Latitude 2011

Gingerbond

hi glasto worker, sorry to have caused you such offence to my reply to the girl with 17 year old friends. only second day on efestivals,and after reading your very articulate reply, guess i need to polish up on my writing skills so as not to cause any offence! would never mean suggest that 12 year olds should drink because they have adult wristbands,dont let my own kids drink cola!meant to answer her question as best i could, honestly think it is very hard to take drinks through main entrance, though wont be checked in camping area--and a seveenteen year old will have an over 12 wristband. hope this is put better!!

Don't be daft - you did not cause me any offence - I was replying to a previous post and when I hit review I had spotted your comment which was in fact confirming what I had just written in the post.

What is true is that the system is not working and I have mentioned it to the organisers in previous years as if it was correctly implemented it would actually cut down bar queues { although Latitude is not all that bad for queues }

We have run tests with barriers and security guards who will check ID while people are in the queue but it takes up a lot of space but this does appear to work as I know teenager's will try to hit a bar when its busy and they will hunt out the youngest to serve them but of course with a barrier system this allows them more time to be checked.

------------

As for getting though the gates I enter via a crew entry point and even on that gate there was a security guard who was pulling up Bar crew for carrying in bottles of Coke until I ran into him to explain that bar staff don't need to smuggle in any alcohol - I called over a supervisor and he explained that the guard had been moved from the public access area and had not been updated as to which gate he was guarding - anyway it was all sorted out.

I work at many events and at some there is a bar on any water bottles being handed over from the bar with the top on but at others there is no restriction { its apparently to do with water bottles being used as missiles that some bands put in their rider }

Even at the same venue restrictions can vary from day to day - anyone who has been to many Hyde Park events will already know that they are not allowed to take in alcohol except for Proms in the Park where its possible to carry in Food and drink hampers { including glass bottles of Champagne or whatever } so clearly if its a up market event rules go out the window.

Checking ID is a hassle but it is something we cant do anything about - sure years ago bar staff may have been willing to turn a blind eye but these days only a fool would do that because we are under scrutiny all the time so we just cant risk it.

Yeah dont take glass.

The only issue I potentially see is that they issues different wristbands, over and under 18s. If they did get asked for ID when going in then they wouldn't be able to buy (alcohol obv) from the bars during the weekend.

I have no idea if they are very strict though. You could well be fine.

Yeah, I know that they won't be able to buy once in, but going through I was just wondering. I mean it wont be that much alcohol, and it won't be in glass so I think they may let anyone in to the campsite with it, just not into the arena.

hi, responding to your alcohol question. you will have no problems in the camping area so long as you have no glass, but when you enter main arena security go through all your bags, quite tricky to get drinks in. they even take bottles of soft drinks off you if they have been opened!you will have to think of somewhere else to hide your cans! if you were over twelve last year, you were given an adult wristband, hope this helps.

Even if they are 17? I'm not going to take any into the arena, and I thought there was a kids wristband, and a under 18/over 18. But going through where they check bags, you don't have a wristband on so it should be ok I guess.

Thanks, I think my friends will be find going through security, just not going to try into the arena. I've heard many festivals don't bother confiscating under age drinkers, that is going to camp, as they aren't exactly 5 years under or something like that.

Thanks for your help.

I've heard many festivals don't bother confiscating under age drinkers, that is going to camp, as they aren't exactly 5 years under or something like that.

Under the powers of a events license the Council can if they so wish ' block ' everyone of any age from taking in alcohol anywhere at the event { including the campsite }

See postings at

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=155682&st=40

Up to now this has been a grey area but if say a event gets a reputation of young teenagers rampaging though a campsite the local Council can put the block on { which did in fact happen at Reading 2010 when Adult campers were prevented from bringing in drink after a certain time on the Sunday }.

So while its true that at most events there was not many restrictions as far as camping is concerned this may change in the future.

Due to what happened at Latitude last year I reckon they will be watching and if there is further trouble its likely this will affect future events.

Under the powers of a events license the Council can if they so wish ' block ' everyone of any age from taking in alcohol anywhere at the event { including the campsite }

See postings at

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=155682&st=40

Up to now this has been a grey area but if say a event gets a reputation of young teenagers rampaging though a campsite the local Council can put the block on { which did in fact happen at Reading 2010 when Adult campers were prevented from bringing in drink after a certain time on the Sunday }.

