Guy in ticket queue in front of me, ejected

Guest brandycoke

As far as I'm aware (tho know I could be wrong) the tickets are not scanned for uniqueness.

But anyway, if they are, selling tickets via eBay becomes a fraudster's charter. Someone could sell their ticket, then turn up and claim they've lost it, and get a duplicate and get in, and when the buyer turns up later they'd find they'd bought a useless ticket.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with that one bit.

But anyway, putting that aside, Glastonbury do not "leave the door open". They do all they possibly can (short of making gaining access so difficult that the attendees wouldn't stand for it. Just consider the moans about queues this year!) to ensure the integrity of the entry systems. Any problems are not down to what they do, but are down to the dishonesty of some of the people they employ.

Until such time as there's a wonderful machine that's able to point out the dodgy before they're caught doing something dodgy there's little that can be done about any dishonest staff before they're caught.

:rolleyes:

I love the festival. I have consideration for others. I don't feel sorry for anyone that gets chucked out because they don't have a ticket. I do feel sorry for those who tried to get a ticket but couldn't, and who don't attend because of it.

Consideration is not necessarily a one-way thing. Your "consideration" of that ticketless person is at the same time a non-consideration of those who buy tickets and stick within the rules, and of the festival itself.

Those who buy tickets are doing nothing by that which risks the enjoyment of other ticketholders - that's REAL consideration of others - while those that get in without a ticket are having no consideration for the possible effects of their actions. A "me me me" mentality does not have consideration anywhere within it. :rolleyes:

While they might not be able to use via circumstances, they don't lose out financially if they take out the insurance that Glastonbury suggests they do.

So there's no loss, unless they've made the deliberate choice to take the risk of them having a loss.

The system doesn't really have to be foolproof. GFL does all it reasonably can to ensure that only legitimate ticket holders gain entry to the site. So long as enough people get turned away trying to get in on somebody else's ticket (and word of that gets out), then there's too much risk for widespread touting to get involved again. Why bother your arse trying to sell possibly useless tickets when there's other easier prey out there? I think the system works fine. Of course, no pass outs would solve a lot of the bother, but would we really like the festival to stop trusting us to behave like decent, honest adults?

you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

GFL is responsible for the festival and all associated problems that arise from the festival. no glasto no fence jumpers, no glasto no scumbags, no glasto no touts, no glasto no crime, can you see it now, the festival creates and is responsible for everything that follows good and bad. and thats how the license authority looks at it.

It's precisely because I know all of that that I'm saying what I am against the idea that getting in unticketed is somehow OK. It's not OK, it puts the future of the festival at risk.

Considering one persons feelings in no way means you are not considering someone else, it really doesnt.

how do you know people are not considering their actions when getting in without a ticket, maybe they consider it but still think its worth it. If you think that the festival will be cancelled solely because the number were exceeded you are incredibly naive.

The local economy has benefitted massively from the festival and it would be hit very hard by its closure. A license is primarily in place for safety of the public and if no one gets hurt the council would be very reluctant to stop it. it all comes down to money

The only reasons I can think of why someone would "still think its worth it" would be because they'd either be considering their right to Glasto's pleasures at that moment a greater thing than perhaps anyone's right into the future, or because they're not smart enough to realise that.

If you think that the festival will be cancelled solely because the number were exceeded you are incredibly naive.

I'm not as naive as you are. It's already happened.

Next time there's far less chance of a later reprieve. I've sat thru those licence hearings, have you?

I too would like to emphasise BUY THE INSURANCE if you can afford it.

Yep, it's an extra cost. but you say it's just £4, so it's not un-doable when you consider how much the ticket is.

But all of these things are clear when a person buys their ticket. If they don't like them, then the way things are meant to work is that they shouldn't go along with them in the first place by buying a ticket.

i am sure i can speak for myself and all other PAYING punters who work hard all year to pay for their ticket and get in the right way by saying that people who con/bribe or get in any other illegitimate way without paying are scum.

why should they have a great weekend for f**k all, as said above with big numbers doing this capacity problems could happen and this can affect future licenses. The fact is whether you like it or not Glasto has changed, you can't just pop in under/over the fence anymore, work hard like the rest of us and do it the right way or just stay at home!

Sorry, rant over. Just pisses me off when folks get away with this kind of stuff.....

Tickets are not scanned on entry. With all thw wireless technology around maybe they could consider scanning as an option. No ticket, no entry. If the ticket hasn't been scanned out then you can't come in with it. That together with the Photo would surely stop most of the nonsense that is happening right now.

This has been discussed in much detail on this forum in previous years. As much as you'd like to think this should be relatively straightforward the logistics of providing such a system and what the gates would do if said system was to go down even for 15mins soon makes it clear that at present this wouldn't really be a workable option. However it is only a mater of time, expect to see it thoroughly trialled/tested at other festivals first before implementing it at the worlds biggest greenfield event.

I'd guess that such a system will either be included from the start or added not long after starting to the cashless payment systems that look likely to get introduced to a reported "at least two festivals" next summer.

These payment systems will be presented as good for festival goers, but the real motivation behind them is for festivals to be able to fully track trader sales, to ensure they're charging the maximum possible pitch fee from every trader.

