2013- Big Year for Soni ? Lineup next year ?

Guest Whittick

They started doing it a year or two ago Neil, pretty sure it was a free ticket to Poland soni the first year they did it, although I'm prepared to be shown I'm wrong.

Ah, OK .... but with the Spain thing this year, I saw it as trying to establish an audience at that fest, and perhaps it's only ever been that?

After all, there's nothing more sad than a festival without an audience, and success breeds success.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

festivals don't have to die off for eFestivals to die. eFestivals is only as good as its financials, and it's always a struggle to make things work.

As things stand there's no immediate problem, but things are only as good as the users make it. For example, one way that we pay the bills is via the commissions we receive from tickets bought via our links, and the amount we're making from those is significantly less than it was a few years ago - presumably because everyone now knows where the tickets agents are and go direct to them (it's not because numbers using this website have dropped off, that much I know).

Every year one of our income streams falls by quite a chunk, but luckily so far it's been made up for my an increase in another. I'm not sure how long luck will hold out with that.

Does it work if I click the link for act and then search for a gig on the site? There's a few gigs coming up I need tixs for but you don't have them listed even though the agents like Ticketline and Seetickets are selling them.

It should be the case that we have every gig from those agents listed - at least, for the 40,000 acts we have in our bands database.

Having said that, a few get lost due to the agents listing the gig under the wrong/badly-spelt bandname.

The gigs we have listed for any band can be accessed via here (as well as via other methods):-

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/bands.php

The more tickets that are bought via this site, the more secure its future is. Thanks to everyone who do buy their tickets via efests. :)

-----------------

I've got to say, 13 years into running this website, I'm surprised to still be doing it. If I'd been asked when I started if I'd still be doing it 13 years later I'd have said no.

The most pleasing thing about running it has been its soaraway success. eFests wasn't the first website about festivals (tho was the first to do things the way we do them; other sites have changed to be more like efests), and for the first couple of years another site had higher traffic. eFests has been the market leader for over ten years now, and the gap to our competitors keeps growing.

So thanks everyone. :-)

It should be the case that we have every gig from those agents listed - at least, for the 40,000 acts we have in our bands database.

Having said that, a few get lost due to the agents listing the gig under the wrong/badly-spelt bandname.

The gigs we have listed for any band can be accessed via here (as well as via other methods):-

http://www.efestival...ivals/bands.php

The more tickets that are bought via this site, the more secure its future is. Thanks to everyone who do buy their tickets via efests. :)

-----------------

I've got to say, 13 years into running this website, I'm surprised to still be doing it. If I'd been asked when I started if I'd still be doing it 13 years later I'd have said no.

The most pleasing thing about running it has been its soaraway success. eFests wasn't the first website about festivals (tho was the first to do things the way we do them; other sites have changed to be more like efests), and for the first couple of years another site had higher traffic. eFests has been the market leader for over ten years now, and the gap to our competitors keeps growing.

So thanks everyone. :-)

Quite simple really. The chain was broken this year, due to having to move the Euro side of events forward a month, whereas before the Sonisphere tour had a natural flow of one event ending and the next one starting a few days later or at the same time. This year many of the Sonisphere legs got pushed forwards without warning to May, which meant many weeks worth of gaps until the next even at the end of Jun/July.

The only way to have prevented this would have been to move Knebworth to June, which would have resulted in a much worse situation for both Download and Sonisphere.

You've got Big D & The Kids Table listed but you've only got 2 dates of their tour. They are playing at least Kingston & Camden Town aswell but I'm gonna be after Camden tixs when I sort out who's coming with me.

Something similar happened a few months ago when I got Sonic Boom 6 tixs as there was only a few dates when I knew they were playing a lot more dates on the tour. It always seems to be club sized bands as I've never had a problem finding links to the big acts on here.

I've just manually checked the two agents (See, & Ticketline) whose feeds we use, and they've only got the two dates listed between them (both on Ticketline, as it happens). It's long been in my plans to add in further feeds from other agents, but it's finding the time to do it.

You're right about there being tickets for fewer of the smaller bands. Unfortunately the smaller venues tend to have the smaller promoters, who tend to operate things in a smaller way - so often use the smaller &/or more local agents. I think some of that is due to them wanting to get their hands on the ticket money as tickets are sold, because the bigger agents won't as standard hand over the ticket money until the gig has taken place.

I've just manually checked the two agents (See, & Ticketline) whose feeds we use, and they've only got the two dates listed between them (both on Ticketline, as it happens). It's long been in my plans to add in further feeds from other agents, but it's finding the time to do it.

You're right about there being tickets for fewer of the smaller bands. Unfortunately the smaller venues tend to have the smaller promoters, who tend to operate things in a smaller way - so often use the smaller &/or more local agents. I think some of that is due to them wanting to get their hands on the ticket money as tickets are sold, because the bigger agents won't as standard hand over the ticket money until the gig has taken place.

I think I bought my Sonisphere 2009 ticket through the link on here if I recall! I'll do the same when I buy my DL ticket next week :)

Anyways a bit of newz. Hellfest organisers said a few days back at a press conference - admittedly on the day/possibly before Soni UK was canned that they don't have Maiden next year as they're at Sonisphere. Adds weight to the rumour from last December that they were already signed to do the whole tour in 2013. Obviously depending on Kili's situation/how the cancellation effects things for the future will depend on whether that'll actually happen now - but it's probably the closest thing to a Serious Rumour we'll get for the next 6 months, so there ya go :P

Great thread this.

Neil despite using this site for like 10+ years, I never knew you actually did links to gigs to buy tickets and you get some cash, thought it was just festivals. Bet there's a lot of people who aren't aware of this, you should make it common knowledge, if I hadn't read through this thread, Id have had no idea still.

I haven't used the service personally because I only ever really buy my tickets in person from Midland Box Office, because you either pay no booking fee or its much less.

Their own gigs ie in Wolverhampton, theres no booking fee, so this will win every time, gigs in Birmingham they do charge a little fee, Download this year, see tickets wanted £20 booking fee, Midland Box Office £11.75. Its a no brainer. Sorry.