The last time Biffy Clyro, Green Day, System Of A Down and Eminem all played Reading and Leeds together...

Guest VCK

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Saturday main in particular is incredibly weak.

Compared to that year, the amount of variety on main on its own is incredible.

One of the main problems when looking back at this lineup in ten years will be the similarities between this and ten or more years ago. It's not going to be looked on favourably. Even if you could argue there's an absence of big acts to take those places, that's not going to be noted.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

If any of you want to see a ridiculously good line-up:

Reading_19941.jpg

Check out the top 5 on that Saturday. Pulp, Radiohead and the Manics back-to-back, before they all went on to become absolutely massive, followed by Ice Cube and Primal Scream. As Martin Tyler would say, I swear you'll never see anything like this again, stupendous!

Reading_19941.jpg

Check out the top 5 on that Saturday. Pulp, Radiohead and the Manics back-to-back, before they all went on to become absolutely massive, followed by Ice Cube and Primal Scream. As Martin Tyler would say, I swear you'll never see anything like this again, stupendous!

Reading_19941.jpg

wow..that '94 line up is awesome! Cypress Hill, Lemonheads, Pavement, Sebadoh, Deus, Ice Cube, Pulp, Superchunk, Soundgarden, Rollins Band, The Afghan Whigs, The Jesus Lizard, They Might Be Giants and Archers of Loaf :)

It reads more like an ATP line up now though than a Reading one...

All I remember from '07 is Dinosaur Jr, Arcade Fire, the abominaion that was RHCP, NIN and the Pumpkins. I look down that Friday and cannot picture myself seeing any of it, I must have slept in every day as well. Shocking.

I always sleep in anyway, always miss the first 2 bands or so :P, but yeah, JEW, Ash, Biffy, Enter Shikari (when they were fresh), Dinosaur JR, Billy Talent, Lostprophets, Bloc Party (again, fresh), plus chilis, who yeah ok, were shit but good on paper, and NIN and pumpkins. When I went I hadn't seen many of those.

Agreed it doesn't compare to 05, 06, or 08 though - but 09 was a horror show for me

Actually after a few minutes hard thinking I believe I saw JEW on the Friday night as I remember being disappointed that they didn't play Salt Sweat Sugar and then thinking that they probably played it on the main stage earlier as it's one of their commercial songs. Also remember Kate Nash packing out the Carling tent and being stood by the bar and watching the mayhem as everyoe tried to pile out afterwards, and there being Kate Nash paper flags everywhere. Not sure what day that was though.

'07 was a pile of w*nk, one of the weakest line-ups ever and that's coming from someone who has a Smashing Pumpkins album as his avatar! Panic! At The Disco had a high Main Stage slot and The View headlined the NME, what a dark time for music that was.

Look how Hadouken! are on the NME stage, and that was back when you could count on more than one hand the amount of people who cared about them.

'07 was a pile of w*nk, one of the weakest line-ups ever and that's coming from someone who has a Smashing Pumpkins album as his avatar! Panic! At The Disco had a high Main Stage slot and The View headlined the NME, what a dark time for music that was.

Look how Hadouken! are on the NME stage, and that was back when you could count on more than one hand the amount of people who cared about them.

Panic were massive at the time though, although I agree, them and fall out boy was abit pants! The view as well, yeah, but when you had chilis and smashing pumpkins as the alternatives you can't complain! It's like any year, something is gonna be shit while something else is good on. This years Saturday is the only time I can think where it's been shit all over, but hopefully the FR or lock up stage make up for that.

Hadouken, again yep, and that's why I'm sure they will open or play 8th on Sunday this year. But around those shit you do have some stunners, I think it was a good year for variety, which I thought lacked in 09

Edited by VCK