Bestival highs and lows

Guest bexj

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we could all stereotype the small minority of punters at Bestival, I think about 95% of the crowd are just there for a good time.

There was a couple of small incidents where people looked slightly aggressive and pushing past etc, but I've seen a lot worse at other festivals, and as Rachie says.. at Glasto too.

This was my 5th year, and I've never seen any actual fighting or trouble there in all that time.. long may it continue.

Large groups of 25-30 year old males who seem 'ladish' and boisterous don't mean they are out to cause trouble, everyone I spoke to this year was friendly and up for a good time.. who isn't? :)

Bestival, like most other festivals will become a victim of it's own success. The better reputation it gets, the more people who'll go not for the music or the experience but just to get fucked up all weekend and act like a dick. It's certainly happened at other fests I've went to including Leeds, TITP and Rockness and I don't think Bestival is immune from this.

hehe..you remind me of my OH he says i shouldnt tell people about this fest or glasto/bearded ect (friends/wrk assosiats) because it will become big...and 'common'..and there for shit.

I disagree, i cant relate bestvial to T in the park/leeds/reading/download/V cos its nothing like them, they never ever preteneded to be anything else other the a big gig. its just an open aired concert. I spent 10 years at leeds, and loved it but its NOT a festvial. (as in our terms of a festvial)

I seriosly doubt that the audience will change that, i think bestival/glasto/*all the smaller fests* have a complete diferent underground respecting audience.....

I disagree that leeds/ T in the park ever had that....the music might have been better back then, the actual festvial hasnt changed. IMHO ...same shit different decade.....

Edited by Rachie

One experience can change you whole view of a festival. A small group of scumbags burgled my tent on the last morning, fortunately there was nothing of value in it because I take everything of value with me wherever I go, other than a cheap radio and some pear cider. But that experience did change my view of the festival at the time.

After a week, I have looke back and can't remember any negative moments at all other than that. Everyone was brilliant, very friendly, sharing booze, etc, everyone was very nice. Just got to get the violation of being robbed out of my head. And remember there are 10 times as many scumbags in any city or town centre on a Saturday night

Edited by dingbat2

RDB has already confirmed the Big Top will be bigger next year and will be moved to a different field, that will make a great difference.

I wonder where they'll put it - some have suggested the old mainstage field but I doubt there's enough room there for a massive big top so I would guess it's got to move eastward into the wishing tree field maybe or one of the camping fields (green/blue).

i reckon magic meadow field where rizlab is or right in the corner where the cash machines are. that could all be used as space for big top and then rizlab, wagamamas and cash machines could all go where big top is now and the firework display could happen from there also. i can't see it being anywhere else really, it won't go right back into the campsites as that'll only cause chaos and i don't see bollywood moving

Perhaps right down the other end of the field near Black Dahlia (or whatever its called now) but this could cause huge bottle necks past Bollywood. Definitely can't go on the Magic Meadow field as its too steep.

That's the old main stage field and I'd be surprised if they decided to try and squeeze a huge big top in there. If they did there wouldn't be much room down the sides and would be like when the mainstage was there - very difficult to get out if you're down the front for the big acts without going right through the crowd (they used to have to close access to the woods at that end to prevent people going in there for a piss). On the other hand it's got a good access road for backstage/production - an essential that people overlook when they call for the stage to be at other end of the big top..

I had a great weekend, best festival I've been to. I didn't have any problems with the crowd at all.

My only compliants are around the sound clash between the main stage and big top, and the price of drink at the bars - especially for cans which was a scandal.

It is a cracking festival, much more manageable than Glastonbury IMHO. I personally don't see it as trying to copy Glastonbury, it has plenty of its own unique charm as far as I'm concerned.

I had a great weekend, best festival I've been to. I didn't have any problems with the crowd at all.

My only compliants are around the sound clash between the main stage and big top, and the price of drink at the bars - especially for cans which was a scandal.

It is a cracking festival, much more manageable than Glastonbury IMHO. I personally don't see it as trying to copy Glastonbury, it has plenty of its own unique charm as far as I'm concerned.

Saying Bestival needs to get its own identity is fair but made it me think... & for the life of me I couldn't think of many original new things that would be viable at a festival.

Bestival I still see as very different to Glastonbury & adding the Asian structure outside the Bollywood Tent was a nice touch.

Latitude has some nice 'secretish' areas in the middle of the forest, but not like Bestival. But then the Ambient Forest is part of an all year round adventure park isn't it, no other festivals are like that I don't think. Hence they can an have the toboggan ride, which is unique, albeit I was a bit shocked they charged 4 quid a go!

Permaculture Garden at Glasto is quite nice as well, but on a tenth of the scale of the Ambient forest

Absolutely loved the Ampitheatre by the way, a fantastic venue for intimate music, decent comedy and poetry..,, and David Icke of course!

• 4 months later...

Was my first Bestival this year.

Highs

SO many of them its hard to pick! Hiding my ginger skin in the forest with cold pints of cider was a pretty nice moment

I say moment, it turned into hours

Met some very cool people at the food stands, in fact the only people I spoke to were at the food stands (Outside my friend group I mean...)

And to Rob in the queue on the way in, if you're out there - A very well rewarded high five for making that experience alot more enjoyable!

Lows

In relation to the cool people, there were ALOT of mean spirited people, saw alot of tent robbers, and worse than 'robbers' in some cases I have to say. Not just festival-ers either, from the word go, I saw security at the gates shouting abuse at young girls..

The queues to get in and out were beyond a joke. Worst part of the festival in my opinion.

I also came home to find out, very aggressively, that I had Norovirus. No shock really considering the lack of sinks/hand gel. I had some, but clearly wasn't enough

I'll be back this year, and will be leaving earlier, as the camps were very full by the time we made it through the queues. Oh, and we're driving, not relying on coaches again this year.

All you wonderful people make yourself known this year, would've loved to have met more nice people! :D