Get Fit Fatty - the Glastonbury weight-loss thread

Guest euler

Any quick fix diet ….. is exactly that ! even Slimmers world and the like …… yes we can all loose weight while we re on it….

Same as for any quick fix fitness regime.

Life is for living ….

Working in the fitness industry for 24 yrs …. Ive seen it all.

But … for the majority of people none of these quick fixes work…. as you ll put it all back on … and more on top !

Slowly and surely is the best way. Achieving small goals which add up to your BIG goal (loosing weight/getting fitter) given time, count for better long term results.

And yes … walking is the best activity ever! …. its free and you can do it anytime !!!!!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried 5:2 and it would clearly work but the problem was that I go running first thing in the morning and fasting 2 days a week meant no running for 4.

Running 10k in the morning and then only eating 500 calories is too difficult (and I suspect not particularly good for you). Running the morning afterwards if you don't eat first feels like running though a muddy field wearing wellies and eating first just gives me a massive stitch.

Anyway, I've lost a stone and a half since the beginning of the year from wearing a Fitbit and sticking to 1500 net calories a day on My Fitness Pal.

Any quick fix diet ….. is exactly that ! even Slimmers world and the like …… yes we can all loose weight while we re on it….

Same as for any quick fix fitness regime.

Life is for living ….

Working in the fitness industry for 24 yrs …. Ive seen it all.

But … for the majority of people none of these quick fixes work…. as you ll put it all back on … and more on top !

Slowly and surely is the best way. Achieving small goals which add up to your BIG goal (loosing weight/getting fitter) given time, count for better long term results.

And yes … walking is the best activity ever! …. its free and you can do it anytime !!!!!

Basically a pedometer on steroids.

It syncs with your phone and feeds into MyFitnessPal adjusting your calorie goal according to how many calories you've burnt.

Takes the guess work out of calculating your total daily energy expenditure, plus I find it very motivational in terms of getting me to do more activity.

Has anyone found a good calorie counting app?

I like Fat Secret, because I can scan a barcode or search "Skittles" and it bangs it straight in for me, but I hate that it can't add a number myself. I make my own lasagna and store it portioned by calorie, but I can't just enter 450, I have to find something that is 450 cals. (Also, it's a badly made app that has wiped my data a number of times)

• 1 month later...

so with only a couple of weeks left how's everybody's weight loss / getting in to shape efforts going?

i've managed to lose about 25lb over the past few months which i'm rather pleased with, and actually look to have a bit of muscle now rather than the scrawny (yet big bellied) lad i used to be due to going to the gym a few times a week. hopefully it'll all help a bit towards lugging all that stuff to the campsite / the miles of walking over the weekend (although no doubt all to be undone by the copious drinking and excess over the weekend - woo)

I've been exercising and dieting steadily for a while and have been doing ok, but then I decided to get all my Glasto shopping out of the way early. Now the house is full of booze, Pringles, peanuts, jelly babies etc, so it could all go horribly wrong if I'm not very careful!

Have dropped about 25 pounds also, bringing myself back to a 'healthy weight' according to the NHS. Hopefully another 5-6 by the time Glasto comes and I will loosen up my eating habits when I get there on account of all the walking I will be doing then back at it after it's finished!

I have my final follow up hospital appt tomorrow to check my now mended ankle - previously fractured back in March. Am still limping a bit but am hopeful I will just about be fit enough to tackle the hill of death!! Am taking my ankle supports and foldaway stick just in case!!

I gone from a 44inch to 40 inch and lost 2 1/2 stone soooo I could've done much much better (I kept on getting weeks where I'd do a lot of activities which involved beer which involved hangover takeaway because fuck cooking when I'm hungover) and spent most of May and early June fighting a viral infection which caused my muscles to be effectively useless and sore and suffered constant fatigue which stopped my epic 2 hours walks dead in their tracks. Finished my first 2 hour walk in a month today as it was the first time in ages I felt like I had all my energy back and feel great... reckon I'll push on to 3 stone net loss by Glastonbury if I try :)

Disappointed though, if I didn't spend entire months slacking and wasn't sick for so long I reckon I would've hit my target of a 38 inch waist.

Ive struggled, my attempts at getting fit have been thwarted by Jarvis-knee (a condition that causes my kneecap to dislocate when dancing to Pulp songs), so I'm no where near fit enough for a full on Glasto. At this stage Im just hoping to make it through without it going again.... Even if that means plonking myself down infromt of the Park stage on a chair :-(

I'm in the worst shape i've ever been in in my life!

I've had a bad foot which has limited my mobility tremendously. So i'm now a big fatty with no stamina at all. Foot is getting operated on when I get back but think I'll also be spending a lot of time sitting down (with a beer in my hand) :(

Since before Christmas I've been exercising much more (don't know why), I was always pretty slim but very unfit, so I basically started walking everywhere and eating healthier. Feel much better than I did 6 months ago and hopefully it'll pay off in those fields with a rucksack and tent on my back :)

I gone from a 44inch to 40 inch and lost 2 1/2 stone soooo I could've done much much better (I kept on getting weeks where I'd do a lot of activities which involved beer which involved hangover takeaway because fuck cooking when I'm hungover) and spent most of May and early June fighting a viral infection which caused my muscles to be effectively useless and sore and suffered constant fatigue which stopped my epic 2 hours walks dead in their tracks. Finished my first 2 hour walk in a month today as it was the first time in ages I felt like I had all my energy back and feel great... reckon I'll push on to 3 stone net loss by Glastonbury if I try :)

Disappointed though, if I didn't spend entire months slacking and wasn't sick for so long I reckon I would've hit my target of a 38 inch waist.

Well done to all those who have lost some weight, some real substantial losses there.

I have managed to maintain weight as I lost mine a couple of years ago, currently go to the gym 3 times a week and watch what I eat. Makes a huge difference to your entire life, not just Glastonbury.

Commiserations to those who have been unable to shed any poundage due to stuff beyond your control, keep going, it is a constant struggle but it does get easier.

I'm about a stone down on last years weight. It was a bit more but since the 10k run I've rediscovered unhealthy food :(

Not going to worry about it too much before Glastonbury as still keeping myself quite active but after Glastonbury I'll be back into the healthy zone so that hopefully by next Glastonbury I'll be another couple of stone lighter. I have since January 2013 lost nearly 5 stone. Sadly I needed to lose nearly 9 so still a long way to go but I strongly believe slowly is the way to do it. I have my up's and down but it's mostly downs overall.

Started making better choices, lol at start of April, have logged on to MyFitnessPal everyday since then and weigh myself every Monday morning. Lost approx 1-2 pounds a week since then, total as of Monday this week was 21 pounds. Almost totally caused by cycling, golfing, cutting out/down on beer, and sticking to 1500 cals a day.

fc