2013- Big Year for Soni ? Lineup next year ?

Guest Whittick

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah at this stage I think it's too early to say either way - which is probably why Kili themselves haven't come out and confirmed it or denied it themselves. As I said, it'll be all about the bands and whether they can get an announcement out in good time in whether they try to make a comeback. As per the same source that leaked QUEEN and FNM away back last early December though, Maiden were apparently already signed on to do the tour in 2013 - so it's probable they have been working on 2013 way before 2012's line up was even done... with rumours - and to be honest pretty clear evidence that the touring headliner for this year dropped out (most likely KISS) is why a bunch of the EU ones were canned although they were never officially announced to be happening anyway. But with the messing up of getting a touring headliner this Summer I'm guessing they probably wanted to secure someone for 2013 as early as possible to avoid it happening again.

With KISS moving their EU tour to 2013 a few months back anyways, it's possible Soni might have tried to get both - especially for the EU dates that are two day affairs, KISS are still massive in Europe afterall so that'd be a pair of strong headliners. Dunno if they'd risk KISS again for the UK though with Maiden. Considering how well KISS went down this year - though admittedly they weren't really the subject of most complaints...

I just think the organisers need to assess where it all went wrong and figure out how to safeguard against it happening again. Also, i think it would be arrogant and insensative to announce 2013 so soon to the cancellation.

I saw the lady from knebworth confirming plans for next year but it was in an article where it said knebworth needed money and soni being cancelled had left a hole in their financial projections and the maintenance needed. So I would expect her to be saying it's going ahead even if it wasn't. ;)

I don't think even getting decent headliners would be enough imo, I would of put up with this year if the undercard was any good.

I reckon based on Neil saying there's more to it could a LiveNation (or some else) take over be on the cards? A lot of the seniors have just left Kili.

I think a7x are hyped too much, especialy when copping saying their the next new headliners. I like their music and listen to them alot, and i know new headliners need to rise because of the lack of original/new ones being booked but have they even sold out an arena tour here yet?

I caught them at GMM last year, and not only did they play in the middle of the day but there is alot of backtracks/backing vocals that are not live and tbh i dont think they are headline material. I just think they been hyped by copping for a couple of years so when the day comes it will look like they deserve it and "you saw it at dl first".

Also Bfmv at GMM..middle of the day in a tent. They are better live tho.

I think a7x are hyped too much, especialy when copping saying their the next new headliners. I like their music and listen to them alot, and i know new headliners need to rise because of the lack of original/new ones being booked but have they even sold out an arena tour here yet?

I caught them at GMM last year, and not only did they play in the middle of the day but there is alot of backtracks/backing vocals that are not live and tbh i dont think they are headline material. I just think they been hyped by copping for a couple of years so when the day comes it will look like they deserve it and "you saw it at dl first".

Of course you can't see it happening and think Sonisphere is destined to fail. Nice to see another biased post from you, whereby Download is the best festival in the world and everything else is crap.

Edited by t8yman

truth hurts huh?

at least my bias is based on rationality rather than blind loyalty to some corporation that doesnt care about you or I or any of their customers

soni fucked it this year as we all know.

download has a great lineup and will likely sell out this year.

which is the better festival again?

download was a shite festie last year imho, i did see some greast sets, but the bill was nowhere near as good as sonis, i enjoyed soni (and i only went on the sunday) far more.

i get accused of bias a lot, but if download is unappealing, i will say it is. but on the whole i prefer the site, the campsites (even though both are nothing to write home about), the "clashes = choice" , and the whole atmosphere of download better.

nobody was more vocal last year when copping booked def leppard again than me. yet I think download is awesome and everything else is shit?

soni had a couple of good years, but seriously misjudged their target market, and fecked it up (among other factors obviously) and it doesnt matter how many people claim otherwise - the vast majority of comments and posts on the web, and on the radio have been "shit lineup". a lot of people said there were only about 3 bands they wanted to see. refused, ATDI, FNM and Mastodon were all popular - not much else was really.

download was a shite festie last year imho, i did see some greast sets, but the bill was nowhere near as good as sonis, i enjoyed soni (and i only went on the sunday) far more.

i get accused of bias a lot, but if download is unappealing, i will say it is. but on the whole i prefer the site, the campsites (even though both are nothing to write home about), the "clashes = choice" , and the whole atmosphere of download better.

nobody was more vocal last year when copping booked def leppard again than me. yet I think download is awesome and everything else is shit?

soni had a couple of good years, but seriously misjudged their target market, and fecked it up (among other factors obviously) and it doesnt matter how many people claim otherwise - the vast majority of comments and posts on the web, and on the radio have been "shit lineup". a lot of people said there were only about 3 bands they wanted to see. refused, ATDI, FNM and Mastodon were all popular - not much else was really.

In a way though, last year many believed Download fucked up compared to Soni - who did have the better lineup, the award for lineup of the year proved it.

Download wins this year yes - IMHO, I kinda think that it's Download 10th Anniversary and loads of bands wanting to be apart of that, that has killed it for Soni maybe?

In a way though, last year many believed Download fucked up compared to Soni - who did have the better lineup, the award for lineup of the year proved it.

Download wins this year yes - IMHO, I kinda think that it's Download 10th Anniversary and loads of bands wanting to be apart of that, that has killed it for Soni maybe?

No, even with the piss poor line up last year Download still sold more tixs than Soni. Something that proves a huge problem at Soni is if you don't like the acts on there's no substantial alternative so a poor line up is far more damaging to Soni than it is to Download because of how it's set up so it's not case of my line up is better than your line up.

it is, but a general all round view of rock i think you have to look at. that's a bit like saying you don't like hard rock or heavy music so download lineup is shit. i'm not a huge fan of metal but i appreciate if you are, download is spot on this year, just like soni got it spot on judging by many last year.

i think 2010 leeds got it overall spot on, some high places like but yano lol, whereas i don't think soni did but for that type of fest it was