Weather thread 2011

Guest Paul ™

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update from a friend on site:

Tis muddy and it's going to get muddier. Site saturated by lots of rain on the build. Traders on yesterday which has churned up the ground. Bring your wellies or boots kids! xx

i'm leaving for the festival (well, not directly) in few hours and just tried to check weather for the first time... no idea which services are reliable and i googled metcheck. i heard lots about british weather but do you really have 300mph wind and minus degrees at nights?

i'm leaving for the festival (well, not directly) in few hours and just tried to check weather for the first time... no idea which services are reliable and i googled metcheck. i heard lots about british weather but do you really have 300mph wind and minus degrees at nights?

"Yes the land of the unwashed is coming to our shores in somerset again.

I doubt they will be around to sign on this week!!!

There really is some sorry sights,walking around naked smoking their happy weed."

What a great comment! I've never looked at the Sky News website before, I'll check it out from now on.

devonhammer has just posted in another place .. http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/69427-glastonbury-2011/page__st__204

Starting to get beyond being a bit of idle fun now and getting proper forecasts. Here's this morning's summary:

JackOne:While a full scale a mudbath orwashout is also very UNlikely, we are likely to more mud than dust, so on thisbasis a 6..

TWO: Rain Monday and Wednesday. Showers Saturday evening and Sunday.

Meteox: Rain Wednesday and Thursday. Light showers Fri-Sun.

Meteo: Dry Friday and Sunday, otherwise showers.

GFS Ensemble: Rain Tuesday, dry Friday, otherwise showers. Rising pressure from Thursday.

Met Office and charts: Rain Monday then pretty much dry until rain on Saturday and Sunday on their report, but a dry Saturday and probable dry Sunday on their charts and so I think the report is due an update.

ECM: Rain on Wednesday which will clear and could be dry after (but risk of rain on Saturday)

YR.NO: Showers every day, but rain on Saturday.

CountryFile (47 minutes in) Rain on Monday, Wednesday, otherwise dry.

I'll only put the CountryFile forecast in once as it's weekly. It is based on Met Office data, but they have professionals analysing it and so I've included it.

In summary, I think there will be some rain before the festival and then rain on the Wednesday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday should be largely dry, but with the chance of a brief shower. ECM and UKMO both have low pressure for Wednesday, but high pressure for Friday to Sunday and so this is looking increasingly likely. I imagine the busy paths will be thick (rather than wet) mud, but you'll be able to sit on the slopes. If they put down straw again where there's no metal/concrete walkway it might be fine.

Normal caveats apply:

1) I know a bit about weather, not a lot about weather

2) You can't predict the weather with any accuracy for more than three days

3) Based on Point 1, Point 2 might be incorrect

Edited by haznutuk

Just received a text from someone on site. Apparently the ground is improving. If those on site are careful about how they tread the land then it could be OK. Still dry in Glastonbury [town].