Shangri-la – before Heaven and Hell

Guest basingstokejames

They have stated that this year they are going back to focusing more on the alleyways and micro venues. They also mentioned there would be no more queuing for venues like there was last year. Hopefully this year will be a return to form.

There were still some alleyways, and to be honest, the hell stage was awesome so i hope that stays. The saturday night with Hypnotic Brass Ensamble and Sam and the Womp was one of the highlights of my festival last year.

our drugs seemed to drop during that Sam and the womp song there main one that was fun.

However last year being my first I had got really excited with the experiences you guys had had during previous shangra las alot of the alley ways didn't live up to the hype and I found the common and block 9 my fave.

But jeez compared to after hours stuff you find at download and leeds shangra was Fucking awesome

Edited by monkey1989

I Iked the hell stage and i'm hoping for some decent acts on there at the same time as the headliners.

I am also glad to hear about the more micro venues and less queueing - if they can get the balance right it can be more exciting again. Hoping the park with arcadia gives a real alternative to spread the crowds a little too.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost Vagueness was the only part of Glastonbury I didn't like. There seemed to be a mean spirit to the place. Shangri La, for all its faults and foibles, is so much better. It's just a shame that last year they just got it wrong, though.

I was one of the people that has been called a "tourist", in that I walked in, walked through, and then out, but it wasn't for want of getting involved. I just found the sight of young folk patiently standing in endless queues a tad depressing.

Never queue at a festival is a rule that has served me well. I queue for buses and cashpoints in the real world, at a festival I'd rather just move on.

I'd be interested to hear, though - what was in Heaven if you had the patience to find out, and did folk hang around longer than they should have, simply because it took so damn long to get in?

I was a little disappointed with Heaven...though was quite nice been able to wander round without boots on. I never stayed too long for the simple fact that once I have had a beer need the loo loads and the que was stupid - they attempted to clean after each use just made the whole things take ages so would always have to leave to find a long drop!

Edited by sparkythetortoise