Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed no one went for Charlie Austin. English, around 15 million, isn't injured as he is playing almost every game for QPR...

He'd be a good back up striker for Utd or Arsenal i'd have thought.

Apparently, Utd bid 50 million for Reus, but said no at 60!

Doesn't Austin have injury concerns though. I think i said it in here before but doesn't his contract run out at the end of the season anyway? No point paying 15m if you can get him for free in 10 months.

I don't disagree with the 'marquee players' bit, but as Wenger rightly says that only makes sense if they're available. There's no point buying similar to what you have already.

I wouldn't argue with that, its difficult to know who is available. Barcelona have a transfer ban, even Real Madrid haven't been able to find a galactico this season. De Bruyne is possibly the closest a premiership team has got to a marquee signing and he is hardly what you would call a superstar in terms of profile. Its easy to mention the likes of Benzema and Cavanni, but nobody really knows if they are both available and willing to go to Arsenal.

Yeah but the likes of Khedira and Vidal were available this summer and if you aint spending on anything else you would think that give you more power to make such player yours if you want em

Im thinking Arsenal don't want Khedira as they have been linked with him for ages, but always seemed reluctant to make that final bid. I think signing Vidal would be a case of signing someone for signing sake.

I'm amazed no one went for Charlie Austin. English, around 15 million, isn't injured as he is playing almost every game for QPR...

I think rightly or wrongly people perceive him as a one season wonder Marcus Stewart type forward. I suspect come January some bottom half teams will be more willing to take the gamble.

Arsenal lack leadership far more than they lack quality.

Arsenal lack leadership far more than they lack quality.

I wouldn't argue, but Im struggling to think of players who would have offered those attributes. A lot of the higher profile players they have been linked with aren't players I would consider natural leaders.

I wouldn't argue, but Im struggling to think of players who would have offered those attributes. A lot of the higher profile players they have been linked with aren't players I would consider natural leaders.

I think that might be fair...however, they've needed a leader(s?) for a lot longer than one transfer window.

Doesn't Austin have injury concerns though. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34011370

http://www.football365.com/newcastle-united/9976364/Newcastle-to-retain-interest-in-Charlie-Austin

Seems like despite his scoring record last season there are some concerns over a failed medical at Hull in 2013 and a shoulder injury at the start of 2014. Can't remember if he had any time out last season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34011370

http://www.football365.com/newcastle-united/9976364/Newcastle-to-retain-interest-in-Charlie-Austin

Seems like despite his scoring record last season there are some concerns over a failed medical at Hull in 2013 and a shoulder injury at the start of 2014. Can't remember if he had any time out last season.

yeah, the's rumours that his knees are fucked and that his playing days could be over at any moment.

Plus, he's not very good. :P

B'mouth just picked up a better Prem striker for £4M (fuck knows what Palace were doing buying a worse one for much more).

Edited by eFestivals

Yep. A better record than Connor Wickham (a player that I reckon is never going to live up to the hype around him as a kid).

One is at the beginning of his career and spent a large proportion of his appearances playing not as a striker and not in a run of games but off the bench and in and out.

The other is a decade older and at the end of his career.

Yep. A better record than Connor Wickham (a player that I reckon is never going to live up to the hype around him as a kid).

I like Murray, and I do agree with you're Wickham opinion, but you cant say that Murray is a 'better premier league striker' than Austin. Especially after using the phrase 'a better record' to try to prove Murray is better than Wickham...

From football 365. Very funny!

Transfers: On The Pull

Arsenal - danced with a pretty lady early on but then stood in the corner most of the night too scared to talk to anyone else. Spends the cab journey home telling you the place was full of mingers anyway. 

Man City - unashamedly plying any potentials with the finest plonk whilst telling them all how much they make a year and how sw*nky his house is. Gets results, everyone thinks he's a sleaze, couldn't care less. 

Man United - also went full turbo with his wallet and seemed to be having the best night out of all of them. Got a little carried away (probably drank too much) and ended up getting laughed off the dance floor by all the pretty girls, couldn't even buy them a drink. Totally panicked and promised to pay a girls entire student loan if she went home with him. 

Chelsea - completely c*ckblocked his mate and landed a Spanish beauty in the process. Not content, went about demanding this girl dance with him and kept getting knocked back. Got a bit grabby and her dad had to step in. Last seen stumbling out the club with two random girls and sick on his shirt. 

Spurs - had a bit of success but wasn't really feeling it to be honest. Seems to have just about gotten over his last relationship and not really ready to give his heart away just yet. Managed to snag a cute Asian girl's number, feeling optimistic. 

