The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

laughable.

It's tokenism, designed only to give suckers like you yet another reason to claim scottish exceptionalism.

Do something exceptional with your tax regime and I'll happily recognise that exceptional Scotland. :)

Laughable ? Fair enough.

Its a small step in the right direction. Hopefully they can take the region with them and pick up the pace. Council tax and income tax both up now for many of us. Intersting to see how results hold up. Increasing tax is a bold direction of travel. The Snp are ahead of the game in my view.

we need more folk in the door now to increase the tax take.

4 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

Attitudes to immigration are clearly different. 

Nope, the base attitudes are not.

As proven by: the SNP is in favour of immigration and so are UKIP.

Bit inconvenient that, isn't it?

The difference is the SNP wants more immigration because Scotland has so little, and UKIP wants less immigration because England has so much.

England has a faster rate of immigration than was too much for Germany. You know, that nice lovely Germany you so desperately want to be like.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nope. Willy waving about about "my area is better than your area" is what you did, and it's what I did too.

If you can pick and chose the bits that do count and the bits that don't, so can I. If it's valid for you it's valid for me. :rolleyes:

Nothing at all. It's a trait they share with UKIP, the tories, Labour, the LibDems, the Greens, etc, etc.

Just about everyone in fact - except the BNP, and quite a number of Scottish Protestants too who like to dress in Orange, only seen in England where... there's lots of Scots.

there was no eu results up there. :rolleyes:

It was a whole-UK vote, and a whole UK-vote that Scotland voted in favour of it being.

To be fair, I don’t think many of the orange lot vote for the Snp. They are very much rule Brittania I gather.

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It’s tempting at the moment, the weather looks more to my liking!

It’s most unusual :-)

I spent last week round about the Lake District and it was unusually dry there as well. Worlds going mad.

Couple of pubs round here advertising that they will be showing the football in the beer garden today. Will need to head down, just for the novelty !

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

anyway, got to back out now, as I've got stuff to do before I go to England's 2nd biggest celebration of multiculturalism.

Oh, that's also the UK's 2nd biggest celebration of multiculturalism. I wonder why immigrant-loving Scotland is so far down that list of multicultural celebrations?

Enjoy mate. 

Will do you good to get out of your bedroom and away from those daily mail comments pages ;-)

4 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

It’s most unusual ?

I spent last week round about the Lake District and it was unusually dry there as well. Worlds going mad.

Couple of pubs round here advertising that they will be showing the football in the beer garden today. Will need to head down, just for the novelty !

My mother in law says it’s on average 10 degrees cooler in the highlands at present. Much more to my liking!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 1:16 PM, eFestivals said:

With the EU the UK didn't say "we'll negotiate you down from what we're obliged to pay for". The UK said "we'll happily pay what we owe".

Really, Neil?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/21/dominic-raab-britainwill-refuse-pay-39-billion-divorce-bill/

Dominic Raab: Britain will refuse to pay £39 billion divorce bill to Brussels if the EU fails to agree trade deal

1 minute ago, LJS said:

Really, Neil?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/21/dominic-raab-britainwill-refuse-pay-39-billion-divorce-bill/

Dominic Raab: Britain will refuse to pay £39 billion divorce bill to Brussels if the EU fails to agree trade deal

PMSL. :lol:

So the SNP are c**ts like the worst of the tories.

I'm very happy for you, now go off and celebrate how you're so much better. :)

• 1 month later...

Good to see Scottish onshore revenue jump by a further £2bn according to today's GERS figures.

Neil's pal Kevin has spared us his normal barrage of blog posts limiting himself to a meagre 7 tweets all of which are presented in a way which, to the casual observer look as if there is no such increase.

Lies, damn lies & Kevin's graphs eh?

The first GERS day for a while without Neil & Russy drooling at the prospect of Scotland shutting down the NHS & moving into caves.

7 hours ago, LJS said:

Lies, damn lies & Kevin's graphs eh?

The first GERS day for a while without Neil & Russy drooling at the prospect of Scotland shutting down the NHS & moving into caves.

all we've ever done is point out the lies and deceptions of the SNP and their light-thinking fan-club.

