2013- Big Year for Soni ? Lineup next year ?

Guest Whittick

Surely to win back the trust of its fans, Sonisphere UK will pull out a truly great lineup ? Loads of great bands could be there, thought in this thread we could discuss them.

First:-

Van Halen- Touring, surely have to be at one festival this year. Download seems more likely, but I wouldn't rule this out.

Black Sabbath- Unlikely, but depending on their Download performance they could be a big hit.

Blink 182- I hate these guys, but they would be a big hit at a Soni-type festival.

Pearl Jam- Huge band, would seriously help in ticket sales. Recording new material.

Avenged Sevenfold- Maybe not as headliners, but a truly phenomenal booking if they came.

RHCP- Unlikely with that Knebworth thing, but like PJ see would seriously help sales.

Aerosmith/AcDC- Not likely at all, but would add a good glam effect/ continue the metal theme.

Undercard:

Cypress Hill ?

Feeder ?

Alice Cooper ?

UFO ?

Billy Idol ?

Refused ?

At the Drive-In ?

Prodigy (maybe to big for undercard) ?

Limp Bizkit ?

YMA6 ?

Coheed and Cambria ?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was already a topic about 2013 & the future of soni.

first they have to get back the trust of fans, but before that they have to get 100% support from the bands because if they couldn't convince the bands that the event was 100% guaranteed to be going ahead or going to be a success, then they wouldn't be able to put on a bill that could attract people to go to the fest. as for the bands they tried to book this year, they most likely would prefer other fests where they are guaranteed not to let down fans and the event get pulled.

also its whether they can afford to bring in major bands to play, what their finances are like after this years failed event...

as for those bands you listed:

Van Halen- hardly tour outside the US, and money would be a key factor. can they really afford it if they have had to pull the fest this year (if kililive is struggling to stay afloat)

Black Sabbath- doubt it especially as they don't tour often, and are most likely on their last legs anyway.

Blink 182- "OMG NOT METULZ NOWAI COULD THEY PLAY SONI"

Pearl Jam - doubt it

Avenged Sevenfold-will headline download soon, so if they were booked, would be as headliners im guessing after subbing dl

RHCP- just kidding they're shit live

Aerosmith/AcDC- classic rock, but that didn't work this year did it? also both would likely cost a fair amount

If they do come back next year maybe they will go in a different direction and book Bombay Bicycle Club they have a song called 'Cancel On Me' or The Films could play 'Call It Off' or Cool and the Gang could do 'No Show' or last one Lilly Allen with 'Never Gonna Happen'.

This joke was brought to you by my imagination and iTunes.

I think it should return in 2014 and should return as a 2 day festival (and priced as such)

And yeah, signing up artists (especially big ones) will be difficult. And booking Maiden won't instantly mean the festival will be a success. ;)

why is everyone in love with A7X ... ive seen them 3 times for some reason and they have bored 3 times

i think they are horrific live and no amount of flame throwers can change that imo

if it was Pearl Jam / Qotsa / Tool then i would defiently be there

i cant see it happening tbh. i can see the euro sonis being minor flops this year and the brand disappearing altogether. they are bound to be making noises about next year now, just to try and salvage a bit of face over the failure this year.

they are gonna have a hell of a time convincing the public to book time off work and commit to a festival that let them down so badly this year.

move on, and let copping have free reign at an amazing lineup next year.

The brand has, essentially, been destroyed by this debacle. As has been mentioned people have been let down by this and, even if they didn't plan to buy tickets, the cancellation is very damaging to reputation.

Unlike Oxygen, Big Chill and others that have been cancelled this year they didn't bow out gracefully. They announced a half-baked festival with a poor lineup and - when it became apparent that ticket sales weren't up to scratch - were forced to cancel.

If Copping returns with a festival next year, I can't see it being called Sonisphere, or resembling it in any meaningful way.

The brand has, essentially, been destroyed by this debacle. As has been mentioned people have been let down by this and, even if they didn't plan to buy tickets, the cancellation is very damaging to reputation.

Unlike Oxygen, Big Chill and others that have been cancelled this year they didn't bow out gracefully. They announced a half-baked festival with a poor lineup and - when it became apparent that ticket sales weren't up to scratch - were forced to cancel.

