Scottish Notes?

willsnewman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW if I was working in retail I'd probably not accept a Scottish note, it's nothing to do with having a chip on my shoulder but having lived in London for the last 12 years I wouldn't have any more of a f**king clue what a Scottish £10 note looked like than in would a 100 Ruble note. Surely it's not that much hassle to get English notes.

You'd be surprised, it's only HSBC and Barclays Bank machines up here that give them out, and a lot of branches of banks like RBS, BoS and Clydesdale, require ordering sometimes as they mainly only stick their own notes

Think I'm going to swap them if I go past a bank on my way! I do apologise for kicking this thread off! Paid for a pint in Sheffield this evening with a new fiver and there was much excitement over it.

When I lived in Newcastle they were common and I thought nothing of them but I've lived down south for over ten years hence I couldn't tell you what one looked like. Just remember that glastonbury is closer to Cherbourg than it is to Dumfries, so don't be supposed if it sometimes is a problem.

I am regretting wadeing in here as this topic approaches 50 posts.

As a Scotsman who has lived in England for the last ten years, cross the border, go to a cash machine and collect some money that people recognise and are comfortable with.

If you have some Scottish notes, by and large I have found that most places will accept them, they may have a second look at them, and who can blame them when the Clydesdale bank notes are designed to look like toy town money.

On the rare occasion that someone raises a concern, do not become all Braveheart/Alex Salmond about it, but have a supply of Bank of England notes, it is called the Bank of England but is the Central Bank and Lender of Last Resort for the whole of the UK.

Scottish (and Northern Irish) notes are not legal tender in England and Wales, they are promissory notes. The Bank Notes (Scotland) Act 1845 allows for their use, but they must be backed at the Scottish Banks by the equivalent value of BofE notes in excess of the amount printed in 1845. In effect they are regulated by the Bank of England. This is why they will always be accepted at Banks, Building societies and the Post Office in the UK.

The further South you travel the more of that £5 will be required to buy a pint, if you happen to get to London, they might accept it but give you feck all as change.

Unless you go to some of the pus we don't tell the tourists about ;)

I used to do bar work, once when I was 18 I was found to have £80 in fake notes in my till at the end of the night. I didn't get paid for the evening's work, I was bankrupt and on my arse, the loss of one night's wages hurt me, along with the managers having less faith in me when drawing up rotas (0 hour contract). I didn't accept anything I wasn't 100% sure of after that, having never interacted with Scottish money, I didn't take it. There was an English cash machine on site, jocks moaned about the £1.75 charge, but unless a manager was around to OK it and take on the responsibility themselves, I didn't touch Scottish notes. I didn't take any pleasure in refusing people's money, or the abuse I took from those who weren't happy, but I had to be sure. Moral of the story is that some people aren't going to take the chance when it's their neck on the line.

I used to do bar work, once when I was 18 I was found to have £80 in fake notes in my till at the end of the night. I didn't get paid for the evening's work, I was bankrupt and on my arse, the loss of one night's wages hurt me, along with the managers having less faith in me when drawing up rotas (0 hour contract). I didn't accept anything I wasn't 100% sure of after that, having never interacted with Scottish money, I didn't take it. There was an English cash machine on site, jocks moaned about the £1.75 charge, but unless a manager was around to OK it and take on the responsibility themselves, I didn't touch Scottish notes. I didn't take any pleasure in refusing people's money, or the abuse I took from those who weren't happy, but I had to be sure. Moral of the story is that some people aren't going to take the chance when it's their neck on the line.

Agreed 100% when I did bar work In London I wouldn't even accept a BoE £50 note without oking it with the bar manager, just not worth the risk. Think sometimes people need to remember that for the staff it's their arse on the line so don't argue the toss. I'm the same with ID these days, in my 30s but still gat asked sometimes, if people don't want to serve me I just smile and say no worries I'll go somewhere else (which kind of confuses alot of people who are clearly expecting me to react more aggressively).

im sure if ya went somewhere and spent say 100 pounds and used scottish notes and they then tried to refuse and you said well its that or nothing, then they would take them, they are aonly going to go to a bank and the bank will accept them. police arent gunna come for that kind of rubbish.

I can't begin to describe the feeling I have when I realise I've been given a Scottish banknote in my change. I go through a whole gambit of emotions but indignancy and mild rage (is there such a thing?) are a constant. The last time it happened to me was not so long ago - I was behind a lady with a small baby who used a Scottish note to pay at the till in my local Co-op. Once she had walked away with her stuff I then paid for my stuff. The assistant then picked up the corner of this Scottish 5 pound note from his till using the minimum of finger tip area to hold on to the note and placed it in my hand as part of my change. I don't mean to offend any Scottish people here but I did immediatley think ' You've just dropped a turd in my hand you c**t of a shop assistant. And you know it because the way you were handling the note'. I was so flummoxed and taken aback that I just accepted it and walked out of the shop with it. I then knew that I had to get rid of it at the earliest opportunity. I did so the next day at another Co-op.

I've had them refused or questioned enough times to know it's just not worth the hassle.

If all you have in your pocket is a Scottish tenner and the place you're trying to spend it won't accept it you're fucked.

If you never accept a Scottish tenner you''ll never find yourself in that situation.

So i make life easy for myself and never accept a Scottish tenner.

But if all your customer has is a Scottish tenner and you don't accept it, you don't make the sale at all. At which point you have neither a Scottish tenner or a BoE tenner in your wallet. You just have an empty wallet and you're just as fucked if you're trying to buy something.

It's technically worth less for sure, but I'd accept it for the same reason that if someone wanted to buy something from me for ten quid and they emptied their wallet and only had £9.97, I'd let the three pence go.

I'd have no idea what a real / fake Scottish note looked like so therefore wouldn't accept them if I was a vendor in fast moving murky environment like a food stall / bar at a festival. I don't want them as change either because I don't want the hassle of using it.

I understand the frustration for Scots. Genuinely interested to know - what proportion of notes in Scotland are Scottish notes?