Kendal Calling 2010

Guest SharonStoned

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home, top weather, great music from the likes of DOVES and King Blues to name but two , excellent work from the KC crew with some of the best staff around, good comedy, top DJs in house party etc etc. Really top weekend.

Bottle and can throwing mindless idiots and lazy, untidy, filthy campers not so clever. You should be ashamed.

Edited by MickeyMo

It was my first festival and like you I was very disappointed with some of the other campers. It doesn't take much to put a beer can in a bin bag does it? A lot of people seemed to be more interested in getting completely out of it outside their tents than experiencing the festival atmosphere.

Edited by Charles the Bear

I really HATE this festival and I've never said that about any other festival apart from V! It was bad enough 2 years ago but a whole lot worse this time. After spending a blissful weekend in the utopia that is secret garden party, KC seemed like a trip to the worst asbo-ridden housing estate in britain! There were people pissing wherever they felt like, two girls shat by my mates caravan just where she has to hitch it to the towbar - dirty bastards! There were several robberies. I even overheard two lads discussing how to get into my tent so told security just in case. Then there were those who just tossed their empties over their shoulders even though THEY WERE STANDING NEXT TO A f**kING BIN!!!

I know I must be missing something because you all seem to love it but how do you guys on here put up with that level of tosserdom? I've only ever seen that at the likes of V or T in the Park and thought KC wouldn't attract so many of 'that type' as there still seems to be a bit of a hippy element to it, at least musically, but apparently I was wrong.

I really HATE this festival and I've never said that about any other festival apart from V! It was bad enough 2 years ago but a whole lot worse this time. After spending a blissful weekend in the utopia that is secret garden party, KC seemed like a trip to the worst asbo-ridden housing estate in britain! There were people pissing wherever they felt like, two girls shat by my mates caravan just where she has to hitch it to the towbar - dirty bastards! There were several robberies. I even overheard two lads discussing how to get into my tent so told security just in case. Then there were those who just tossed their empties over their shoulders even though THEY WERE STANDING NEXT TO A f**kING BIN!!!

I know I must be missing something because you all seem to love it but how do you guys on here put up with that level of tosserdom? I've only ever seen that at the likes of V or T in the Park and thought KC wouldn't attract so many of 'that type' as there still seems to be a bit of a hippy element to it, at least musically, but apparently I was wrong.

I think your comments are unfair, as a local business man who's business is on the fringe of

the site it's pretty refreshing to see an event like this take place .

If you put 8000 plus folk in a field all of the above that you have said is going to happen.!

I hope Kendal calling goes from strength to strength at the lowther deer park, and over the next few years I'm sure the guys behind KC will learn from things that go on and improve it for the future.

Kendal calling crew thanks for breathing some life into sleepy Eden it was great.

to be fair I expected to be a few idiots, the bigger the festival gets the more chance of it happening unfortunately. Myself? Had no problems whatsoever. Yes there was a lot of noise at night but again I expected it and packed earplugs, worked like a charm. And the first night there were a few problems regarding getting crushed at Calvin Harris, obviously people got a little too excited. But the next 2 nights there were no such problems.

That aside, time for the music. Doves, CH and the Subways were all phenomenal, but also special mention to Kid British, the King Blues and Stereo MCs. Personal highlight for me was Sound of Guns in the Calling Out stage. The atmosphere in the tent was simply awesome and I virtually had to tear myself away to watch Doves!

What disappointed me the most? Had to be the Coral. I've heard they generally just get on with it and dont really banter with the crowd, but for me the banter part is essential if you want to be a good live band, you have to work the crowd. They just seemed to be going through the motions a bit and the fact it finished 10 minutes earlier than expected summed it up. Fortunately British Sea Power and the Subways bucked the trend there!

You think my comments are unfair because you are a faithful local, possibly with business interests to protect for future years. I am simply commenting on what I saw happening all weekend.

Your naivety shows through your perception that having 8000 people in a field will lead to all of my above comments happening. I have worked many different festivals for a very long time now and that perception is seriously way off the mark. Whether or not you like to admit it, this festival has a large ratio of louts to decent people and is exactly like the bigger corporate events that I also avoid like the plague! Robberies happen, yes, and are sometimes unavoidable given that there are gangs of festival thieves at most reasonably sized events but the pissing, shitting, littering and general don't-give-a-f**k attitude are prevalent here and what's more, they seem to be tolerated. This behaviour simply would not happen at other similar sized festi's as it would be stamped on from the minute it was spotted.

Just got home, top weather, great music from the likes of DOVES and King Blues to name but two , excellent work from the KC crew with some of the best staff around, good comedy, top DJs in house party etc etc. Really top weekend.

Bottle and can throwing mindless idiots and lazy, untidy, filthy campers not so clever. You should be ashamed.