If Copping returns with a festival next year, I can't see it being called Sonisphere, or resembling it in any meaningful way.

If they get the bands they'll be back. Sure they'll have a hard time re-building the brand and winning back trust, but they did well in 3 short years doing that from basically nothing so I think they can manage it.

As for bands working with them, seeing as a lot of them are starting to re-schedule gigs with Kili (a wolfmother gig on the 6th of July has just been announced - for example), and Kili are going ahead with warped tour, I can't see it being too big a disaster for them, financially or reputation wise. I think the RockSound article picked up a brilliant point when they said that the failure of soundwave in 2011 (the one that Van Halen were meant to play) was a big deal, yet they came back in 2012 with one of their strongest line ups and it was a massive success. As I've said time and time again as well, to think that Andy will start booking amazing line ups because Soni is gone is silly, because Download has had it's ups and downs before Sonisphere, and arguably 2 of their best line ups when Soni was around.

If they get the bands they'll be back. Sure they'll have a hard time re-building the brand and winning back trust, but they did well in 3 short years doing that from basically nothing so I think they can manage it.

As for bands working with them, seeing as a lot of them are starting to re-schedule gigs with Kili (a wolfmother gig on the 6th of July has just been announced - for example), and Kili are going ahead with warped tour, I can't see it being too big a disaster for them, financially or reputation wise. I think the RockSound article picked up a brilliant point when they said that the failure of soundwave in 2011 (the one that Van Halen were meant to play) was a big deal, yet they came back in 2012 with one of their strongest line ups and it was a massive success. As I've said time and time again as well, to think that Andy will start booking amazing line ups because Soni is gone is silly, because Download has had it's ups and downs before Sonisphere, and arguably 2 of their best line ups when Soni was around.

i think Sonis cancellation and the affect it's had on the brand and how artists and fans perceive the brand leaves a lot for the organisers to consider before they even look at whether they can host the festival again in a commercially viable way.

I always doubted whether there was enough of a market in the UK for 2 festivals aimed at this demographic and was surprised it took this long before something had to give. My thoughts were either soni or dl would have to go or change strategy in order to survive. And I wonder if thats the way forward for soni. Maybe a different USP or a different strategy to make it less of an economic risk for them.

Dl has had some thin years but I think it has a loyal following (some going back to MOR) and a central location as well as 9 years behind it.

Also, while bother festivals offer up bands from the same pool and serve similar purposes, Download is a brand that A LOT of people know and Soni just doesn't have that recognition yet. I wonder if this line up was served up in the future once Soni brand was better know, whether soni may have done ok.

I hope it survives :) but if they rush to bring it back, I think it could end up in the same situation. And I agree with Kipper (for once :P) Soni gave DL a bit of competition and a reason to put on acts that were going to sell tickets. And vice versa. I just wonder if there are 6 headline acts that can be drawn to 2 uk festivals every year.

I hope it survives :) but if they rush to bring it back, I think it could end up in the same situation. And I agree with Kipper (for once :P) Soni gave DL a bit of competition and a reason to put on acts that were going to sell tickets. And vice versa. I just wonder if there are 6 headline acts that can be drawn to 2 uk festivals every year.

i cant see it happening tbh. i can see the euro sonis being minor flops this year and the brand disappearing altogether. they are bound to be making noises about next year now, just to try and salvage a bit of face over the failure this year.

they are gonna have a hell of a time convincing the public to book time off work and commit to a festival that let them down so badly this year.

move on, and let copping have free reign at an amazing lineup next year.

Of course you can't see it happening and think Sonisphere is destined to fail. Nice to see another biased post from you, whereby Download is the best festival in the world and everything else is crap.

The remaining Sonisphere legs are selling well.

At this point in time, they are affectively ahead of the competition due to having longer to prepare, they are already re-scheduling shows for bands, so won't lose money or relations there.

Lady Lytton has already stated that plans for next year are on track and already looking exciting.

From what we know, they already have 1 headliner in the bag and it just so happens to be one that Download want.

Even when Sonisphere didn't exist, Download struggled, so having a free hand isn't going to change anything.