2014 Looking for an answer or advice

Guest ramragon

Hi, Me again. I'm just planing items to bring. One thing that's been on my mind is how secure is camping? I mean I'm reading the food/tips thread and planning on getting a stove etc, but am thinking that leaving items in your tent is unsafe and could get stolen? Am I being daft? I don't think there's any option but to leave certain items in your tent while at a gig but what do others do?

Thanks

Chris

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Me again. I'm just planing items to bring. One thing that's been on my mind is how secure is camping? I mean I'm reading the food/tips thread and planning on getting a stove etc, but am thinking that leaving items in your tent is unsafe and could get stolen? Am I being daft? I don't think there's any option but to leave certain items in your tent while at a gig but what do others do?

Thanks

Chris

Hi, There has been thefts the past few years from tents, as with a lot of festivals it seems on the Friday nights and mainly money & phones, so it makes sense to take care with this & probably alcohol, but we have left chairs cookers, tables, food etc out all weekend in Emperors with no problem and just in our tent when we were in general. We tend to split our cans so someone can't just run off with a crate load ready packed, and would need to collect single cans which would prove more awkward to get the lot :) enjoy

Thanks

Chris

Stuff like that you should be OK. Professional thieves will only be going for your cash, mobiles, cameras etc, which you'd have to be a real numpty to leave in an unattended tent!

If your stove or camp chair gets nicked it'll more likely be somebody arsing about

We were robbed at a festival once and it was horrible but didn't let it ruin the weekend. Keep your cash and phone on you (even when you're asleep!) and you will be fine.

As suggested above spreading your stuff out in your tent is always a good idea (if you leave stuff packed up nicely in your rucksack and somebody does rob your tent they can take the whole lot and sort through at their leisure rather than spending 10 minutes in your tent rooting through your dirty socks)

The odds on it happening are very small, and most robberies occur on the first night...

Don't worry about it...you'll be fine!

Edited by Flaminglippy

The arena normally opens at 12:00 and band's on pretty much from then although different start times on the different stages. They are normally late opening the arena though due to last minute preparations and getting the sign off from safety.

Could be different this year though as it looks like the arena will be open on Thursday evening. Last time they did that was in 2011 when part of the arena was open with a bar and food stalls and limited acoustic entertainment.

The arena normally opens at 12:00 and band's on pretty much from then although different start times on the different stages. They are normally late opening the arena though due to last minute preparations and getting the sign off from safety.

Could be different this year though as it looks like the arena will be open on Thursday evening. Last time they did that was in 2011 when part of the arena was open with a bar and food stalls and limited acoustic entertainment.

Yeah...spot on. The advertised time the arena opens and the time it actually opens can sometimes be an hour different. Particularly on the first day

First time to KC... does anything go on into the night once the main stages have closed?

Already answered ealier in the thread.

Two questions form me:

Do we have a confirmed map for this year ?

Our party will be arriving at different times on Friday afternoon. Two groups of five; any tips for finding a camping spot together ?

Thanks

Edited by stoopid_name

Two questions form me:

Our party will be arriving at different times on Friday afternoon. Two groups of five; any tips for finding a camping spot together ?

Thanks

They've said there will be a new field added for camping this year so there might be plenty of room. But to be on the safe side, the party arriving first could take both tents, with the second party bring air beds etc if there isn't enough room in the first car. Make sure you arrive in the second party and your tent will be up when you get there.

Two questions form me:

Thanks

The field tends to fill up from the arena end so you could head for other end providing you don't mind further from the excitement.

. But to be on the safe side, the party arriving first could take both tents, with the second party bring air beds etc if there isn't enough room in the first car. Make sure you arrive in the second party and your tent will be up when you get there.

Not a bad idea, thanks. Though I'd struggle to trust my mates setting up my tent :fie: they could certainly bags a space with it though.

Just had my tickets and I'm pretty excited :)

Just wondering if anyone has had an accessibility pack before and when I might expect that? I've had my requirements confirmed with the access guys and they said to wait on a pack after the tickets have arrived?

Also - possibly a daft question, but I'm getting an access car pass, do we need to buy a car park ticket as well as this?

Was there a big wheel last year. There was in 2012. My kids want to know :ninja:

Yes was there last year as well. I think there was a roundabout swing thing as well.

Will the day splits be announced before we get there or do they keep them top secret so we buy a lanyard.

I normally but one anyway but would be good to know whats happening in advance.

They have normally done the day splits and a very rough running order by now. I'm not sure they are going to get round to it this year which is a shame. I find it helps get an idea of who you can see on each day.

Cheers Emandjay. Loads of folks have helped me out on here so I`m returning the favour with some advice.

Have had the same wellies for about 5/6 years I reckon. We won`t need them in the blistering sun at KC this year but for future reference.....

Got sore feet last summer as the inner sole thing was gubbed. For £1, I treated myself to a pair of new inners from Wilkinsons or Home bargains ( cant remember) you just cut them to fit. Tried them out at the weekend. Well comfy - best quid I ever spent.

Been fortunate enough to acquire VIP passes, anyone know what the deal is with those?*

*Specifically, does it involve free booze at any point?! :drinks:

Edit: We were camped a wee bit away from the arena entrance last year (just to the left when you came in the main entrance) and it seemed that the camping areas nearer the arena were really dark at night with no lighting. Was that actually the case when you were there?

Edited by gf1874

Just had my tickets and I'm pretty excited :)

Just wondering if anyone has had an accessibility pack before and when I might expect that? I've had my requirements confirmed with the access guys and they said to wait on a pack after the tickets have arrived?

Also - possibly a daft question, but I'm getting an access car pass, do we need to buy a car park ticket as well as this?

Cheekily bumping this as I've still not received an accessibility pack and I'm wondering when to start worrying!

I got guest list tickets last year. Don't know if they are the same as vip. Compulsory charity donation of £5 per adult per day. I was told there was a vip bar and seperate viewing area free beer and food. All it got me was a seperate entrance to the festival to beat the queues tho by the time I got there fri p.m there weren't any! Looked on a wristband board by a steward and he said vip didn't exist only bar,artist,crew etc. Bit disappointed. Still at least they were free ( almost ! ) but enjoyed it so much we bought tickets this year

Edited by qualiscouse

If we arrive Friday morning, will we be stuck in family camping or do we reckon the edge of the main bit or quiet campsites will still have space?

I'm not bothered about being in the thick of it, but as a couple we don't really want to be woken up by children running around and shouting at 6am!! This happened in emperor's last time and wasn't great.

And what exactly does a 'quiet campsite' entail??

Edited by efcfanwirral

Hi Guys, just to clear up a few things, if you arrive before dinnertime on friday there will still be plenty of camping space in all the areas. Obviously the noisy people tend to camp right at the arena enterance and it gets quieter as you go further back. We normally camp in the quiet camping (just to the left as you come down the hill on entering the site) and have been quite suprised by how quiet it is. If you dont want kids waking you up early doors I would suggest to not go too far towards the back as families will instinctively want to get away from the areana enterance. Obviously this all depends on if the layout is the same as previous years. I would say in general the camping areas are more spacious at KC than other festivals but that's just my opinion.

Hello - I have been to Kendal once before (2012), but this year have gone for Emperors camping rather than just general. Can anyone advise how far the car park is to the camping area and if it would be ok to make multiple trips to/from the car with the all the stuff? Cheers :-)