Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Haven't seen it yet but reckon this could well be closer to my feelings when I do. I do tend to get a bit bored with endless action scenes, fight scenes and car chases. Still going to see it though cos it'll still be fun up until then

for me it ended at just the right time. As i said before, it was very intense.

edit: been thinking that the villain Immortan Joe had his look based on Toecutter from the first film as a fan service but just read it is Hugh Keays-Byrne.

Edited by WS_Jack_III

To balance it up for you, Kermode gave it 3 out of 5 and reckons the action is too much and becomes boring after 2 hours.

Kermode isn't happy unless he's being reduced to tears by a foreign language film about a terminally-ill gender-confused hairdresser in a coming-of-age debut by an auteur who might-just-might be this generations answer to a director I hadn't previously heard of.

• Upvote 3

Kermode isn't happy unless he's being reduced to tears by a foreign language film about a terminally-ill gender-confused hairdresser in a coming-of-age debut by an auteur who might-just-might be this generations answer to a director I hadn't previously heard of.

I don't think that's a fair appraisal of kermodes taste, I find I generally agree with him, although there are a few exceptions.

• 2 weeks later...

Man of the year, currently available on iPlayer. Yet another Robin Williams film I was unaware of, this one taking a look at the US political system, worth a watch for the kind of performance that we love from Robin Williams (part sentimental, part manic, part telling the truth so hard it hurts) and cracking cameos from an all star cast.

To be fair to Kermode, he has called out some popular stinkers and championed some really good films that got little attention elsewhere. I enjoy listening to him talk with passion, even if I don't always agree with his conclusions.

Maxine Madness - Furiosa Imperator

The best action film since forfuckingever; and aside from the Matrix and RaidDredd, probably as far back as the original RoboCop. And he have it 3/5 stars.

And yes I'm being a bit cruel to him and yes I like reading his reviews and his BBC News review segments and yes I think that's fine because he can take it.

He has given Mad Max the same rating as he gave Robocop 2014. Think about that for a moment. It boggles my mind and I quite like Robocop 2014.

Full disclosure: it's midday and I'm on my second bottle.

I do find it weird when people get upset by a reviewer having a different opinion to them. Very strange. Some of the comments on Kermode's review of Mad Max where just bizarre. They seemed to take it really personally

Yeah it boggles the mind people get into a rage about films not even getting bad reviews but not getting perfect score reviews, Rotten Tomatoes had to disable the comment sections on their review listings as people started sending death/rape threats.

• Upvote 1

his opinions on 3d are ridiculous, I agree that films that have had 3d put over the top are cash grabbers, but watching a film in Imax 3d makes films so much more immeserive, which is the point of the cinema experience

Gravity, Avatar and Mad Max are three of my favourite cinema experiences, saw them all in 3d Imax, 5/5 each one

but when watching the films in a home cinema I would give them 4/5 because I don't feel part of that world, I feel like I'm watching a good film.

his opinions on 3d are ridiculous, I agree that films that have had 3d put over the top are cash grabbers, but watching a film in Imax 3d makes films so much more immeserive, which is the point of the cinema experience

Gravity, Avatar and Mad Max are three of my favourite cinema experiences, saw them all in 3d Imax, 5/5 each one

but when watching the films in a home cinema I would give them 4/5 because I don't feel part of that world, I feel like I'm watching a good film.

Mad Max is a much better film than Gravity or Avatar.

I'm staunchly anti-3D, it's the worst way to watch a film for me. I can't concentrate on the film because my eyes are trying to force themselves into watching a mainly blurry screen in an unnatural and unfamiliar way, everything looks disjointed like the film has been cut up with scissors to create this awkward illusion. It feels like trying to watch a film through somebody else's glasses that are the wrong prescription, and what do I do with the 3D glasses? Do I put them over my normal glasses? Or just replace mine? I used to love regular IMAX, but it seems to be completely replaced by 3D IMAX, which is a travesty in my eyes.

I live near an Imax saw so both of them there. Mad Mad was not made in 3D and arguably the worst scene in the film (the in-your-face guitar crash) was CGI'd later. It wasn't bad for a conversion at all, but for "the 3D effect" Gravity poops all over it.

But Gravity is a film I never need to see again. Fury Road I am going to see very many times.