Go!

Size9

This thread makes me very sad. I think of all the clashes of the weekend, missing PSB for Kanye will be the most painful. I'd absolutely love to see them, and others he clashes with. But Kanye is the main event.

You're def doing the right thing - PSB play everywhere all the time!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I listened to this on my way to work this morning and think it really captures the current mood – I picture everyone here packing up and setting off on their journeys to this song. Climbing into their cars, setting off for train stations, loading luggage underneath coaches…..

It's grown quite quiet here in Mission Control.

A few moments ago, Flight Director Gene Kranz requested that everyone sit down, get prepared for events that are coming.

And he closed with the remark, "Good luck to all of you.”

Twelve minutes now until ignition for Powered Descent.

Everything's still looking very good at this point.

Okay all flight controllers “GO” / “NO-GO” for Powered Descent:

RETRO? – “GO!”

FIDO? – “GO!”

GUIDANCE? – “GO!”

CONTROL? – “GO!”

TELCOM? – “GO!”

GNC? – “GO!”

EECOM? – “GO!”

SURGEON? – “GO!”

I love this song so much it nearly brings me to tears!

So I went to see PSB on the Saturday night pretty much based on this post.  So, thanks for that!  Was pretty good!

I remember reading in an interview a few years ago how Paul McCartney thought of his songwriting in the 60s as 'mining gold' with Lennon. They had found a creative seam and kept getting really good results by exploring that space.

PSB are a bit like that in my mind. Once you've decided that your thing is making music around atmospheric speech snippets from the 20th Century, the space race seems the obvious place to go. And once you do an album about the space race, a song like 'Go' feels inevitable, there's such a rhythm to the pre-flight check reporting. Of course, if it was that obvious it would have been done before. Arguably it has, with the likes of Lemon Jelly, but I don't think they were anywhere near as successful in evoking a time and mood.

I wonder what they will do next? If we're keeping with the 20thC theme, the civil rights movement seems an obvious next step. It's incredible that they've managed to keep this shtick going for 2 1/2 albums without it getting stale. Surely they can't keep it up for 3, 4, 5+ albums?? Whatever comes next, I'm waiting with baited breath for their next work.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I genuinely worry about how much more they can do, but it's nice to be saying that with zero concern whatsoever about their musical ability to make the best of what they find. Will be Very excited.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I genuinely worry about how much more they can do, but it's nice to be saying that with zero concern whatsoever about their musical ability to make the best of what they find. Will be Very excited.

I wonder if they'll ever give up the 'concept band' thing and become a more conventional musical outfit. Even if they do, it'll still be worth listening to.

Thing is, I was saying the same about PSB in 2013 after seeing them in Bristol - that it would get stale and once you've seen em once, I imagine you've seen everything they have to offer. However, the live show at G was excellent. Was a tad worried they'd be underwhelming, but the extra member adds a lot to the sound, and if anything they were much better this year than when I saw them in 2013. Although having said that, the crowd at Glastonbury was a huge improvement on the crowd in Bristol. 

So I'll refrain from saying it'll become stale, until they do something new and it appears to be stale :P

Edited by GlastoSimon

The first album didn't really have that much of a coherent theme compared to The Race For Space and The War Rooms EP. So I wouldn't be surprised if the next album wasn't a concept album of such.

Having said that if they do go for a concept The Cold War could be an interesting one.

The first album didn't really have that much of a coherent theme compared to The Race For Space and The War Rooms EP. So I wouldn't be surprised if the next album wasn't a concept album of such.

Having said that if they do go for a concept The Cold War could be an interesting one.

Although I did love the intro track that had parts of all the other songs in it. Made the album feel that bit more coherent.

Although I did love the intro track that had parts of all the other songs in it. Made the album feel that bit more coherent.

I particularly love the way that intro ends with the beep beep beep beep BEEP!

I have occasional gig-dreams with them playing that and the audience roaring their heart out at the last beep, it's quite exhilarating lol I think they might have played it at Guilfest, but I was a bit in shock to register the setlist tbh

I seem to remember an interview at the beginning of the year that they were looking for something which would involve more female spoken vocals next as they had struggled to find any with the initial album and again with the space race.

There are certain bands, who, once they run out of creative steam, have a certain 'novelty' (not quite the right word) that allows them to keep going around the festival circuit forever (I'm sure we could all name some). I reckon PSB could easily slot into that bracket when they need to, if they chose to.

My one regret from Glasto is watching Leftfield over seeing PSB again.