Keeping Tent Cold

Guest Alabama shook

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have that Coleman fan, and I paid more than that for it. I used it in our caravan in 2011, and in my tent at Greenman later that year and in 2012.

It's not as heavy as it looks. The fan itself weighs little, the batteries of course make it heavier, but still not too bad. I was able to suspend it from the inner of my tent and felt confident it would stay put. You might have problems in a pop-up.

It is bulky, so if you are trying to save space, as opposed to weight it's probably a bad idea. Batteries worked fine over three days of Greenman, but I suspect you might want spare batteries for Glasto. Really depends on how much you run it.

I can't compare it to space blankets as a solution, but it really worked well for me. Yes the fan blades are foam but they worked. Nice gentle breeze on low setting. Quite a good breeze on strong. Yes its pushing around hot air, but that circulation does help. Even made a mid-afternoon nap possible.

I'll be taking it this year and at that price it's very reasonable.

UK

You can get them emergency blankets from poundland now, they are good for the money and you get 2 in a pack so 4 packs will be more than enough for a 4 man tent I should think giving you spare if you hash it up

Planning to erect my tent next week for re waterproofing so will work out then what Glasto worker says about using the space blankets

Friends always laugh at me for this but I a theory that going to bed in just my boxers; whatever time that may be, I always wake up pretty cold no matter the weather, waking up in a sweaty tent wearing layers of clothing and a sleeping bag is going to be horrible, but waking up in just your pants your always going to be a bit chilly :coldb:

You can get them emergency blankets from poundland now, they are good for the money and you get 2 in a pack so 4 packs will be more than enough for a 4 man tent I should think

giving you spare if you hash it up

Planning to erect my tent next week for re waterproofing so will work out then what Glasto

worker says about using the space blankets

Friends always laugh at me for this but I a theory that going to bed in just my boxers; whatever time that may be, I always wake up pretty cold no matter the weather, waking up in a sweaty tent wearing layers of clothing and a sleeping bag is going to be horrible, but waking up in just your pants your always going to be a bit chilly :coldb:

Edited by LondonTom

Have done the space blankets thing a few times, it definitely works. The emergency shelters are definitely preferable as they are bigger, they seemed pretty scarce in 2011 but have seen them in poundland and 99p store this year. Need to be careful with bulldog types clips though as I used them one year and they ripped it in the wind. Have a 3 man pop up tent and found the easiest way to attach was to tie it by it's corners to the guy ropes.

Oh and you should probably bring earplugs, they can be quite noisy!

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has already been asked on this thread, but does attaching the space blankets between the inner and outer tent linings work just as well as putting them on the outside of the tent, or does it make it worse by decreasing ventilation?

Apologies if this has already been asked on this thread, but does attaching the space blankets between the inner and outer tent linings work just as well as putting them on the outside of the tent, or does it make it worse by decreasing ventilation?

Me too. Our tent is currently up in the garden with space blankets pegged inside but it took ages and we're looking for an easier way to do it, either by being able to keep it attached when it gets packed away (the pegs make it too bulky) or by attaching all the blankets together so we can just slide it in.