(you remember, the stuff you used to deny but eventually couldn't do stupid any longer and owned up to :) )

I was thinking there wouldn't be any this year, but they start straight away with the SNP comparing 2017-18 with 2015-16 and hoping no one will notice how-come the increases look particularly good.

Or is that just a typo? I doubt it, but can't be bothered to check. If it's correct then Kev is correct and you can't read properly and got mugged by the SNP's lies, again. :P

(right now the SG's GERS page says "Non-North Sea revenue increased from £56.6 billion in 2015-16, an increase of 3.6%." - which I'm noting here just in case it does later get changed).

---

Scotland doesn't collect the UK average revenue; Scotland spends waaaay more than the UK average spend - which is the same problem as ever.  Correcting that with tax rises or spending cuts would still make tory austerity look like a spending spree.

Edited by eFestivals

8 hours ago, zahidf said:

Well he's accused of sexual assault and he is suing the Scottish govt for failure of procedure 

yeah i know, that's what I was joking about.

And I was joking. Despite my different political views to Salmond, I'm finding it hard to believe there's going to be very much to this. I'm thinking there might be some 'heritage inappropriateness' but nothing that goes as far as what most people would be referencing by saying 'sexual assault'.

Having said that, I've heard a report since that suggests Salmond told provable porkies to the SG's inquiry, so who knows? I guess the truth will come out via the police as it's now with them.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

yeah i know, that's what I was joking about.

And I was joking. Despite my different political views to Salmond, I'm finding it hard to believe there's going to be very much to this. I'm thinking there might be some 'heritage inappropriateness' but nothing that goes as far as what most people would be referencing by saying 'sexual assault'.

Having said that, I've heard a report since that suggests Salmond told provable porkies to the SG's inquiry, so who knows? I guess the truth will come out via the police as it's now with them.

I think when it comes to sexual assault, we just need too see what the police say. They've kept the details of the allegations out of the press which is a good idea! I'm not sure him suing the govt is a great idea though 

On 8/25/2018 at 9:28 AM, zahidf said:

I think when it comes to sexual assault, we just need too see what the police say. They've kept the details of the allegations out of the press which is a good idea! I'm not sure him suing the govt is a great idea though 

Im amazed so many people are happy to pay his legal bills, can't help thinking there are people who need it more. However if they want to hand over their money it's up to them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2015 at 8:43 AM, russycarps said:

here's some happy news for the raving nationalists

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/11/10/iea-oil-idUKL8N13438120151110

oil prices likely to stay close to $50bbl until 2020, and wont return to $85bbl until 2040. "Lower for longer" is the new mantra."

Funny how we never hear from Russy, our resident oil expert these days.

"In the first half of 2018 the price of Brent Crude oil averaged more than $70 a barrel."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-45495576

it's a tricky business predicting the future.

45 minutes ago, LJS said:

Funny how we never hear from Russy, our resident oil expert these days.

"In the first half of 2018 the price of Brent Crude oil averaged more than $70 a barrel."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-45495576

it's a tricky business predicting the future.

it is indeed.

With oil still at only $70 a barrel, a 2014-indy Scotland would be ravaged with cuts that would make tory cuts look like a spending party.

Some people mentioned it. Some people said it didn't matter, and anyway Salmond was perfeck so his numbers couldn't be wrong.

Right about now you'd probably be selling your grandchildren into slavery. :P

Edited by eFestivals

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it is indeed.

With oil still at only $70 a barrel, a 2014-indy Scotland would be ravaged with cuts that would make tory cuts look like a spending party.

Some people mentioned it. Some people said it didn't matter, and anyway Salmond was perfeck so his numbers couldn't be wrong.

Right about now you'd probably be selling your grandchildren into slavery. :P

Good restraint there Neil, no mention of caves or shutting down the NHS.

16 minutes ago, LJS said:

Good restraint there Neil, no mention of caves or shutting down the NHS.

I know, I really should have driven your point home better than I did.

After all, when you're trying to willy-wave about half-price of Salmond's claimed price as some sort of moral victory, you're showing Farage up as intelligent compared to your version of nationalist nutters.

Edited by eFestivals