counted as the start of the next day.

I'm sure you should get bonus steps for the "hill of death" outside PG-C.

Wednesday - 7.5 Miles

Thursday - 14.5 Miles

Friday - 13 Miles

Saturday - 9 Miles

Sunday - 9,5 Miles

Monday - 11.5 Miles

Total = 65 miles walked at Glastonbury 2015.

Plus whatever calories I burnt jumping up & down on the spot - it didn't count.

I ate loads of crap, drank loads of beer and put just 2 pounds on over the week and I've already lost that, so a bit of a result.

• 3 months later...

I've enjoyed reading through this thread. I've only had my Fitbit for two months and I am a little bit obsessed.

At Boomtown we averaged 9 miles a day. I was a steward so some of that was pacing to ease stiff legs and back ache. One day we climbed the equivalent of 171 floors. It looks like one journey up the hill = approximately 23 floors

Does anyone have any data on their "floors climbed" at Glastonbury?