I have just spent some time typing out a full post detailing our totally shite and negative experiences of Kendal Calling this year. I scrapped it as it turned out to be very long and tedious. Suffice it to say that this is really not the kind of festival I - or most people I know - want to go to. Corralled like cattle, searched down to your socks, no flexibility or humanity whatsoever. Kendal doesn't Call to me. The people that put this on are clearly simply in it to make money. And, fair play to them, apparently they do make plenty. I prefer a festival that is put on for the love of it, Fine, break even and make a bit, but also do it with the right spirit. Kendal Calling IS like a mini V, it really is. It is a corporate, money making event. And that's fine. But it's not my kinda fine.

Edited by kali1501

I have just spent some time typing out a full post detailing our totally shite and negative experiences of Kendal Calling this year. I scrapped it as it turned out to be very long and tedious. Suffice it to say that this is really not the kind of festival I - or most people I know - want to go to. Corralled like cattle, searched down to your socks, no flexibility or humanity whatsoever. Kendal doesn't Call to me. The people that put this on are clearly simply in it to make money. And, fair play to them, apparently they do make plenty. I prefer a festival that is put on for the love of it, Fine, break even and make a bit, but also do it with the right spirit. Kendal Calling IS like a mini V, it really is. It is a corporate, money making event. And that's fine. But it's not my kinda fine.

Have to agree with Kali and -H- (H I think we spoke at the festie about this) Much though I hate being negative about smaller fests cos they are usually a better option than the V/Reading nonsense, I have to say this one was a shambles. I worked on a stall and heard first hand at how unhappy some people were: many of the traders were very unhappy at the sales (or lack of), the security were unhappy at being undermanned, the musicians were unhappy that the back stage was completely open on Sunday evening as the security had to firm up the security fences after thefts from the bar, and the bar were unhappy and took losses on the first night, (they shut at midnoght on the first night).

I think this was caused by: not selling all the tickets (not sure why it was advertised sold out but I do many fests each year and that felt more like 7-8,000, not 15,00, no way). It wasn't helped by the delays in opening (caused I know by H&S checks but still perhaps avoidable) which meant people ate in their tents the first 2 days of 3.

As a punter I wouldn't go somewhere that kicked me out of the arena at 3, no campfires, few chill out places (the shisha bars popularity and packedness says a lot about what people wanted), the noise bleed between stages which meant being at the very very good Riot Jazz Cafe I could often hear the main stage over the cool jazz, and the toilets not being emptied enough was less than I would expect, even for a low price. There are so many fests out there now that KC will have to pull it out of the bag in spectacular style (or continue to appeal only to local young uns that don't spend) for it to compete. Sadly, I won't be there to see it.

On a positive note, the RJC was amazing, (Danny Fontaine!!) and would like to ask if anyone PLEASE knows the name of the great jazz singer who was on Sun eve. She'd prob hate the description but she sounded a little Amy Winehouse-y...would love to catch her elsewhere..anyone? Ta and happy festivalling.

What disappointed me the most? Had to be the Coral. I've heard they generally just get on with it and dont really banter with the crowd, but for me the banter part is essential if you want to be a good live band, you have to work the crowd. They just seemed to be going through the motions a bit and the fact it finished 10 minutes earlier than expected summed it up.

I must have went to a different festival this weekend to some of the miserable buggers on here. Ace time had, great little festie, good sound on the main stage, place was never packed, no queues for bars, minimal queues for toilets, reasonably priced beer available... happy days for me!!!

Loved Doves tho Jimi seemed to have a face like a slapped arse through most of it. Badly Drawn Boy having his daughter up playing with him was pretty special as well.

For those who had items stollen thats really shit, but its been well documented that criminal gangs now operate at the first couple of nights at every major festival in this country. The Police really need to do more to combat this new form of organised crime so as to protect the festival going public more. I dont think the event organisors can be held totally responsible for this.

The festival itself was wonderful IMHO i really enjoyed what i thought was a really freindly vibe and I spoke to a few randoms who said that they also where having a great time so i feel sorry for you if you didnt.

Roll on next year

I don't think it's fair to call someone miserable if they don't have a good time, it's a bit like kicking someone when they're down! Not very festival minded...!

I for one didn't want to give the impression I was being negative or miserable, but wanted to add my veiws on why the festival didn't work for a lot of people. There seems to be a big difference between punter experience and trader or performer. And that many punters enjoyed it is great..But the problem is...you need the traders and the performers to enjoy the festival to have a festival next year!

And to those who say all festivals are like this are just plain wrong! I travel around the country to festies almost every other week and have done for a couple of years and I like to believe I'm even minded and fair, and I did see some things this weekend that I've never seen before in the attitudes of security, thefts, staff campping facilities, takings, layout, noise bleed, attitudes of punters...etc etc.

