Can't get Glasto off work!

gmb1992

I'm trying to fight it but feel like it's a losing battle. I applied for 3 jobs last night but don't know if it's a little over the top of me??

if you get an interview and the prospective employer asks "do you have any questions?" make sure you say can i have The 24 th to the 30th of June 2015 and the same week off for as long as i might be working for you and wait for their reaction.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do indeed need unions. MEB will probably go apoplectic with rage on hearing this but Unison got my wife £70K against her employer on a case she brought against them.

Not sure why you think I would go "apoplectic with rage". If the money was paid by an Employment Tribunal then there must have been evidence that her employer had done something wrong and this will be what was deemed as appropriate compensation. The statutory cap for unfair dismissal in front of an ET is ~£70k so it's not an uncommon figure. It's the discrimination cases that really bring in the big money. These are quite often 6 figure payouts are 7 figure payouts aren't that rare either.

Employers in general are a lot better than they were 10-15 years ago (evidenced in a steady reduction in the number of ET claims year on year) however there are still some poor employers and for that reason unions play a vital role in these organisations. The problem is that some unions (usually the ones that cover well regulated industries) are more bothered with wielding power than best serving their individual members.

Employers in general are a lot better than they were 10-15 years ago (evidenced in a steady reduction in the number of ET claims year on year) however there are still some poor employers and for that reason unions play a vital role in these organisations. The problem is that some unions (usually the ones that cover well regulated industries) are more bothered with wielding power than best serving their individual members.

My last employer wouldn't recognize union representations. You could of course have a union rep attend if there was something like a disciplinary hearing. Other than that the unions weren't allowed to take part in discussions like pay increases, re-structures etc. I fought my own battles with them anyway. At one point I found out that they were paying other less technical staff thousands of pounds more than I was getting. I soon got that changed with a hefty back payment to boot. I guess I just had a shoddy employer. I will say that I worked for them loyally though. I uncovered fraud and got rid of dubious contractors that they employed, replacing them with higher quality contractors that weren't allowed to take the piss while on my watch. I got fuck all thanks for it mind.

if you get an interview and the prospective employer asks "do you have any questions?" make sure you say can i have The 24 th to the 30th of June 2015 and the same week off for as long as i might be working for you and wait for their reaction.

I will make sure it's written in the terms and conditions of my next contract :)

Edited by gracemary1992

At one point I found out that they were paying other less technical staff thousands of pounds more than I was getting. I soon got that changed with a hefty back payment to boot. I guess I just had a shoddy employer. I will say that I worked for them loyally though. I uncovered fraud and got rid of dubious contractors that they employed, replacing them with higher quality contractors that weren't allowed to take the piss while on my watch. I got fuck all thanks for it mind.

In their mind that would have been a massive win. Our lot had all the foremen convinced they were on luxury wages for the industry barely breaching 20k when they should have been at least halfway to 30. Bizarrely having exposed this few of them have moved... they shoulda just given me the wage they offered rather than dicking me around and making me fight tooth and claw for it

I doubt they'd care what the contractors did as long as complaints didn't increase. I'd have noticed. I try and beat it into my juniors/trainees you're not doing this for the end of today but so they're still impressed weeks/years later after having to live with it - that's customer appreciation/retention gold and business for life

• 3 months later...

We are an even smaller team (3-4 at the moment), and it's the same, they all know that there is no point in asking for an extended weekend at the end of June. I've been told by my boss that earmarking this as a long weekend for me for the foreseable future was the best solution fo everyone, as none of them would want to be in the same room with me anyway if I wasn't going, they think I'd be way too cantankerous. They know me well.

What if he was a hindu?

“Only two kinds of people can attain self-knowledge: those who are not encumbered at all with learning, that is to say, whose minds are not over-crowded with thoughts borrowed from others; and those who, after studying all the scriptures and sciences, have come to realise that they know nothing.” ― Ramakrishna

Only two kinds of people can attain self-knowledge: those who are not encumbered at all with learning, that is to say, whose minds are not over-crowded with thoughts borrowed from others; and those who, after studying all the scriptures and sciences, have come to realise that they know nothing. ― Ramakrishna

But aren't all our thoughts over crowded with thoughts borrowed from Neil & who's playing?

Just to clarify matters;

(1) I only ever went to the doctors claiming work related stress when I actually had work related stress. The last time this happened was when I took an overdose trying to end my life.

Yog basically blew you all out of the water with his first sentence. He wins the internet and you are dicks for trying to justify otherwise....

But aren't all our thoughts over crowded with thoughts borrowed from Neil & who's playing?

Not really. For example, it has never interested me in the slightest as to who is playing at a Glastonbury festival that I was going to. At least not to my immediate recollection right now anyway. That's not to say that my head isn't crowded with thoughts though. I try to keep them to a minimum, but find it very difficult.

Yog basically blew you all out of the water with his first sentence. He wins the internet and you are dicks for trying to justify otherwise....

Thank you for your kind words. That's the second time someone off here has said that I've won the internet. Therefore it must be true - it's mine, all mine ( laughs in an insanic fashion). In reality though, I'm not taking ownership of the internet. Bollocks to that. I'd be up all night worrying about it. Oh, hold on a minute ....

I casually dropped it into conversation with my manager yesterday, mentioned I may need time off around half year end (work in a small finance team) it has transpired that if I want it off I will have to be back in work on the Tuesday after the festival - will have to behave myself next year methinks.

• 4 weeks later...