Sadly, this is the sort of technology that we're likely to see written into festival licences in the future as a condition of the licence, using the myth that it's being done for the good of the customer. :(

I'm not too sure if they were meant to or not. I remember going up to gate B and this girl said to be, if you don't have a easy pass out you are not allowed out that way. Which was the only way I could get home. But we went up there anyway. The guy was outside the gate so we pretty much ran up to the gate without him seeing and walked around the stewards on the road. Was quite funny :D

I'd hate to see what some of you freeeeaaaks who've written acutually get up to when your at glastonbury, stand by security and beg for a go on their walkie talkies "aw please mistah" or perhaps go round the food stands making sure everyone is getting the correct amount of non-heinz ketchup on their burger&chips "the fooking price of that"! I mean you have to do something once the debates in Leftfield are done and for the life of me i just cant figure out how you people actually enjoy yourselfs..........

The system doesn't really have to be foolproof. GFL does all it reasonably can to ensure that only legitimate ticket holders gain entry to the site. So long as enough people get turned away trying to get in on somebody else's ticket (and word of that gets out), then there's too much risk for widespread touting to get involved again. Why bother your arse trying to sell possibly useless tickets when there's other easier prey out there? I think the system works fine. Of course, no pass outs would solve a lot of the bother, but would we really like the festival to stop trusting us to behave like decent, honest adults?

In all honesty it should go a bit like this. Take your face, ticket with face on to entry gate, nice person gives you wrist band . You hand over your ticket. You now have a wristband which will not come off, you have proved once you are legitimately there as you have matched your face with your ticket. Therefore, as you have a wristband you can now come and go as you please. No tickets, passouts etc to pass on to anyone and I don't have to constantly remember where I have put my ticket and wristband and face for that matter when I need to get to and from my bed in the campervan fields. Any idea how annoying it is to get to the bottom of that hill and realise you've left your ticket and pass out in E13!!!!

I was a steward/security this year, we had about an hour breifing on wristbands and entry to the site/certain areas. Everybody on the glasto site needed a wristband on including artists, customers, workers, vips, delivery drivers if they got out the van etc. If someone was found not to have a wristband on they were approach by security.

They ran out of certain wristbands, for example if I worked in purple area, to get to the sound area, back stage, staff camping in shangri-la you needed a staff wrist band that said shangri-la on it and a purple wristband. They also had a lanyard with id on it, that we checked if they did not have shangri-la/purple wristbands. It became complicated when they ran out of wristbands, and they dont hand out lanyards to certain members of staff. The general rule was 2 out of the possible 3 passes (coloured wristband, staff wristband and/or id on lanyard). To further complicate it certain companies/people were allowed in restricted areas yet they had the same passes/wristbands on as everyone else.

Great thread - and I can agree with bits of both sides of the argument

I'm not personally offended if a few youngsters who really want to get in manage to and don't pay - glasto spirit and all that.

I'm not bothered if a few people who genuinely couldn't go sold their tickets on ebay and some folk had some agonising days wondering if they were going to get in or not - and did - or didn't.

Not ideal but fine.

This was my 16th (I think - its all kind of a blur) glastonbury starting way back in '85 so i've seen the ups and downs.

I've bought (obviously) recycled passout tickets in the '80s

Climbed over the (early) wall one year too - so can't get too stuck up my arse about it now.

(before anyone bothers to tell me off - it was 25 years ago for god sake - get over it - I know I did)

HOWEVER I do agree absolutely with the need for all this security hassle now ....

What happened in the 90's (post Happy Mondays) was a disgrace - the site ended up full of scally thieves and trouble makers every year. I had my tent broken into on several occasions (cut with a razor - during the day and the night while we were asleep) - night was kind of scarey. In the morning you'd wake up and see people's empty bags and purses scattered all over the field. Girls in tears all over the place. I got so tired of having my dope knicked I used to split it into little pieces and hide it about the place. People regularly had their whole tents stolen and thrown over the wall to waiting scouse rental vans. Nowadays everyone wanders about with iphones and video cameras - there was a period you'd bring nothing but disposable cameras. Really - it was miserable.

I didn't like it when they first brought the police on site - but it was fine and turned out to be essential during this period.

The first fence was a laugh - but the second, high, double fence suddenly worked and over a few years has managed to sort out all of that crap.

and I LOVED it when they did that pre-registration thing and made you put your picture on - means you need a little commitment. I laugh my ass off at any idiot who thinks its too much trouble - more fool you - you don't deserve to come.

Best of all it has (nearly) stopped the ebay touting and inflation which was getting out of order.

SO - my main point - the security has done a lot to stop shell suited dodgy geezers and on balance the extra hassle is a price worth paying.

having to find £185 and £spending and £transport is bloody difficult when your young or low-paid and that's rubbish - it's a shame there isn't a way to sort the needy freeloaders from the evil ***ts - but I don't think theres a way of doing that yet so it kind of has to be tough.

The queues this year were mostly related to the football timing - otherwise thought it was pretty well done.

Put up with the crap part of the security - and just welcome the fact that it helps make you feel safe inside.

anyway that's how I see it

and while I'm at it....

For those saying the site was more crowded this year than last - I didn't see it. Of course there will have been a few extra folk on site but I really don't think it was significant.

Best glastonbury ever ? - well yes, could have been - best one ever is always your first -when you discover the parallel way of life that is time on site - I've now spent 72 days there.

Or maybe the last sunny one you can remember.

Either way it was a cracker.

:P

Let's not forget, for those that are short of funds, the availability of thousands of worker tickets in one form or another. There really aren't many excuses for sneaking in.

Edited by whisty