An adult conversation about drugs?!

Guest lifelessfool

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't a couple of the problems the belief that "I'll be able to handle it" and also the view of many young people that they're virtually indestructible? As you get older and start going to a few more funerals you become much more aware of your own mortality.

Yeah like that daft Darwin-bait bint who woke up naked at Tesco having double dropped blue furies.

Saw an interview with her. She dropped the second before first had kicked in and then drank a bottle of vodka. AND THEN ALL MY CLOTHES FELL OFF AND THEN I WOKE UP AT TESCO WITH THE POLICE TALKING TO ME (spoken in a voice eerily reminiscent of an underachieving five year old boy).

I think she said she was something like a nail and eyebrow technician therapist or something.

It was based around the ex squaddie and the swathing assumptions they made on air about the effect on other military men. I do question his own honesty, but rather than discuss his motivations before hand it was just accepted that soldiers would resist the process. Given that this is supposed to be "scientific" and something the powers that be will point to, I would have thought they would have given more thought to their comments.

I find it's more that people are just incredibly uneducated on drugs. We live in a culture, especially among youth, that you drink drink drink until you vomit and pass out. That's our drinking culture and because we all do, and a week later are fine, we think it's okay.

Thing is obviously when you start doing that with other drugs, it gets messy. People simply have never been told that it doesn't work like that, and that you'll enjoy pretty much any drug a lot more in moderation - especially if you've never taken it before.

IMO it's definitely not the arrogance of youth as you see it but simply ignorance. They've spent 5 years or more drinking alcohol in one way, why would any other drug be different?

Thought the MDMA show on channel 4 was alright too, wish I could find time to read more up on the actual science. It is simply an incredibly hard thing to measure, as is the case with nearly any biology - not to mension neuroscience. Thought it was fascinating when they talked about the drug having effects on the part of the brain that is believed to be active for when a parent grows attatched to their child.

I got into a lot of trouble with the social services for giving that exact same advice to my son. I had not experienced drugs at that time but I had a number of very sensible friends who offered me sound advice. At the time I could have gone along the 'drugs are bad' route but I am a pragmatist and this is Manchester after all. ;-)

rufus I think you had a bad deal from social services - once they've got something in their heads, they interpret everything you do to fit in with their little theories (as do we all - the expectancy effect/self fulfilling prophecy).

i know they have a difficult job, but I bet half of them have given exactly the same advice to their own kids, it's far better than a zero tolerance stance, because kids won't have you to turn to if something goes wrong. And kids will do what they want - and decide how much to tell you based on your attitude.

Or put in better words, there's no need for worm's bullshit.

There's no vendetta here. I'll always challenge bullshit, and I know beyond all doubt that a huge amount of bullshit gets posted here by worm.

For example, right here in this thread.

He's said he was commissioned by the govt to write warped research about drugs.

Very quietly (and while not expliticly admitting it) he's had to admit that what he said didn't happen. He was not commissioned by the govt to write that warped research.

Read back and read carefully, and you can see him backing down from what he initially claimed.

(and if you're not reading that carefully, you'd get nothing worthwhile from worm anyway even if manages the occasional bit of truth).

Edited by eFestivals

So you're just making stuff up now and stealing my lines.

Very weird personal vendetta bordering on envy, I'd say.

A person who is commissioned to do something knows who their client is and cashes the cheque from that client.

It's also the case that the client knows the name of the person they commission.

You're some sort of weird fucking saddo.

Edited by eFestivals

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19785041

This is my local force, it should be interesting to see if (in the long term after analysis) this correlates to the view that a large proportion of burglary is carried out by users of class A drugs. My own area of town has seen a big increase in bagheads in the last 3-5 years, a pattern that has spread out from it's previous home on the other side of town.

Heroin and cocaine use have increased dramatically in the last decade in my part of the world, from a town which it used to be hard to buy weed in 20 years ago. It makes me wonder what the pattern is like across the rest of the nation(s),