R+L New Band Listener Thread - 2014 Edition

Guest dentalplan

I had a brainwave: we should get listening to some new bands before the announcement so it looks more appealing when the full line-up full of cheap hype bands comes out in a few months, because there were moans all round when the line-up dropped in March '13 and there were smaller bands all over the line up but they turned out to be some of the weekend's highlights for people. I've floated the 'what new bands are good?' question in the Lineup 2014 thread a couple of times because you guys seem to have your ears closer to the ground than I do, but it gets buried amongst everyone posting the same prediction, so I thought we could get to work here instead! I know these threads usually come about after the line up has been fully announced but sod it, that's too late.

So like, post a band's name and an accompanying video or Soundcloud link, preferrably a band you could see popping up at R+L that have been around four or five years or less and haven't already played Main or NME, and we could listen and discuss it or whatever. Thanks.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight Alive - Female-fronted pop-punk band from Australia. Played the Kerrang tour and Slam Dunk Festival main stage this year, plus two headline tours. Released their second album, The Other Side, this year to positive reception. Seem to have a lot of hype and momentum amongst the Kerrang crowd. Could open the main stage, or go low NME or mid rock/FR stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhdaCt2DhE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc6lhFWhofA

Edited by Hart Attack

Good work. some very good ones in here. Here goes some more:

The Orwells

Very likely to be at UK festivals. Getting a lot of NME coverage and were on Jools Holland a couple of weeks ago but just in case you haven't heard them yet...

Speedy Ortiz

The vocalist was in a female Pavement cover band before this. All I need to say.

Edited by dentalplan

NO CEREMONY/// take the London Grammar/XX vibes and give them a slightly heavier edge. They've supported Pixies and Foals and have Joey Santiago playing guitar on one of their album tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/noceremony/no-ceremony-feelsolow

Skinny Girl Diet are an all-female punk trio from London who supported Primal Scream at iTunes

https://soundcloud.com/skinnygirldietband/sets/demo-653

Catfish and the Bottlemen played in a relatively low slot this year but should be back mid NME/high FR next year. They've had a HROTW from Zane Lowe and have been heralded as 'the new Feeder'

https://soundcloud.com/catfishandthebottlemen/rango

Some really good shouts here. First time hearing Polterghost and they were really cool, Skinny Girl Diet and NO CEREMONY are cool too. I'd heard and already love DZ Deathrays, California X and Yuck so that's a +1 from me. :D

I hope the rest of you are listening to these!

I'll repost these cos it cut off my post.

Royal Blood

We've been declaring our love for these for a couple of months in the Lineup 2014 thread but anyway, they're playing in front of 100,000 Arctic Monkeys fans in May and they're gonna be one of those bands that fill out the FR.

The Wytches

Droning stoner rock in 2013? Yep, you better believe it

I'm on my mobile so I'll do this properly when to get home. I suggest

Giants

Baby Godzilla

Arcane Roots

Hacktivist

letlive. (I know these aren't the smallest band but people needs to check them out if you haven't already)

Some of the best bands around right now. Arcane Roots album is my fave of the year. Not seen Giants live but the other four are four of the best live bands you could ever see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYdaMp500yk

Think a few people have heard Exit International and they did BBC introducing a while back but they've released their second album and it's incredible. Would be a shame if they didn't play a few big fests next year.

The Wytches

Droning stoner rock in 2013? Yep, you better believe it

My take on The Wythces:

The Brighton based band, who seemingly already had a strong fan base in the room, quickly won over the crowd as they crashed through a dark set full of stinging guitar and murky bass, sounding like a psychedelic lovechild of The White Stripes and Bossanova-era Pixies, or ‘surf-doom’ as they put it themselves.

:P

My take on The Wythces:

The Brighton based band, who seemingly already had a strong fan base in the room, quickly won over the crowd as they crashed through a dark set full of stinging guitar and murky bass, sounding like a psychedelic lovechild of The White Stripes and Bossanova-era Pixies, or ‘surf-doom’ as they put it themselves.

Shouldn't 'Brighton based' be hyphenated?

Edited by mrtourette

Think a few people have heard Exit International and they did BBC introducing a while back but they've released their second album and it's incredible. Would be a shame if they didn't play a few big fests next year.

I hadn't heard of them. That was pretty cool, cheers. :D

My take on The Wythces:

:P

I think there's much more stoner rock in there than blues rock. But let's not fight.