ale at the bars

eFestivals

Is a shame there isn't the ability/business case for a good real ale bar at the festival as there are some cracking real ales produced in the area and the south west in general.

The one very small bonus of the festival ending is a day in a local town after visiting a few real ale pubs and sampling the brews. Although in some respects its good there isn't a real ale bar at the festival or I'd miss even more music

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard what beers will be at the festival this year, I assume it will be Thatchers Gold cider as the contract started last year.

The main Beer contracts run out at the end of 2016 so everything that was there last year will be there this year.GFL is in discussions over the main Beer contract that runs up to 2022 so its ' all on the table ' just now.

The main Beer contracts run out at the end of 2016 so everything that was there last year will be there this year.GFL is in discussions over the main Beer contract that runs up to 2022 so its ' all on the table ' just now.

Cheers for the info Glasto-Worker I remember a similar question being asked last year, couldn't remember when the contracts were up.

there is a real ale bar! next to acoustic

Was a bit disappointed with it on previous visits in so much as the variety wasn't very good, beer wasn't well kept and it didn't feature many local independent brewers.

Guess I'm meaning the more bespoke real ale tent you get at food and drink festivals which is being a bit greedy on my part. The festival is about more than booze I hear there is the odd music act on too

Cheers for the info Glasto-Worker I remember a similar question being asked last year, couldn't remember when the contracts were up.

it used to be longer - it used to be seven years but then all of a sudden it was for a shorter period - for some reason the Cider contract is shorter - must make sense to someone.

The condition of the beer at the big tent near Acoustic was terrible last year - shouldn't even have been served. Real shame as Glasto has so mcuh going for it and a mini beer festival of sorts would be yet another feather in its cap. I always bring 3 kegs (for Tues night and Wednesday and Thursday) and then 4 cans of craft beer for each day (kept in friend's campervan fridge) to begin the other 3 days - then usuaully hit cider. Will try the ale again and hope for better condition this year!

The condition of the beer at the big tent near Acoustic was terrible last year - shouldn't even have been served. Real shame as Glasto has so mcuh going for it and a mini beer festival of sorts would be yet another feather in its cap. I always bring 3 kegs (for Tues night and Wednesday and Thursday) and then 4 cans of craft beer for each day (kept in friend's campervan fridge) to begin the other 3 days - then usuaully hit cider. Will try the ale again and hope for better condition this year!

Personal opinion.

Yuk Ale in fridge

The real ale bar next to Acoustic I think does a pretty decent job of providing real ale, and across the site rebadged Otter ales are generally okay. Regarding local ale at Glastonbury, I've seen a decent range from some of the South West brewers (admittedly the larger ones): Butcombe, Glastonbury, St Austell, Otter, Hopback, Ringwood (despite being owned by Marston's).

Cider wise, really good move to Thatchers, as you can now get Traditional and Cheddar Valley at their cider bar.

I guess part of the difficulty is that the local, smaller producers are not necessarily geared up to meet the demand that Glastonbury would require and it's only once a year, so the investment to expand would not be worth it. Having said that if the bar near acoustic and maybe an independant cider bar can have the freedom to select small quantities of local ale/cider, then that would be good. But I guess it's all down to licensing etc.

Bottom line for me is I think it's a pretty decent lineup of ale/cider across the site.

A few years ago they had Bath Ales Gem at most of the bars, a very nice pint and fairly local. I am not sure why it was only for the one year though.

Last year they did have it at the bar at Worthy View (1st time there and won't be back) so it hasn't been totally forgotten by the festival.