The Walking Dead

luckysalt

i just started watching season one of AHS and think it's absolute garbage. i've been reassured that the following seasons get better, but fucking hell, this first one is terrible and an absolute slog to get through; shite acting, hammy dialogue, crap story, not scary. season 4 seems a lot more like my kind of thing from the sounds of it so i look forward to watching that, but i'll force myself through the other seasons before i get to that (even though i realise they're all totally separate and i could watch them in any order i like)

• 2 weeks later...

I never thought I'd bother reading the Walking Dead comics as it's not my usual genre, but the compendium of the first 30 or so issues was being flogged for £11 new on Amazon, so I bought it thinking it was pricing glitch and they'd cancel the order. They've now bumped it up to £30+, but have honoured my order and sent me the bugger! I've got a backlog of comics to read that'll most likely take me up to this time next year, so I've lent it out to a mate for a while. Just really surprised they've actually delivered, I can probably sell it used on ebay once I'm done and make a profit.

I never thought I'd bother reading the Walking Dead comics as it's not my usual genre, but the compendium of the first 30 or so issues was being flogged for £11 new on Amazon, so I bought it thinking it was pricing glitch and they'd cancel the order. They've now bumped it up to £30+, but have honoured my order and sent me the bugger! I've got a backlog of comics to read that'll most likely take me up to this time next year, so I've lent it out to a mate for a while. Just really surprised they've actually delivered, I can probably sell it used on ebay once I'm done and make a profit.

Its actually the first 48 issues.

A lot of people myself including dont like the compendium because its so bulky but is only a paperback. So the bigger seller is the hardback books of 12 issues. This is what I buy, but for a spacesaver and value this is the best deal the compendium, and yeah I saw that deal, it don't think it was a glitch think they just put it out there to get more people started with the comics.

Edited by luckysalt

Its actually the first 48 issues.

A lot of people myself including dont like the compendium because its so bulky but is only a paperback. So the bigger seller is the hardback books of 12 issues. This is what I buy, but for a spacesaver and value this is the best deal the compendium, and yeah I saw that deal, it don't think it was a glitch think they just put it out there to get more people started with the comics.

I don't think I would have gone for it if it weren't so cheap, I've got a massive stack of comics waiting to be read, and an even more massive stack waiting to be bought, then there's my lack of storage space issue. I imagine there'll be quite a bit of gutter loss, but as long as it's readable I'm not too bothered there, I fully expect a budget presentation for £11, still great value. It speaks volumes when the paper quality in something as this black and white budget paperback is still far better than what Marvel are using for everything including their most prestige oversized hardcover collections. Marvel may have dominance in the monthly and film markets, but they seem to have their heads up their arses when it comes to the market for collected editions, the film stuff wont be in vogue forever, they need to pull their fingers out and realise the trade paperbacks and hardbacks are a massive portion of their industry now, and will probably be the single biggest quite soon.

Yyyyyyaaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnn!

I think this may be the end of the walking dead road for me. Its no longer enjoyable, I care so little about the characters now, with all of their stupid choices. And the whole zombie "thing" in it has just got so old, the effects are predictable and look fake, the grainyness of the "HD" pisses me off.

The end of every episode for about the last 6 has had both me and the missus looking at each other and saying "well that was shit". The season usually starts strong, get dull then ends strong. I'm out.

edited to add

http://www.thewrap.com/walking-deads-slain-hero-says-sundays-episode-will-lead-to-a-lot-of-weeping/

jesus the actors actually believe they are a part of something artistically outstanding. Tyreese was one of the most annoying characters on the damn show, there was no weeping in our house when he bought it.

Edited by t8yman

Nor ours. I agree with you that it's impossible to care about any of them at this stage. I keep waiting for them to get somewhere that adds some more context to the outbreak but it's not gonna happen is it?!

Now its been posted Tyresse dies I can talk about it.

WTF.

Such a badass character in the comic they turned him into an utter PUSSY in the show, I was waiting for him to wake up and become this bad ass character but instead he just went out in one of the worse ways ever. I liked it was a bit different, but goddamn what a waste of a character.

First Andrea now Tyresse, it looks as if they aren't gunna fuck up Abraham hopefully. HOPEFULLY. But the jury is still out.

Guys if you're wanting a zombie show may as well tune out now, if its anything like the comic, the walkers are an afterthought from now on.

That is fine by me. Zombies are the catalyst to an apocalyptic situation, but what is interesting is how people deal with that, I'd be perfectly happy if they all starved to death ala 28 days later, tbh.

I've always loved these sort of stories (like the stand, day of the triffids, etc), what makes them great is watching characters build through their adversity, like Carol for example.

I think most people still watching are very much to themselves "I have started, so I shall finish".............Unfortunately it aint going to finish any time soon and it aint great viewing any longer.

Tyreese had a long and trippy death............so what. No one cares. I think the only one I would be upset about if they were to go would be Daryl

At this stage I think most only care about how and why this apocalyptic scenario happened and we are not getting it soon, if ever........

Edited by ThomThomDrum

The trouble with most modern dramas is its always about the numbers, and numbers for TWD are obviously great. I know they have the source material of the comics, but by the sound of it they are veering away from comic plotlines anyway. I think the way to go would be to announce that the next season is the final season, and build and build to a really impressive finish, then possibly spinoff series are an option.

But the whole problem with modern TV production is to keep spinning it out and spinning it out until ultimately people fall out of love with it, the execs dont know when to stop. It was partly what made BB such a great show, we knew there was a finite conclusion. This is just meandering crap.

I fell out of love with Dexter, loved it initially, stuck with dodgy seasons much longer than I should have, and ultimately - I said "no more" with one episode left. I have never watched that finale.

Write in a conclusion, and aim for it.

I think cutting down the cast is a mistake at this moment in time, a lot of characters still need development to become fan faves and the others should be killed off only to make a villain seem more powerful and twisted than ever before. Ever since the cannibals were killed off, the show has struggled for me.