So while its true that at most events there was not many restrictions as far as camping is concerned this may change in the future.

Due to what happened at Latitude last year I reckon they will be watching and if there is further trouble its likely this will affect future events.

Thanks a lot for this post, really knowledgeable. Thanks!

Now just waiting for a leak of the lineup!

Thanks a lot for this post, really knowledgeable. Thanks!

Now just waiting for a leak of the lineup!

I could get the lineup as I am friends with the landowner except I would imagine he is busy just now and I just would not hassle him as he has better things to do with his time .

I really don't notice who is in the lineup until I get there as that is when I know what shifts I will be working

see this for latest news

http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/2011/news/general/bigger_and_better_than_ever#latest_news

I could get the lineup as I am friends with the landowner except I would imagine he is busy just now and I just would not hassle him as he has better things to do with his time .

I really don't notice who is in the lineup until I get there as that is when I know what shifts I will be working

see this for latest news

http://www.latitudefestival.co.uk/2011/news/general/bigger_and_better_than_ever#latest_news

Thanks, I am a regular on the official forums too, so I keep up with the news. It would be nice for someone to find out somehow, but it doesn't really matter, only 3 days now.

Absolute radio website leak apparently

Absolute Radio had this on thier website for a while.

2011 will see the festival headlined by The National, Paolo Nutini, Suede and Foals.

Also on the line-up are Anna Calvi, Avi Buffalo, The Bees, Bellowhead, Bright Eyes, British Sea Power, Caitlin Rose, Caribou, Chapel Club, Crocodiles, Crystal Fighters, C.W. Stoneking, Deerhunter, The Duke And The King, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Edwyn Collins, Esben and the Witch, Everything Everything, Fight Like Apes, Foster The People, Glasser, Gold Panda, Graffiti 6, Hurts, I Am Kloot, KT Tunstall, Jenny and Johnny, Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan, Kele, The Leisure Society, Lloyd Cole, Marques Toliver, My Morning Jacket, The Naked and The Famous, OMD, Paloma Faith, Phidel, Rumer, Thea Gilmore, Tripwires, Trophy Wife, The Vaccines, Villagers, Violens, Wanda Jackson, The Waterboys and Yann Tiersen.

If this is true, as somebody else put it, I feel really uninspired. Of the four supposed headliners, only one really warrants it, the other three could quite easily slot in two, three, or even four down. It would be extremely strange considering there are plenty of headline sized acts about that could feasibly have played; Elbow, PJ Harvey, Bjork, Flaming Lips etc. The National would be strange considering they headlined the 2nd stage last year- has it ever been known for a festival to bump a second stage headliner to a main stage on in the space of a year? It also seems only one person actually saw this 'announcement' on the Absolute site, so could this be an elaborate hoax? But if so, why bother removing it from the forum? I for one, am fairly worried...perhaps that's a good chunk of the lineup, but in fact the ones supposedly 'headlining' are not, or am I clutching at straws here?

Suede and Paolo ( though i don't like him) are big enough to headline.

The National is a tougher one, but they do sometimes have a smaller headliner, and i think they could pull it off. They did sell out 3 nights at brixton after all.

Elbow are playing reading which is announced next monday, so that would have imapcted sales of latitude. PJ Harvey isn't much bigger than National. Bjork probably isn't touring till end of the year. Flaming Lips would be good but obviously not this year!

There's a few great acts there but they're all of way too similar a vein. It just seems like they've booked any act that have released a debut album that's had mild attention within the usual P4K-esque circles.

Very solid, if that's your thing though. Bar Foals.

The National are definitely big enough, they've become extremely big over the past 12 months.

Edited by Porcelina

There's a few great acts there but they're all of way too similar a vein. It just seems like they've booked any act that have released a debut album that's had mild attention within the usual P4K-esque circles.

Very solid, if that's your thing though. Bar Foals.

The National are definitely big enough, they've become extremely big over the past 12 months.

They have? They've got acclaim, but as far as being commercially big enough to headline a festival that is charging £177 a ticket? Not so much. The main thing that winds me up about them however is that they have played Latitude twice before, and last year headlined the Word Arena. Since then, they haven't released any new material, so essentially they will probably be playing near enough the same headline set they played last year, just on a different stage. It's a worrying lack of imagination/ambition on Festival Republic's part.