Liverpool - still hasn't gotten over his ex - in fairness she was a stunner - and still very much on the rebound. Will take a swipe at anything in high heels, seemingly at random. Everyone's a bit worried about him and scared he'll cry if they bring it up. 

Everton - not great in a club setting, more of a 'house parties' man. Makes a bit of effort but might as well have stayed at home. Think he's got a girlfriend anyway. 

West Ham - simply could not miss. Even the cheesiest chat up lines were hitting the mark, no one quite sure how he managed it. Great timing too as he's moving house soon and needs a bit of arm candy to keep his parents from asking awkward questions.

Aston Villa - turns up wearing Yves Saint Lauren eau de toilette, a Pierre Cardin shirt, Louboutin loafers and clasping a French phrase book he ordered from the back of Zoo. Looks like a bit of an idiot but everyone begrudgingly admits he chereched les femmes good and proper. 

Swansea - tight git sat there drinking soda and lime all night and somehow copped off with an 8/10 with minimal fuss. 

Stoke - tired of having the p*ss taken for always going for burly girls so makes a point of focusing solely on petite Europeans. Punched well above his weight but the rest of the lads noticed they clearly had issues, might live to regret this.

Norwich - hasn't realised his mates worked our he isn't in to girls years ago, chatted to a couple to save face, no one buying.

Simon (getting a bit abstract now) CFC

I said a better record because he has a better record.

I think theres a difference between having a better record and being the better player. If your looking at like for like comparison Murray was playing at league 2 level when he was the same age as Wickham. I think both top half championship level, but if Im taking a punt Wickham has the potential to be more and greater potential sell on value.

I said a better record because he has a better record.

Than Wickham yes - and you are using that as your sole argument for why Murray is better than Wickham (which is fair enough, wrong but that's okay). However you originally stated that Murray was also a better prem striker than Austin - whom he does not have a better record than.

You cant have it both ways

I think theres a difference between having a better record and being the better player. If your looking at like for like comparison Murray was playing at league 2 level when he was the same age as Wickham. I think both top half championship level, but if Im taking a punt Wickham has the potential to be more and greater potential sell on value.

the difference is that Wickham hasn't stepped up to the next level. Murray has to an extent.

I'd put Murray more in the Richie Lambert category (tho of course not to the same level) while Wickham is more of a Championship player who's stepped up a little too far.

the difference is that Wickham hasn't stepped up to the next level. Murray has to an extent.

I'd put Murray more in the Richie Lambert category (tho of course not to the same level) while Wickham is more of a Championship player who's stepped up a little too far.

Both have had one decent season in the premiership. Not that I would rank either as stepping up based on one season, as it could be a Ricketts/Marcus Stewart one off. As I have said when Murray was Wickhams age he was playing in league 2.

One game away. Wales gets excited for the first time in 60 years. :P

Unfortunately we have been excited many times in the last 60 years, only to find a way to screw it up. See Joe Jordans dodgy penalty, Paul Bodins missed one and a tight play off against Russia. Therefore untill the day I see our name in a draw, I wont be convinced we have qualified!

This run has come from nowhere, we have hardly conceded a goal throughout the whole qualification. We have low level premiership and championship players looking great. Undoubtedly we have had some fortune and a world class player in bale who really puts Giggs time for the national team to shame.

This run has come from nowhere, we have hardly conceded a goal throughout the whole qualification. We have low level premiership and championship players looking great. Undoubtedly we have had some fortune and a world class player in bale who really puts Giggs time for the national team to shame.

Bale looks far more at home and a better player in a weaker team where he knows if they want to win the game he will have to do something. Has been involved in 8 of Wales' 9 qualifier goals (scoring 6).  

Giggs always struck me as a player that was better when working in conjunction with the good players around him and therefore struggled to lead a team like Bale is currently.

Bale looks far more at home and a better player in a weaker team where he knows if they want to win the game he will have to do something. Has been involved in 8 of Wales' 9 qualifier goals (scoring 6).  

Giggs always struck me as a player that was better when working in conjunction with the good players around him and therefore struggled to lead a team like Bale is currently.

I wouldnt argue that Bale has really stood up to the plate when the team required their superstar to perform. He has shown leadership skills that I didnt believe he was capable of.

I dont think its purely down to teammates, but also the respective players attitudes. Bale seems to have a passion playing for Wales, Giggs gave Wales fans the feeling he thought he was above Wales, in fact he missed loads of games when he couldnt be bothered.