Boots or Wellies..

Guest greatsphinx

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am after people opinions.. Can boots provide the protection that wellies can?

I am flat footed but I can usually withstand the pain of walking for miles if I am wearing a good pair of walking boots... I am torn between wearing my boots with gaiters or buying pair of wellies?

I guess I could take both but I am looking at taking very minimal amount of equipment with me.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After my muddy experience last Glastonbury I would wear wellies even though I lost feeling in my toes for 6 months after! As my DM boots would never withstand that mud. But if its not swimming in water I will be taking my boots and leave them in the car. I have new wedge wellies as they are better for my back and I now have memory foam in soles which are fab :)

Waterproof, breathable hiking boots with gaitors if needed, I might even look for some breathable gaitors if they exist. You may not be able to wade through the very deepest of puddles/swamps but at least the suction created by the really claggy stuff won't pull your boots off. I only take one pair (well wear) with me so come rain or shine I'm wearing hiking boots.

Can't speak about the higher quality wellies but the dunlop ones I have weren't very comfortable after a day in them.

Decent quality socks with either will improve comfort levels.

edited for spelling

Edited by miniand

boots all the way, survived the flood of 2005 with boots and gaitors. There decent ones so there breathable and waterproof so not to bad to wear when its warm. Wellies make your legs sweat when the sun comes out but the ground is still to wet if that makes sense.

had Wellies last year and they were surprisingly comfortable, although I had to invest in a few pairs of flowery knee-high socks from the sock place in West Holts, cos the ones I brought were too short.

I wore them with an extra pair of thick walking socks as well and brought plenty of athletes foot powder to prevent any discomfort.

I'll be bringing the same this year but of course I won't need them cos it'll be sunny for the whole week.

About ten years ago it started pissing down so I bought a pair of secondhand Brasher walking boots from the boot shop,run by travelers at Glasto,they were hardly worn,I paid £20,there a £130 new and they were brilliant,nice dry feet the whole weekend and many festies to come

I dont know if the shop exists nowadays,there doesn't seem to be many travelers anymore,shame really

Invest in a good pair of walking boots,dont get Karimore or hightech theyre shit,as I say Brasher are good,I bought a pair of these a couple of years ago and theyre the nuts http://www.outdoorki...CFQfKtAodYAQATw

Wow you can get them for about £70 a pair now,bargain

I think they come in womens too

At Glastonbury I'd say good walking boots.

Generally Glasto is well prepared for bad weather and they're pretty good at mopping up the water. The mud may be squelchy but not too deep and you can usually walk round the worst.

At the IoW this year the prats supposedly organising the festival did nothing to alleviate the water and there were places where the only access was wading across a 20ft wide lake about 10 inches deep in water. For that weekend it had to be wellies all the way.

A friend of mine works for Festival Medical Services and tells me a problem a lot of people have is 'welly rash' where the tops of their wellies rub against their legs. So if you do wear wellies make sure you've got long socks above the top of your wellies as protection.

It's particularly a problem when you get hot sun after a downpour. People wear shorts because it's hot but wellies because it's still wet underfoot.

Edited by grumpyhack