Crap bands and their crap songs

kaosmark2

Hang on though, System only played in 2013. (I know you're gonna target me for comparing Manson to System) but it's not now suddenly unheard of for a heavy band to play R&L.

50 Cent subbed green day in 2003, and he's a 'massive star'.

I have no objection to the dance stage, I feel it actually made the Queens crowd better, full of people that wanted to be there. Those who wanted D&B and EDM went to see Netsky.

I don't even think the Queens crowd was that small, and almost everyone who saw them (from my friend group) said they were "really really good" and glad that I recommended them.

I'd say the whole Topman thing is not the fault of reading, but the fault of youth culture as a whole, pretty sure there were annoying trends in the early 2000's that people moaned about. Pretty sure some people who adapted those trends attended reading.

Yeah I think the shift is often somewhat exaggerated as there are still the likes of SOAD and NIN there and not Beyonce or Coldplay but it's certainly there. You seem to be grasping that youth culture has shifted, as the article has stated. People didn't used to go to R+L for drum n bass, that's another cultural shift.

Edited by dentalplan

Yeah I think the shift is often somewhat exaggerated as there are still the likes of SOAD and NIN there and not Beyonce or Coldplay but it's certainly there. You seem to be grasping that youth culture has shifted, as the article has stated. People didn't used to go to R+L for drum n bass, that's another cultural shift.

Maybe just a consideration, but maybe R&L incorporated the dance tent etc simply because competition between festivals has become ridiculous and the market is extremely over saturated.

If they wanna sell 2x 80,000 tickets, they've got to satisfy the music tastes of 160,000 people.

Maybe just a consideration, but maybe R&L incorporated the dance tent etc simply because competition between festivals has become ridiculous and the market is extremely over saturated.

If they wanna sell 2x 80,000 tickets, they've got to satisfy the music tastes of 160,000 people.

What is going on with you? I understand that and they've done that as all the festivals have changed their ways because of... (drumroll)... the shift in youth culture.

What is going on with you? I understand that and they've done that as all the festivals have changed their ways because of... (drumroll)... the shift in youth culture.

But I don't see how this is such a negative thing? Because shifts in culture and changes in demographic are bound to, and always will happen. Which is why when people criticise reading for moving with the change in culture, I find the accusation silly.

Thing is they're both pretty different attitudes to rock music which is p interesting

Oh aye I didn't really mean the direct comparison. Just because someone else mentioned choosing one over the other. Drenge were never gonna have the backing Royal Blood has what with them being (I think) on an indie label and RB being on WB.

The festival used to be fuelled by a passion – that anything mainstream was fucking “bollocks”, thatDaphne and Celeste deserved to be showered in piss, and that all authoritative questioning would be answered with the unified response – “Fuck you! I won’t do what you tell me”. It wasn’t truly subversive, just snarly and rebellious - kind of like a bratty teen who wouldn’t clean up its room.

Shunning mainstream music, yet Eminem and Green Day both played in that year. Two very mainstream acts.

It's an article trying to pretend that in the "good old days", festival goers liked bands and acts that didn't follow the crowd and weren't mainstream. Yet these acts were mainstream.

I think it's just this aspect of the article that annoys me most.

It was just before American idiot hit, green day were anything but mainstream at the time.

Well then, if you're gonna discount Green Day. Marilyn Manson and Eminem were two massive acts

By the time Eminem played reading in 2001, He had released the Marshal Mathers LP which sold like 2 million worldwide on it's opening week. So yeah.. pretty mainstream.

Well then, if you're gonna discount Green Day. Marilyn Manson and Eminem were two massive acts

By the time Eminem played reading in 2001, He had released the Marshal Mathers LP which sold like 2 million worldwide on it's opening week. So yeah.. pretty mainstream.

No, Marilyn Manson was still an extremely controversial artist and his stage show was still esoteric

Edited by Yellow_Fellow