Pearl Jam 2013

Guest Whittick

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yeah, to me 'grunge' is nothing and I hate the word. When people say it to me I think of a fake scene created by idiots that ended up being responsible for shit like Silverchair, Bush or Creed. 'Seattle scene' is marginally better as it least that restricts it to Seattle (and the surrounding area) bands but it still paints a picture of harmony and kinship that didn't exist, no matter how many of them played in each other's bands.

But I agree how you define 'grunge' and what it means to you is probably the cause of this disagreement.

It's not a defense, I guess just an answer as to why all these bands labeled "Grunge" sound so different. Because they all sounded (although similar in some ways) very different to start with.

Amen to the bloated joke comment, there are plenty of people who consider bands like Bush and Silverchair to be the definition of grunge.... bleurrgh!

Well yeah, to me 'grunge' is nothing and I hate the word. When people say it to me I think of a fake scene created by idiots that ended up being responsible for shit like Silverchair, Bush or Creed. 'Seattle scene' is marginally better as it least that restricts it to Seattle (and the surrounding area) bands but it still paints a picture of harmony and kinship that didn't exist, no matter how many of them played in each other's bands.

But I agree how you define 'grunge' and what it means to you is probably the cause of this disagreement.

I think the whole thing was a mistake and someone at Voda had been looking at that 'leak' fake poster that had the live nation slip thing on it and got mixed up and posted the wrong band.

Its probably some old fucker working at Voda who has no idea who these bands are

cock-up is always possible, but my take is that things like this are generally well-managed.

Aye the pre-sale would have to have been organised with livenation directly and I cant see LN providing them a link with no absolute info. Stone Sour are touring next summer mostly and Slipknot were meant to and are due a headline show here as Corey said thered be a knotfest in the UK so I dont think Download was always the plan but it would have been easy to negotiate I imagine what with Stone Sour apparently playing and them loving Download

Aye the pre-sale would have to have been organised with livenation directly and I cant see LN providing them a link with no absolute info. Stone Sour are touring next summer mostly and Slipknot were meant to and are due a headline show here as Corey said thered be a knotfest in the UK so I dont think Download was always the plan but it would have been easy to negotiate I imagine what with Stone Sour apparently playing and them loving Download

Edited by Black_Crow

Were rumoured a few weeks ago, not on here though.

they were one of a number of guesses people were making. There was nothing to make slipknot any stronger a rumour than any of the other guesses.

If slopknit were that obvious, no one would have believed the vodaphone PJ.

Edited by eFestivals

I agree with Neil and think the whole Pearl Jam thing was instigated on purpose, there's no other reason for it. It's blatantly obvious that they are Sonisphere's big pull next year and by saying they are playing Download it would have secured more ticket sales for them, but I think it back-fired more than they anticipated.

The thing about Andy saying those hints likeva band who had someone play this year/ won an award turned out to be porkies. Someone claimed it was on a rafio interview but was confitmed false by others and also Andy himself. If Slipknot were first booked, why were they last to be announced - with that massive cock up from vodafone it all seems a bit odd

The thing about Andy saying those hints likeva band who had someone play this year/ won an award turned out to be porkies. Someone claimed it was on a rafio interview but was confitmed false by others and also Andy himself. If Slipknot were first booked, why were they last to be announced - with that massive cock up from vodafone it all seems a bit odd

I just don't see the benefit in Download purposefully leaking them, I mean VF took it down quickly too so I doubt there was even any amount of ticket sales. And aye, Andy has lied in the past, but it wasn't just him who dismissed those "clues" and why would he give very specific clues like that just to retract them. I think it was just someone making something up - and wishful thinking and speculation carried it away, originally the "award" one wasn't even in it, then somehow that got tacked on as one of his supposed clues. And if Andy was giving away clues to slipknot away back in June, why were they last announced? Surely they'd have been first out of the bag, and his original plan was to announce all 3 together, then that changed for whatever reason, could have been PJ's last minute dropout?

With Vodafone leaking PEarl Jam in a rather official way, and Thrash Hits claiming to have multiple sources (all of which had Rammstein and Maiden as the other two headliners) and saying they'd heard the same from everywhere about all 3 and the third was meant to be a band that had never done DL before. The whole thing just screamed that PJ were likely near booked them had a last minute change of heart - and no I'm not saying that means they'll do Sonisphere, if anything it could mean they just decided to scrap coming to Europe next year completely, or could do somewhere else...or their own dates...or anything

I get what you're saying about him waiting, but it could have been Slipknot were in talks to play at one point, but he went with IM/PJ/Rammstein, but when things changed he went back to Slipknot, they topped the 2013 headliner poll (after Rammstein and Maiden) after all so I'm sure he wouldn't have minded having them, but for everything to point to Pearl Jam, then that to suddenly fall apart seems incredibly fishy.

Edited by kipper64