Blow up mattress or self inflating mat?

Guest Thearg

Could just be worth comparing the two at Go outdoors when you go, the mats are only about an inch deep, not too bad if you have 2 on top of each other but can still be a bit too firm...

have you not thought about getting a camp bed?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-4-leg-camping-bed-p143629

this one is only 20 cm off the ground and may be a good alternative

Edited by Thearg

get yourself a blow up nowadays your sure to find some one with a battery powerd pump

i brought a big double a few years back didnt look at it till we were at the festi and found it was 24 volt ha ha SO i went up to the ice cream van man that ive got to over about 10 years of going to glasto and asked him if i could use his jenny .....pumped it up and wondered back to tent with wot looked like a double bed it was bloody big lol

ahh glasto you gotta love it

Edited by guypjfreak

They usually have a few campbeds and mattresses set up in the tents in the showroom.

I'm fairly sure my self inflating mattress is the thinner one, about £12.99. Didn't want the weight of the heavier one. I know there are some super-expensive mattresses but I had to draw a line somewhere.

They usually have a few campbeds and mattresses set up in the tents in the showroom.

I'm fairly sure my self inflating mattress is the thinner one, about £12.99. Didn't want the weight of the heavier one. I know there are some super-expensive mattresses but I had to draw a line somewhere.

As Tony Blair would say, there is a third way... The Thermarest NeoAir range (as well as similar offerings from other brands) are blow-up mattresses that pack down to a fraction of the size of a self-inflating mattress. I've got one and I can highly recommend it. They're a lot thinner than a normal air-bed, but by having lots of ribbed compartments, they manage to avoid your shoulders/hips etc touching the floor.

Personally, I use a dirty great big blow-up mattress, duvet and pillows, but that's cos I can drive my car very close to our workers' campsite. When I need to travel light, it's the NeoAir every time.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff

As Tony Blair would say, there is a third way... The Thermarest NeoAir range (as well as similar offerings from other brands) are blow-up mattresses that pack down to a fraction of the size of a self-inflating mattress. I've got one and I can highly recommend it. They're a lot thinner than a normal air-bed, but by having lots of ribbed compartments, they manage to avoid your shoulders/hips etc touching the floor.

Personally, I use a dirty great big blow-up mattress, duvet and pillows, but that's cos I can drive my car very close to our workers' campsite. When I need to travel light, it's the NeoAir every time.

We've got self inflating ones that inflate to about 10cm. They are not the smallest when packed down though. But we went for the bigger ones as with the exception of Glasto when we camp, the car is not far away.

Used to have blow up matresses but they always seemed to get a puncture - 1 or 2 camping trips out of them at most.

At glasto the grass on the fields is normally fairly thick so adds another layer of comfort.

Could just be worth comparing the two at Go outdoors when you go, the mats are only about an inch deep, not too bad if you have 2 on top of each other but can still be a bit too firm...

have you not thought about getting a camp bed?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-4-leg-camping-bed-p143629

this one is only 20 cm off the ground and may be a good alternative