Boots or Wellies..

Guest greatsphinx

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st time I ever went to Glasto in 2005 I wore walking boots and found it impossible not to get my hands covered in mud when getting them off (this may have had something to do with the amount of cider consumed though!) since then I have always worn wellies, just wear them in for a few weeks before so that they are comfy as you will be doing a lot of walking

I have my nice waterproof leather walking boots, with no goretex liner. Then some reasonably substantial breathable gaiters, mainly to protect the laces but they also means you can take on pretty much anything a welly can if the going gets tough. If it is muddy then the gaiters stay attached to the boot for the duration so the laces and upper boot that you touch stays clean. Some nice comfortable lightweight wool socks, a very thin synthetic liner sock underneath and my system is complete.

This is the path to surefooted comfortable enlightenment. Shun the familiar but flawed way of the welly padawan smile.png

Edited by wolfticket

Boots and combat shorts is my usual attire, even if it's dry. Ok, if it's absolutely 2010 then trainers....

I've tried wellies, but boots protect your ankles if the ground is uneven, which it is, if your legs get wet, they dry, and boots don't come off in the mud. I've never bothered with gaiters.

They can be a bit awkward to get off when you want to go in your tent, but otherwise a winner every time.

edit <lots of pairs of socks - make sure you take much more than you think you need>

Edited by jeffie

I never understood how the gaiters stop water creeping up? I take walking boots and wellies with thick long socks ie socks that come above the top of the wellie

If there's loads of rain/deep sludge like 2007 then wellies all the way for me unless somebody convince me about gaitors and creeping water.

Even that I probably won't trust what's said and stick to wellies :)

Edited by whisty

If the weather is bad, then no substitute for wellies I say and much easier to clean after but boots can become uncomfortable if wearing for long periods.

If the ground is dry, I will wear walking boots all festival. Much more comfortable than wellies and good for all the walking/standing that goes with a festival

but NFR NFC then all wellies bets are off !!

Don't listen to NFR NFC, it's most likely gonna rain and circa 200k people walking on wet grass turns into mud real quick.

If you're an optimist, take wellies and leave them in your car if you have one :)

Edited by whisty

I never understood how the gaiters stop water creeping up? I take walking boots and wellies with thick long socks ie socks that come above the top of the wellie

If there's loads of rain/deep sludge like 2007 then wellies all the way for me unless somebody convince me about gaitors and creeping water.

Even that I probably won't trust what's said and stick to wellies smile.png

I'm not sure how to do the convincing except to say I went everywhere in boots in 2007 without even bothering with gaiters. I just did. I was actually pretty unstoppable in 2007 too, untill I lapsed into an alcoholic coma during The Chemical Brothers on Sunday night anyway.

but - i also don't know why I'd convine you. If you like wellies wear wellies & I'll wear boots!

I haven't used them, but some of my friends have for 'green laning' on motorbikes - reports are very favourable - you can't help getting water in to motorbike boots in winter in the UK generally, but these keep your feet themselves toasty and dry.

Ok, it's still going to be hassle having a mud-caked shoe/boot, but may be preferable having such that actually fits well which you can walk all day in.