Bestival 2012 Headliners

Guest Paul ™

I reckon it will be The Beach Boys. By looking at their tour dates it looks like there is a good chance that they'll be touring the UK in September. With already announced European dates at the end of July and August and a tour of Japan in the middle of August you'd reckon that they would probably come back to Europe at the end of that tour to do UK and other European dates. A legendary act and Brian Wilson did play last year so RDB looks to be a fan.

An issue that could stop it been them is the cost that they would probably be to book. But New Order were probably a fairly cheap headliner and someone like Bloc Party isn't really going to break the bank. He may have decided that they are worth it.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I mentioned this somewhere earlier on this thread, but I have just double checked and every year since Bestival started the headlines have always included at least one dance act:

The Bees

Basement Jaxx

Zero 7

The Magic Numbers

Röyksopp

Super Furry Animals

Gogol Bordello

Pet Shop Boys

Scissor Sisters

The Chemical Brothers

Beastie Boys

Primal Scream

My Bloody Valentine

Amy Winehouse

Underworld

Massive Attack

Kraftwerk

Elbow

Dizzee Rascal

The Flaming Lips

The Prodigy

Pendulum

The Cure

Bjork

It maybe worth noting that:

Pendulum subbed in 2008 headlined in 2010

Chase & Status subbed in 2010 headline in 2012?

Failing that other dance acts big enough and have not headlined before, in no particular order:

Deadmau5

Moby

Leftfield

Depeche Mode

All a bit retro not that I would be complaining you understand, but with that in mind Deadmau5 would be the most likely.

I think I mentioned this somewhere earlier on this thread, but I have just double checked and every year since Bestival started the headlines have always included at least one dance act:

The Bees

Basement Jaxx

Zero 7

The Magic Numbers

Röyksopp

Super Furry Animals

Gogol Bordello

Pet Shop Boys

Scissor Sisters

The Chemical Brothers

Beastie Boys

Primal Scream

My Bloody Valentine

Amy Winehouse

Underworld

Massive Attack

Kraftwerk

Elbow

Dizzee Rascal

The Flaming Lips

The Prodigy

Pendulum

The Cure

Bjork

It maybe worth noting that:

Pendulum subbed in 2008 headlined in 2010

Chase & Status subbed in 2010 headline in 2012?

Failing that other dance acts big enough and have not headlined before, in no particular order:

Deadmau5

Moby

Leftfield

Depeche Mode

All a bit retro not that I would be complaining you understand, but with that in mind Deadmau5 would be the most likely.

Just looking at the Reading + Leeds article on efests and its worth noting that Florence + The Machine is the only act out of all the headliners/subs that isn't described as some kind of exclusive.

Be afraid!

You should be. :P

I'll be very surprised if she's not the Bestival headliner that Rob is having to hold back until May before announcing.

There, I've said it. :D

I've no specific info for that, but that sort of restrictive clause in a band's contract is a very Melvin thing to do. The only other possibility I can see for screeching Flo is that she's one of the Hop Farm headliners but I don't see her as a Hop Farm act.

Beach Boys isn't a bad shout.

I'd never really been a fan, but I have to say that Brian Wilson was a real high point of the festival last year. So much fun - everybody in the crowd was well up for it, sunny afternoon etc.

That said, I'm not sure how they would go down at 11pm on a Saturday night on the main stage...

Is it bad that I'd be disappointed if Beach Boys were announced? Amazingly influential band, but if they all can't move like Brian Wilson, it'd be pretty sad.

Brian Wilson, or his band were excellent though.

And looks as though Florence could be the headliner then.... dammit. Hopefully something great is in the big top at the same time.

You should be. :P

I'll be very surprised if she's not the Bestival headliner that Rob is having to hold back until May before announcing.

There, I've said it. :D

I've no specific info for that, but that sort of restrictive clause in a band's contract is a very Melvin thing to do. The only other possibility I can see for screeching Flo is that she's one of the Hop Farm headliners but I don't see her as a Hop Farm act.

Is she the one you were waiting to say until after some sort of announcement later in the year? Or are you just speculating?

yeah, she's the act I wouldn't name, but had said I had a fair idea about who it might be.

I was waiting to see if she was going to be a Reading/Leeds exclusive or not - I was pretty sure she wasn't going to be but didn't know that for sure until last night.

As I said in the post above, the "can't announce till May" thing sounds very much like a Melvin Benn restrictive clause in a band's contract, and now I've seen all the major bands that R/L have I can't see which other act it could be aside from Flo.

She's definitely got something else UK on the cards, and there's very little left that she could be announced for. There's Bestival, there's Hop Farm, and then I guess there's the possibility of one of the Olympics shows ... but the "can't announce till May" from Bestival strongly implies to me that it's Bestival that she's doing.

yeah, she's the act I wouldn't name, but had said I had a fair idea about who it might be.

I was waiting to see if she was going to be a Reading/Leeds exclusive or not - I was pretty sure she wasn't going to be but didn't know that for sure until last night.

As I said in the post above, the "can't announce till May" thing sounds very much like a Melvin Benn restrictive clause in a band's contract, and now I've seen all the major bands that R/L have I can't see which other act it could be aside from Flo.

She's definitely got something else UK on the cards, and there's very little left that she could be announced for. There's Bestival, there's Hop Farm, and then I guess there's the possibility of one of the Olympics shows ... but the "can't announce till May" from Bestival strongly implies to me that it's Bestival that she's doing.

There's also The Big Top, the Psychedelic Worm, the Black Dahlia Tent, the Sailor Jerry's stage, Red Bull Academy, Bollywood, Roller Disco, Ambient Forest, Bandstand, Swamp Shack, Cabaret tent... few others too.

Florence can be ignored and overall she's not that important to the grand scheme of things.

Fear not!! Shes played before!! I saw her screaming with my own eyes! (Mind that was the year the fratelli's headlined, they seem to have gone in a different direction since having to give out tickets with a rain mac for that weekend! But we can ignore this little fact).

i am convinced for Bloc Party as the headliner and Chase & Status as dance headliner :P (Both would be strange after Sigur Rós though...)