Just because my experience may not agree with yours it does not mean it isn't valid and it's one that is important to flag to organisers to make sure as many people can be accommodated as possible. With so much competition I don't think any festie can afford to be complacent.

All in all was ok. the arena was the best arena I have been to, and well layed out. And agree that it isn't the festivals fault for knob eds but could they do more to prevent???

i.e there was security going round pulling geezbos down which was good but whilst they where going round just a quick " are you 18 or over?, have you got any i.d", and if none produced take all visible alcohol off them?!?!?!?!

I was fortunate as only a few ten pegs and a pole for my tent, (the front porch) was stolen. Also no lights in the back end field???? WHY???? People were falling all over!!!

Also not to sound like an old git again here, but........ To all the people inisisting smoke so much weed, when you light up and walk round to be honest couldn't give a flying monkeys but when you pull up at a stage next to a young kid about 5 or 6 and just start puffing away?!?!? honestly do think you have no brain cells left!!

rant over...... The actual festival was brill, I was in at 12 and stayed there for hours until I couldn't walk anymore!!

well done Kendal, a lot of the goers need a long hard look at themselves.

Walking through the campsite and reminded me of shameless!!

won't be attending again for sure!

Disappointing to read some of the comments on here.

I wasn't there this year, but went two years ago when it was at it's previous location. There were a few issues there (toilets, campsite, delay of opening) which I'd hoped would have been addressed by moving to a bigger location, but reading some of the above comments it is enough to put me off returning.

I'm curious by the comment that the organisers are just in it to make money, as I was lead to believe that the focus of this festival was to provide excellent value for money and not to be a particularly profit making exercise. Sounds like that may have changed.

To be honest IMHO I do think theat it could offer value for money!!!

Think the actual arena was spot on (apart from the loos, why do people insist on sh1tt1ng in a toilet when it is overflowing? and how do you sh1t up the wall??? :( )

I really enjoyed the smaller stages, the holy qual pub and just the general vibe during the day. at night was ok, IT WAS JUST SOME OF THE TEENY BOPPERS WHO CAN'T HANDLE 20 CANS OF STELLA (I couldn't!! lol) Come in with no money looking to kick off and rob you!

Me too! Kendal Calling was the best event i have traded at this summer. And better than last year in every way.

I make it my point to talk to as many traders as possible and that's most. All with only one exception - who was maybe overpriced - were happy. Nearly all traders were at KC last year and hope to return. I didn't speak to one who wouldn't.

Security might have been a bit overzealous but haven't you noticed the police presence increasing (charging 20k plus!) at ALL fests? Have you also noticed smaller fests being squeezed out / licences refused by authorities and costs incurred? KC trod a line which hopefully cements their future. Read this: http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/eighty-five-arrests-at-cumbria-s-kendal-calling-music-festival-1.741473?referrerPath=home

Artists unhappy? Read this from the local News and Star. http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/entertainment/kendal-calling-music-festival-getting-better-every-year-1.741511?referrerPath=home '''He said: (Doves) “It’s been the hardest week of the entire year for us and the team that’s put all this together have done an amazing job. Doves said last night it was their favourite performance of any gig they’ve had this summer.”'

Organisers making too much? What, £85 admission and £3.50 a pint for 6 different REAL ales?

Many artists returned- BSP, Craig Charles etc.

Just who are you 3 or 4 'newbies' who, (2 of you say you met each other)have signed up purely to trash what's a very enjoyable, friendly venue for the rest of us?

Refusal- How do you know so much about backstage, staff camping and traders?

All Very Suspicious!

Doves said last night it was their favourite performance of any gig they’ve had this summer.”'

hmmm, there's little point placing much credibility in comments like that. It's much like bands (and Doves are a band that do this more than plenty of other acts) who say "you're the best crowd we've ever played to" at nearly every show they play.

It's not like any band is ever going to say "you're a shit crowd" or "your event is the worst we've ever played", is it? ;)

hmmm, there's little point placing much credibility in comments like that. It's much like bands (and Doves are a band that do this more than plenty of other acts) who say "you're the best crowd we've ever played to" at nearly every show they play.

It's not like any band is ever going to say "you're a shit crowd" or "your event is the worst we've ever played", is it? ;)

Disappointing to read some of the comments on here.

I wasn't there this year, but went two years ago when it was at it's previous location. There were a few issues there (toilets, campsite, delay of opening) which I'd hoped would have been addressed by moving to a bigger location, but reading some of the above comments it is enough to put me off returning.

I'm curious by the comment that the organisers are just in it to make money, as I was lead to believe that the focus of this festival was to provide excellent value for money and not to be a particularly profit making exercise. Sounds like that may have changed.