Game of Thrones discussion thread

bunique

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another cracker of an episode.

I liked how the story of A Dance With Dragons described the two Targaryens fighting, which mirrors Stannis and Renly back in S2 - everyone picking sides and no one really winning. Not sure if that hardened Stannis' resolve when he sent Shireen to the flames. Also showed his wife to have a lot more heart than she's shown before.

Also the Dorne bit was really well done too - there more to Doran than meets the eye I think. The way he threatened Ellaria shows he's not the meek leader that he's been made out to be.

And Neil, looks like your Cuz is out of it now! Felt like an end of a season scene with Dany flying off. With the dragon gone the harpies should have finished off the ones left in the arena, but foolishly ran!

Arya story is really good too - looks like a good climax for next week.

Annoyingly I'm on holiday from Sat, so have to wait a week to see the finale! Doh!

I cant believe that Stannis did that, the screams were horrible. It seems like Stannis is on his last legs and will now stop at nothing.I remember a few seasons back, Melisandre used kings blood to curse Renly, Robb & Jeoffrey, although it only seemed like she had a real hand in Renly's death and the other 2 died co-incidentally at the hand of other characters. I've only just realised that if Melisandre truely cursed Robb Stark and caused his death, then it is her fault that the Bolton's are in power and so she is sort of responsible for Stannis' current downfall. It will be interesting to see if kings blood is truly as powerful as she makes out, he'd better win next week so the sacrifice wasn't in vein.

She actually curse Robb, Joff and Balon Greyjoy (Theon's dad) who hasn't been in it since S3. But you've also assumed she's doing things to benefit Stannis....seems like she might have other motives beyond that.

Imagine being a minion in Stannis' army.

You have been freezing your ass of for ages with the recent indecision and cold weather. Your food has just disappeared due to a fire ambush and now you are left eating scraps of charred horse meat and slop, with no idea what the hell is going to happen. You must be thinking "this is a bad situation, progressively getting worse and it aint looking like its about to turn any time soon".

Then, as after dinner entertainment, your hero and leader, who is responsible for your current predicament burns alive his sweet little daughter, making you watch with your fellow comrades and even making some of you partake in the "ceremony" with the prick barely blinking in doing so, all while ye listen to the pleading screams of the fearful and then burning child.................

Thats gotta motivate y'all for the fight to come, eh? Your belief in the Lord of Light (I assume all that follow Stannis are brainwashed to believe in that) must feel like a warm cosy duvet right now................ Fuck that shit...............

I cant believe dany has ditched her buddies, there is no reason for her to do it so I wonder if it was just badly filmed. The dragon was complete shit too really, almost getting killed by the pathetic harpies. I cant see the white walkers having much trouble taking them out if that rabble almost killed the supposed biggest and baddest of the three...

the scene would have been better if it had finished with dany swooping down with the dragon roasting everyone.

A good episode, but nowhere near as good as the previous one.

I wonder if there will be as much of an outcry about the child murder as their was sansa's rape? Surely last nights events were infinitely worse.

Not sure the turning meryn into a pedo was necessary really. We already hate him and want arya to kill him, so what was the point in that scene?

Plus ramsay raiding their camp and killing all the horses and destroying all the food? Bit shit really. He's been turned in to superman.

Edited by russycarps

I cant believe dany has ditched her buddies, there is no reason for her to do it so I wonder if it was just badly filmed. The dragon was complete shit too really, almost getting killed by the pathetic harpies. I cant see the white walkers having much trouble taking them out if that rabble almost killed the supposed biggest and baddest of the three...

I thought this too but then thought that in dragon terms they are probably still pretty immature? Still potential for them to get bigger and better and more bad ass?

Another issue I had with that scene in the end was that it looked pretty fake at times. Some shots looked kinda crappy compared to some of the effects we have enjoyed over the seasons.

But yeah, so far Danys army and Dragon(s) have been kinda crap when the shit has hit the fan...............they will wanna step up a bit more if they are to eventually lead the charge on the threat from the WWs

I actually thought the CGI as she put she hand on the dragons back to climb up was pretty impressive! We know he's the most volatile of the 3, could he really be expected to sit there while the rest of the motley crew hop on? Dany can barely control him herself

Also I thought dragon skin was suppose to be very very tough and acted like armour and thus not susceptible to a few spear chuckers...............?

Or is that something I have picked up from Tolkien and is not applicable in this world?

Yeh I think we are all influenced by what we have learnt from tolkein!

The whole scene was quite crap though. Dany and her 10 guards were completely surrounded and outnumbered 10-1, yet the harpies ran in 1 by 1? And why didnt the spear throwers just throw one in her face? They were only about 5 meters away! The emotional reunion with the dragon as she gazed into his eyes in the middle of the battle was also corny as hell. The whole scene was quite poor I thought, especially in comparison to last week.

I feel like this sequence was done by the same people who did the battle with sand snakes.

