• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

Glad to see Birmingham go down, they're a bit of a nothing team. I can hardly think of any of their players. 1 point from last 6 games is diabolically bad, really.

And how on earth did Villa finish 9th, fantastic!

Edited by brighteyes

Crazy stuff. Blackpool are most probably in Europe!!! :lol: so two teams in the championship and in Europe.

Congrats to Wolves, Wigan and Blackburn. Commiserations to Birmingham and Blackpool.

City 3rd, Arsenal 4th with 3 wins in 15, no europe for Liverpool, Bolton after their great start finish 14th and be interesting how they do next season when elmander and sturridge goes, 3 goals in 3 games for Anderson...yep crazy! :lol:

and Nal, completely pointless stat but considering they're one of your favourite sides, one that you may like:

Whilst I'm not in any way saying they were better, United in the last 5 years with 134 goals conceded in 190 games have now conceded (if working to 3 decimal places :ph34r:) less goals per league game than the great Milan defence did under Capello 1990-91 to 95-96 with 124 conceded in 170; so Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta, Tassotti - invinceables reign, 4 leagues titles in 5 years, 26 clean sheets in 34 european cup games etc. Under Sacchi they conceded less domestically (conceded more in Europe), but only won the one league title in the 4 years, despite the two European Cups.

As I said, completely pointless :lol: and not in any way trying to say our defence have been better but do think our defence deserve huge credit especially when considering the rules changes that have benefitted the attackers over the defenders, such as liberlisation of the offside rule, greater protection (no tackles from behind etc), change from 2 pts for a win to 3 resulting in teams more likely to attack and not settle for draws.

only because hes been told to.

thats the problem with the sugar daddy sides like chelsea and city, cant imagine the likes of fergie and wenger ever contemplating going to sides like that.

Edited by ralph250

Was more referrring to Milan, though I'm sure it was the same there that he'd been told Europe was paramount.

2001-2002 4th

2002-2003 3rd

2003-2004 1st

2004-2005 2nd

2005-2006 3rd

2006-2007 4th

2007-2008 5th

2008-2009 3rd

yet won the Champions league 2002-03, runners up 2004-05, semis 2005-06 and winners 2006-07, and had an excellent side generally throughout that reign; Shevchenko, Kaka, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Cafu, Seedorf, Rui Costa, Crespo, Inzaghi etc.

Remember in one of the years they got to the final (think it was one on of the years they won it), and Milan pretty much rested the whole team ahead of each of the semis, let alone the final. Was why although I didn't tip us to do 4 league titles in a row at the start of the season, by around christmas time I thought we might do it, as thought Fergies experience of winning leagues/winning the prem would tell. Credit to Ancelotti and Chelsea they saw it out and deserved it overall.

quality manager, quality bloke always gave it straigt in his interviews.

I think we can be safe to say he wont be at west ham, as the alot of the top clubs in europe will be after im. I wouldnt even rule out real madrid.

Edited by ralph250

Notwithstanding I don't necessarily agree with some of the things he said post defeat in the CL regards Guardiola should be ashamed winning the CL how he has. It's not as if Mourinho's not had fortune in his two CL wins. Bojans injury time goal last year, and Scholes' ruled out goal for offside when he was at Porto. Without that decision, (ignoring causality) would've gone to extra time, possibility Porto wouldn't have got the win, and high probability if they didn't that he wouldn't have got the Chelsea job. They wouldn't won domestic double but gone out last 16 of CL, not enough to entice Roman I'd have thought. I'm sure he would've got to the top level eventually, as record is undeniable, but it might well have set his career back 5 or so years.

I wouldnt say wigan play shite football, they are very inconsitent and can defend terribly but often look good going forward, wolves also have their good days. I agree birmingham are a bit of a nothing team, just like blackburn, I personally am happy one of those 2 went down. Can see birmingham doing well next year as think they will keep the bulk of their players. Think blackburn and wigan may have things easier next year as the teams coming up are weaker than those going down.