So it's U2- Fri, Prince- Sunday...

Guest cheekycheeky

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe there is any debate about Prince's 'Mega Status', UK fame or suitability as a Glastonbury headliner. Sure, the quality of his work for the past 20yrs pales compared to the 15years that preceeded it but you can (arguably) say the same of the Stones, Stevie & Bruce.

In my humble opinion, between 1978-1991 Prince produced consistently brilliant, innovative and interesting music - and live shows to match. His star might have waned since but his raw talent and live performances are still to be treasured and marvelled at and he DOES have the back catalogue to back it all up. I just hope the rumours are true, as he would set the Pyramid stage on fire.

Here are are a few 'Wiki' facts to help back up his case for a headling slot:

Prince has won seven Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe, and an Academy Award. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004 - the first possible year he was eligible. In the same year Rolling Stone ranked Prince #28 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

Prince has sold over 100 million records worldwide including over 10 million records in the United Kingdom. He has had 44 singles in the UK top 40, 18 of which were in the top 10, and 13 Top 10 albums.

He also wrote the hits 'Nothing Compare 2 U' (Sinead O'Connor), 'I feel For You'(Chaka Khan) & 'Manic Monday' (The Bangles).

I can't believe there is any debate about Prince's 'Mega Status', UK fame or suitability as a Glastonbury headliner. Sure, the quality of his work for the past 20yrs pales compared to the 15years that preceeded it but you can (arguably) say the same of the Stones, Stevie & Bruce.

In my humble opinion, between 1978-1991 Prince produced consistently brilliant, innovative and interesting music - and live shows to match. His star might have waned since but his raw talent and live performances are still to be treasured and marvelled at and he DOES have the back catalogue to back it all up. I just hope the rumours are true, as he would set the Pyramid stage on fire.

Here are are a few 'Wiki' facts to help back up his case for a headling slot:

Prince has won seven Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe, and an Academy Award. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004 - the first possible year he was eligible. In the same year Rolling Stone ranked Prince #28 on its list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

Prince has sold over 100 million records worldwide including over 10 million records in the United Kingdom. He has had 44 singles in the UK top 40, 18 of which were in the top 10, and 13 Top 10 albums.

He also wrote the hits 'Nothing Compare 2 U' (Sinead O'Connor), 'I feel For You'(Chaka Khan) & 'Manic Monday' (The Bangles).

Look at it this way, it looks these days as if its what Eavis wants, Eavis gets, more or less (see Jay Z, Bruce, U2). If he wants Prince (as do a LOT of his punters and this has been the case for bloomin years!) I cant see why this potentially wont happen this time around. We are not party to any of the negotiations obviously but it does appear that a certain amount of clout and heavy persuasion has helped sway getting some of the big name (and slightly unlikely to the 'norm' shall we say?) US based headliners we have seen over the past three or so years at least.

Its the big name US 'group' I cant put my finger on that has been bandied about. Or am I just getting my wires crossed with that and its just US 'performer' that Eavis is referring to? Which in theory, lands in the lap of either Prince or Eminem (<<<no thanks) or the Foos (meh!) Cant really see Kanye being that big in 2011 to have that slot.

AND as it would appear that there seems to be a lean towards just getting even bigger than last time names...then...apart from U2, Prince, who has been a supposed wanted performer at the fest for donkeys, IS the likely outcome. Might be totally wrong there but hey...

Edited by LusciousLucy

http://www.omgmusic.com/news/beyonce-for-glastonbury-festival-2011

I worried when I saw the title, but when I read "revealed an event insider to the Daily Star." I calmed down ha.

Prince is probably big enough to headline but I'm not a fan so I would give Friday and Sunday a miss on the Pyramid stage.I only want to see one Pyramid stage act,so Saturday's headliner better be good.

http://www.omgmusic.com/news/beyonce-for-glastonbury-festival-2011

I worried when I saw the title, but when I read "revealed an event insider to the Daily Star." I calmed down ha.

Prince is probably big enough to headline but I'm not a fan so I would give Friday and Sunday a miss on the Pyramid stage.I only want to see one Pyramid stage act,so Saturday's headliner better be good.

I think a kick ass appearance at Glastonbury (and the exposure it would give him) could well boost sales of his back catalogue though. It's not always about the asking price.

Also, U2 are clearly playing for a lot less than their asking price - although I suspect their motives are to try and gain some credibility.

while that's of course true, it (not specifically in relation to Prince) also runs the risk of Glasto being thought of as a way for has-beens to give themselves a credibility boost.

I'm pretty sure it's that scenario that has U2 suddenly agreeing to play, and it brings with it the risk of acts such as Madonna doing the same.

It's one thing appreciating an artists old work, another thing entirely to allow yourself to be used in that way.

As for U2 playing below their normal price: some acts will, some acts won't. It seems to be the case that Prince has always refused due to the (comparatively) poor price. I don't think price has ever really been a factor for U2, more that they just don't like playing festivals.

The Foo Fighters are a good shout and are clearly touring next year, but they have played Glastonbury in the past, so they don't fit the bill of being courted for years. I remember seeing them at about midday on a Friday in the pissing rain, 1998 I think. I'm fairly certain they have played since then too, but I could be wrong about that.

it's very definitely the case that Glasto has been holding convos with the Foos for about 4 years at least about playing a major slot (which may or may not be a headline slot, I don't know). But along with that I'm aware that Michael has been unsure if they're a suitable headline act for his fest, presumably because he thinks of them as heavier than any act they've had previously as headliner.

Edited by eFestivals

Isle Of Wight have announced the Pink Floyd experience, maybe Glastonbury will get JASON BONHAM'S LED ZEPPELIN EXPERIENCE - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147444&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth.net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29

http://www.jblze.com/

Edited by 5co77ie

no, they are bland, stadium soft-rock shyte for the masses. In other words, a headliner that would pull in huge crowds if they headlined. See the killers, coldplay, muse etc for further details. There would be absolutely nothing special or memorable about the gig at all. Exactly like Muse's performance last year. Noone ever mentions that gig on this messageboard do they? Stevie is talked about a lot, even the gorillaz are talked about a lot but Muse? It's like it never happened.

People in general are idiots and so bands like the foo fighters are popular. It is just a sad fact of life.

haha, this made me smile today. It would appear we're polar opposites in taste. Although I love everything from Hans Zimmer through to the Stones with a big old detour past Daft Punk, I'm pretty sure that this will still make you groan. For me last year, MUSE was the highlight of the festival (previous highlights include Coldplay, Killers, Arctics...;)), they were phenomenal as always. Gorillaz, were a bit of a let down, but I'm going to watch them again in November. Stevie was on another level and absolutely nailed it on the Sunday. Hot Chip, the XX, Temper Trap, Snoop, Vampire Weekend, Two Door Cinema Club, Boy-8 Bit, Faithless, Slash, Seasick Steve and a bunch of other greats, also impressed.

I'm quite excited to see U2 again, but only if they're not being shown up on the other stage, I'd even watch Prince if i thought he would play some of his more popular work, as I imagine on a good day he's pretty unforgettable. However, the Foo's would be the most exciting act on the line up in my humble opinion (unless Daft Punk really do get booked). They've been pumping out massive tracks for 10 years, so it would be great to see them on the Pyramid. Monkey Wrench, Everlong, Pretender, all my life, would be fantastic

All that said, acts I think who would be great to see again this year are: Arcade Fire, Daft Punk, The XX, Two Door Cinema Club, Chemical Brothers, Ting Tings, Skunk Anansie, Soulwax, Broken Bells, Temper Trap...

Edited by russycarps