The Strokes

Guest newagehippie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were AMAZING at Leeds University touring their first album (late 2001). Right in the middle of the big splash people talking about below. 45 min show, basically played all the songs they had.

The White Stripes were looking on from the balcony. For a brief moment - my Uni was the absolute epi-centre of the hottest indie around.

I'm with everyone, however. They've done nothing to excite since then. But that night in 2001 was incredible. Just a "decent" band now.

Could you please quote? Or does it simply say something like 'they could headline the other stage'? Either way, i'd love it to happen.. same time as U2! :D

I've not seen NME yet (must go & pick up my copy), but I was told on Tuesday that the whole piece they've written is written with far less of a "this is definitely what's going to happen" stance than is normal for NME - and the journo who tipped me off to it was of the belief that it's nothing more than their own speculation/guesses.

They were AMAZING at Leeds University touring their first album (late 2001). Right in the middle of the big splash people talking about below. 45 min show, basically played all the songs they had.

The White Stripes were looking on from the balcony. For a brief moment - my Uni was the absolute epi-centre of the hottest indie around.

I'm with everyone, however. They've done nothing to excite since then. But that night in 2001 was incredible. Just a "decent" band now.

Putting new bands, with 1 or 2 albums, high up the bill or as headliners usually does them no favours I think. The Killers 2nd from top set at Reading '05 was another one that actually had me yawning. On between QotSA and Pixies it only served to make them seem ordinary, probably a little unfairly as they do have a few tunes. 'Few' is the keyword though obviously, arguably still is for the Strokes/Killers.

I saw that Killers set too. Yep, dreadful.

But I've never seen them different to dreadful, they're about the most uncharismatic 'big' band I've ever seen.

I think they'd be ideal for 2011, think they have a new album coming out (eventually) and anyone who saw them at rockness would tell you that they were the highlight of the weekend. That was a great line up and they managed to blow everyone else out of the water in my opinion!

Only thing holding it back from happening is the fee. They could and probably will go elsewhere on an exclusivity for a lot more cash. Which is a shame.

They're still big, no doubt. Other headline would be great but i dont think they'd accept anything less than to headline the pyramid, which it looks like is already filled for this year.

Edited by Memory Man

Shadowplay being their other decent track ;)

I still have no clue why I missed Iggy at Glasto a few years ago for them :blink: Last time to have seen Ron Asheton who is the godfather of every guitarist I like. Think i must have had water on the brain from all that rain.

Bit unfair on the Killers, I saw them in 09 at T, and thought they was blinding, the whole crowd was moving and ofc they do have a couple of extra decent tunes. (More the first half of hot fuss I am thinking :P).

Anyway, as to the Strokes, great band, I didn't really masively like them but tried to get tickets when they played Dingwalls on the off chance I could and got through and just went by myself (Met a lad who was a die hard fan and had about 5 mates trying for his ticket :P). Was a great gig, hot and sweaty and alot of fun. (Though it cud been more fun as it was a kind of secret gig so mostly die hard fans :)). Don't agree at all they are Pyramid headliners at all, there great like but I just can't see them commanding that sort of crowd. Other stage headliners would be about right given the size of other indie bands there in recent years.

Putting new bands, with 1 or 2 albums, high up the bill or as headliners usually does them no favours I think. The Killers 2nd from top set at Reading '05 was another one that actually had me yawning. On between QotSA and Pixies it only served to make them seem ordinary, probably a little unfairly as they do have a few tunes. 'Few' is the keyword though obviously, arguably still is for the Strokes/Killers.

I thought The Killers were at their peak that year at both Glasto and Leeds.

The you tube coverage from Glasto is brilliant !

They had enough time to belt out all the best of Hot Fuss , so it was all anthems and no fillers and nowt from the new album !

yet they were generally regarded as not very good, and you say that was them at their peak. :lol:

I'd love to see them headline either at the Other or the Pyramid. Not sure they'd be on the Other Stage though. If you have a look at the best Other stage headliners, you've got to say that the Strokes are a level above them all. Well apart from the Prodigy, but they played every festival under the sun that year.

Add to the fact that theres great anticipation for their return after their hiatus and it would'nt be stupid for them to headline the Pyramid. Yeah they haven't done much as somebody has said, but we all know a lengthy absence makes the demand greater. And I'm sure there is a lot of demand for them.

I'd love to see them headline either at the Other or the Pyramid. Not sure they'd be on the Other Stage though. If you have a look at the best Other stage headliners, you've got to say that the Strokes are a level above them all. Well apart from the Prodigy, but they played every festival under the sun that year.

Edited by fatyeti24

Have to agree they can't headline the pyramid, I'm a massive fan and seeing them at the IOW was a dream come true (Only beaten by finally seeing the Libertines a few months later, for me they were on par with Blur :ph34r: ) but they don't have the status to headline the pyramid, Other stage definately, even subbing on the pyramid would be good.

the fan base just isn't there anymore, and despite the big crowd at the IOW I reckon some of that was the novelty of them being back together!

On another forum someone posted that XFM leaked that the Park guests are the strokes. Now I'm not saying that I don't trust this other forum..... but...well.... I don't!!

Has anyone else heard this from XFM and is there a chance this 'secret set' will just be the rest of the band joining Julian's solo set?