Yeah, in an episode like that of last nights the fight at the end should be the wow point and dominate the minds of the viewer creating the talk that follows, but for me its all about that sacrifice scene. That was the highlight of the episode by a country mile. It was so so powerful

I dont think GOT has nearly got to me emotionally as that scene did. It was brilliantly executed and stirred up raw emotion in the viewer, which is always a win when it comes to cinematic art, irrespective of what that emotion is............

The end sequence just had too many things about it that I was questioning as I watched it and so in some respects (although I did enjoy it to a degree) it can be looked on as a fail (execution wise)

We all knew what Stannis was thinking from the start of the episode, but I wasn't sure until the very last moment whether he would go through with it or not. It created some fantastic tension throughout the episode.

Also, it's good to see that the game of Slaps is known in Westeros, and not just in UK school playgrounds!

t

2 things

1. Dragons will only fly with certain people on their back so I guess they could not have

2. she worked out Fly ok, but I reckon she is up in the sky going "Turn Around", "return", "Land" "down boy" and all the dragon hears is "Blah", "Blah","Blah" etc so no idea what to do

I have given up on wondering about the unsullied, I assume they were outnumbers while foer some reason she keeps the rest of the vast army elsewhere.

Same as the stannis daughter scene. He has a larger army but only chooses about 100 to come and see his daughter burn.

Stannis daughter scene was just horrific, will stay with me for a while.

The fact that they insist on sticking with those bloody great spears implies that the Unsullied were never meant for this type of combat, they were trained to be devastating on a battlefield, not to pacify urban areas.

That's a good point, but then again why waste them. It's not like they can get anymore :P

Also Stannis can't win now and I hope it all blows up in his face but that being said I don't think Dany or the Lannisters will also win :ninja:

Edited by justanothername

BTW why was Ellaria not in prison but her sand snakes were? What was the point in her arrest the other week?

I'm not entirely sure what the point of any of those scenes are!

Her going crazy for revenge for oberyns death seems a bit weird to me anyway. He chose to fight the mountain and he died through his own stupidity, not due to any dirty tricks or anything. Plus as far as she is aware the mountain is dead now anyway.

I get that they blame the lannisters for the death of oberyns sister etc, but her motivation for revenge seems to be the death of oberyn, not his sister.

Also Jon Snow and the Wildlings walking up to the North gate of Castle Black made no sense in my mind when watching it. They went to and left Hardhome in boats! So it would make sense for them to have left and returned to the wall via the east of the wall. To return via the north side of the wall is geographically and logically warped

Also Jon Snow and the Wildlings walking up to the North gate of Castle Black made no sense in my mind when watching it. They went to and left Hardhome in boats! So it would make sense for them to have left and returned to the wall via the east of the wall. To return via the north side of the wall is geographically and logically warped

I guess that's where Stannis and co parked their boats - as they arrived on the north side last series too.

I guess that's where Stannis and co parked their boats - as they arrived on the north side last series too.

Nah they was coming along to help the Black Watch wern't they? Maybe they was told at the Eastwatch tower/lookout?

Looking at the map it makes no sense other than for the visuals as surely they would have just come through the Eastwatch tower even if they had to dock the boats north of the wall?

(Unless you can't come past the wall at the other towers and only Castle black? Also I guess we don't know how far the wall extends into the sea?)

Game-Of-Thrones-HiRes-Map.jpg

There is no body of water north of the wall. Thats the problem. The sea is to the east and Hardhome to the north east

If you look at a map you will see what happened make zero sense

Edit - Like that map above shows ^

Edited by ThomThomDrum

I wonder if there will be as much of an outcry about the child murder as their was sansa's rape? Surely last nights events were infinitely worse.

I think the difference lies in the way that they exist within the narrative. Shireen's death has been building up for a long while. It's pretty much the culmination of the whole of Stannis' character and narrative arc, and it's a huge turning point for the series and for the character.

Sansa's rape was just pointless. It was there for no reason other than shock value. It didn't tell us anything we didn't already know about Ramsay, and the idea that we'll only care about Sansa's predicament if she can add sexual abuse onto the mental and physical trauma she's spent the last 5 series enduring is just pathetic, lazy and crass. As if we didn't have enough reasons to want her to get the hell out of there.

And if it was entirely for the benefit of Theon's character arc, that's even worse. The "murder and rape of the women he cares about" as a motivator for male characters trope just needs to go home now, it's drunk.

And if it was entirely for the benefit of Theon's character arc, that's even worse. The "murder and rape of the women he cares about" as a motivator for male characters trope just needs to go home now, it's drunk.

It most likely was for this. Thats the world of GOT. But it also stimulates (or should) thought in the viewer about how our world see things and how thats evolved recently

I dont believe it was utterly pointless myself.

There is things people can learn from the our own dark history as humans from that scene.

Trying to project your idealised modern day western culture morals onto the world of GOT is not the way to go about it.

The darker side of the morals in the world of GOT show how we are only very recently, as a race, beginning to slowly move away from some of our more questionable morals..........