! We`ve jumped into bed with the Frogs!

Guest gratedenini

Eeee lad... me Dad would turn in his grave! (well, blow around in his little casket thing).

We gonna join forces with a nation we`ve traditionally mostly mis-trusted.

Why? MONEY!!

Whilst it might make some sense in terms of both nations being a bit strapped for cash etc.... it could lead to a lot of trouble.

Hells Flame... we`ve fell out over Apples, Meat, Petrol..we`ve never really been what you`d call closest allies have we?

I suppose this is a sign of the times... but all i see is yet another dilution of this country in the eyes of the World.

So what maybe?

But, its a bit worrying to me.

den

dilution of this country...?

why, because we're able to stop seeing our neighbours as enemies

I'd have thought that was a rather laudable aim

I remember when the French and German governments chose not to go to war with Iraq, and they were called cowards. I think the uk government were the cowards for not standing up to America

No condemnation of the racism in the thread title, tony? Why not? It's far worse than a single individual being called ginger, and where people think being ginger makes a person substandard somehow.

Anyone might end up thinking there's some double standards going on somewhere. :lol:

Hey Den, wasn't it the fine people of Hartelepool who once hung a monkey because they thought it was a French spy?

I was taking a bit more of a long term historic view. It is taking away our capabilities on a somewhat independent basis.

but we've not had an independent basis ever since others also got guns, and that's only going to become more the case as time goes by.

While it's not being said, this move is a recognition of the fact the UK is no longer a world power. Shame it's 60 years later than it should have been. ;)

Just saying, whilst it probably is the right decision in the current climate, the French have always been a bit volatile, and I wouldn`t have thought they would be the most ideal of bedfellows.

I'm sure they think as highly of us. ;)

If calling the french Frogs is racist..then logically, I`m guilty.

But thats PC in all its glory afaic.

What gets me is that when other countries use their colloquisms to describe us... it seems acceptable.

Frogs is ok surely? Aussie? Kiwi? Yank? etc

What isn`t acceptable imo...and by a huge margin is The P Word I hate that... and couldn`t bring myself to use it in any way or form.

However, when you think of it... just why has that became so offensive?

I suppose it stems from the 70s when racial tension began to heighten.

I personally, am not one of the people you mention as I dont have the stupid feelings towards the French that some have.

den

Its an abbreviation of the countrys name

I posted what I did earlier to point out a few double standards going on around here (not with you). :P

If i'd have really had a problem with it, I'd have done something with the thread &/or contacted you. I've let it go because I view it much the same as you do.

It is, however, sometimes used as a derogatory term, and therefore can be racist. But mostly it's used just as a reference to the French, and when most people hear it used for the French they take it as meaning simply 'French' and not 'those horrible/whatever French'.

Why on earth would we not have a problem with the Germans?

I'm always amused by the fact that the English (if not the Scots - don't know about them) seem to have a greater national dislike of France than it does Germany who we've fought the two most recent major wars with.

I'd guess it's a combination of English culture being closer to German culture than it is French culture (I guess that's the Saxon thing), plus France being the traditional historic enemy of England due only to the geography.

Dalliance. Oil. French selling Exocets to Argentina. Is this not ringing any bells in the FO?

UK selling Iraq weapons?

(And the French :P).

UK selling lots of evil dictators around the world weapons?

Best of all is the UK building up the weapons of both sides of the world's nuclear trigger point - India & Pakistan.

When it comes to selling arms to w*nkers, the UK blows (:P) the French out of the water.

Nope, I don't think it is (as I've explained in an earlier post in this thread).

I was flagging up some big double-standards by some, that's all. :)