BBC Coverage

Guest Trebor

On a related note, the Director of BBC Music published a blog today on the BBC's plans for Glastonbury coverage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Preparing-for-Glastonbury-2014

Director, BBC Music Bob Shennan, outlines the BBC’s plans to provide coverage of Glastonbury 2014.

It started as the Pilton Pop, Blues & Folk Festival, officially it’s now the Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts, to many it’s simply The Best Festival in the World.

As I write, 900 acres of farmland in the Vale of Avalon is being transformed into a magical playground, with over 1,200 acts set to perform across 100 stages. It’s an impossibly diverse mix of music, comedy, theatre, circus and art. On the iconic Pyramid Stage alone you’ll be able to see everything from Dolly Parton and Kasabian to Robert Plant and the English National Ballet.

Across the BBC, our key aim for 2014 is to bring you more of the music you love – offering those of you who can’t be there the next best thing: a chance to tailor-make your own Glastonbury experience.

Last year saw a step-change in our approach to covering the festival, with live and on-demand streaming from 6 different stages, involving over 120 artists across the three days. 19 million of you – around a third of all adults in the UK – watched some of the TV coverage; with record numbers accessing our online and interactive services. We hope to repeat that success this year, with a similar offering that makes it simple for you to enjoy the event whenever you want, wherever you are.

Metallica, who’ll be at the festival for the first time to headline on Saturday night, are renowned for their incredibly powerful, pyrotechnical performances, the likes of which Glastonbury has probably never seen before, and I hope we’ll be able to fully do that justice.

If metal isn’t your cup of tea however, there will be plenty of alternatives just a few clicks away on your tablets or interactive TVs – and I would encourage everyone to check out the full range of coverage BBC Music will be bringing you across our TV, radio and interactive options.

We’ll be broadcasting over 50 hours of radio across Radio 1, 1Xtra, Radio 2 and 6 Music; with around 30 hours of TV coverage on BBC Two, Three and Four. I’m also delighted to say The One Show will be returning to Glastonbury, with a special hour long show on Friday 27th June on BBC One giving viewers an insight into the festival’s history and heritage, as well as roaming the site to capture some of its more extraordinary happenings.

Broadcasting this amount of live programming from a field in Somerset is obviously demanding, so I’m grateful to the team of cameramen, vision mixers, directors, vision control engineers, producers and website techs - around 300 BBC staff and freelancers in total – who will be working on site across the weekend to deliver this coverage. We’re sending the same number of people as last year and, whilst some will inevitably still argue this is too many, I can assure you that every member of staff onsite has a clear and accountable role, working long hours to offer unparalleled coverage for our audiences. We have also worked hard over recent years to identify areas where resources can be shared or tasks more easily undertaken off-site.

To put that number in perspective, I was reading on Glastonbury’s website about the plans this year for Shangri-la - a unique area of the festival which really comes alive after dark. Ten months in the planning and taking a month to build, they’re promising an “immersive installation, a vast interactive fictional world brought to life by a creative team of over 1,500 crew performers and artists”.

It’s this kind of ambition that ensures Glastonbury continues to be way more than just a music festival. It is a wonderfully unique British experience, which I hope we can bring you a small flavour of, at the end of the month.

Bob Shennan is Director, BBC Music.

Yep, that's it, have never watched it live as I've always been there :)

The BBC coverage is pretty good though...I used to be bitter about it, going along with the sentiment that radio1/bbc over-exposed glastonbury, caused the overcrowding and killed the pre-fence version of the festival.

I've since mellowed.

Edited by autoinflate

I just find the bbc look for the safe acts.. Every year Lilly Allen has played she gets loads of coverage for example. Whilst they completely ignore most acts on west holts, have nothing from acoustic, and overlook a lot of fresh bands. I find the Same acts will still have good coverage at t in the park.

I used to despair when it seemed they had dizzie rascal and Florence and the machine on EVERY festival coverage; wasn't my idea of of a festival, but needless to say they try and fit the popular 18-30 demographic bands in, the legends, the headliners and hours of forgettable egotistical blurb between bands (screechy roaming presenters with big crowds following them around the park or greenfields). Some programmes seem to have more chat than music.

Mark Radcliffe and the late great john peel were amongst the few presenters I could warm too, they actually got glastonbury.

Edited by drewsstrat

I just find the bbc look for the safe acts.. Every year Lilly Allen has played she gets loads of coverage for example. Whilst they completely ignore most acts on west holts, have nothing from acoustic, and overlook a lot of fresh bands. I find the Same acts will still have good coverage at t in the park.

I used to despair when it seemed they had dizzie rascal and Florence and the machine on EVERY festival coverage; wasn't my idea of of a festival, but needless to say they try and fit the popular 18-30 demographic bands in, the legends, the headliners and hours of forgettable egotistical blurb between bands (screechy roaming presenters with big crowds following them around the park or greenfields). Some programmes seem to have more chat than music.

Mark Radcliffe and the late great john peel were amongst the few presenters I could warm too, they actually got glastonbury.

Edited by Yesiamaduck

The park was only televised from last year, and yes there may of been lots on red button or whatever, but I didn't get to see much as I was at glasto. I sky plus all the schedules programmes, and yes there's a few artists from the smaller stages , but it's mostly mainstream and mostly safe for my pallet. It's all subjective of course, and to be fair they do more completish sets that they used to, and it's 100 times better than sky's festival coverage