The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

I'm a fan. Its loose. :P

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have listened to The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and No Line on the Horizon over the past few days (I had heard the first two before, but a very long time ago and I don't remember the tracks that aren't on the best of albums).

TJT and AB were both superb - I forget just how many top tunes they did. Will they play One at Glastonbury? Awesome track.

But following on from those, I was a bit unimpressed with the new one - I found a bit average, though by no means awful. I'll give it a few more goes to get used to it, but there wasn't much of it that grabbed me. Although I have to agree that Breathe is top. It's not a bad album at all and I'd disagree with anyone would says it's shit. It's merely nowhere near as good as previous albums of theirs on first listening IMHO.

I've got All That You Can't Leave Behind to listen to on the journey home.

You can't beat a bit of a one band overload! :P

Well I have listened to The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and No Line on the Horizon over the past few days (I had heard the first two before, but a very long time ago and I don't remember the tracks that aren't on the best of albums).

TJT and AB were both superb - I forget just how many top tunes they did. Will they play One at Glastonbury? Awesome track.

If I can be so bold mate you need to go back to the beginning for the really interesting stuff. "Unforgettable Fire" for example? Ever given it a spin?

I've always been a fan of Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me and was wondering whether they ever play it live. Found this on youtube. I really don't want them to play it live now, without the strings the four of them really can't do it justice live. Just sounds weak and empty compared to the record.

• 2 weeks later...

the excitement is really starting to kick in today (ive been away - i didnt believe it till i checked today)

just play the hits boys, all the hits

90,000 glastonians in unison

'i want to run.........'

It feasibly could be better than Blur last year. Something I would have my doubts over. I think U2 will play 6/7 songs off the new record and about 10 others. Blur played a career spanning 20 odd fan-favourites. Big difference methinks.

Just had a thought.

How's about all the U2 fans do a playlist on spotify (or nominate tracks and I'll do it) of the best stuff they've done post-Rattle & Hum. Then those of us who have been slagging them and are big enough to admit that they may be wrong (like me) can give it a whirl.

Any volunteers.

Edited by angelofharlem

Post Ruttle & Hum some of my favourite tracks are:

One, Zoo Station, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Stay, Staring at the Sun, Beautiful Day, Walk On, Wild Honey, In A Little While, New York, Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, All Because of You, Magnificent, No Line on the Horizon, Unknown Caller, Surrender.

Post Ruttle & Hum some of my favourite tracks are:

One, Zoo Station, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Stay, Staring at the Sun, Beautiful Day, Walk On, Wild Honey, In A Little While, New York, Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, All Because of You, Magnificent, No Line on the Horizon, Unknown Caller, Surrender.

I'm in a bit off a quandry ( spell police? ) about seeing U2, i'll have to see who else is playing. I went to the Wembley gig only to come away feeling slightly ripped off. I was however way up in the heavens and i do rather enjoy the smaller gigs. That said they might just be a whole lot better at Glasto.

not including collaborations........

Position Title

1 Beautiful Day

1 Desire

1 Discotheque

1 Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

1 The Fly

1 Vertigo

2 City Of Blinding Lights

2 Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

2 Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

3 Elevation

3 Pride (In The Name Of Love)

3 Staring At The Sun

3 Sweetest Thing

4 All Because Of You

4 All I Want Is You

4 Stay (Faraway So Close)

4 Where The Streets Have No Name

4 Window In The Skies

4 With Or Without You

5 Electrical Storm

5 Walk On

6 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

6 The Unforgettable Fire

7 One

7 Please

9 Angel Of Harlem

10 Last Night On Earth

10 New Years Day

12 Even Better Than The Real Thing

12 Get On Your Boots

12 If God Will Send His Angels

13 Mysterious Ways

14 Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

18 Two Hearts Beat As One

32 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy

35 Fire

that's 36 UK top 40 singles (the vast majority being top 10 hits) alone over a 32 year career. even if they only pick 25 from those and ignore live/fan favourites it has the potential to be an incredible setlist.

but if they choose say 18/19 from that and then really go heavy on live/fan favourites as well......

not including collaborations........

Position Title

1 Discotheque

2 Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

3 Staring At The Sun

3 Sweetest Thing

4 All Because Of You

4 All I Want Is You

4 Window In The Skies

5 Electrical Storm

7 Please

10 Last Night On Earth

12 Even Better Than The Real Thing

12 If God Will Send His Angels

14 Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

18 Two Hearts Beat As One

Shocked if any of them are played. And theres a half dozen others on your list that have only been played once or twice in the last 5 years.

U2 arent going to divert too far from their current setlist. Tis like a footballer wearing a new type of football boot for a big game. You stick to what youre comfortable with when it matters. No chance of any slip ups for this one from The Lads. People who think theyre gonna play a set like Blur are totally deluded. U2 view themselves as a vital, important band with songs on the current album as good as anything theyve done. I totally disagree with this of course! But theyre still gonna give us a minimum of 6 tunes off the new album.

Good to have you back btw chief.

Shocked if any of them are played. And theres a half dozen others on your list that have only been played once or twice in the last 5 years.

U2 arent going to divert too far from their current setlist. Tis like a footballer wearing a new type of football boot for a big game. You stick to what youre comfortable with when it matters. No chance of any slip ups for this one from The Lads. People who think theyre gonna play a set like Blur are totally deluded. U2 view themselves as a vital, important band with songs on the current album as good as anything theyve done. I totally disagree with this of course! But theyre still gonna give us a minimum of 6 tunes off the new album.

Good to have you back btw chief.

shame brother, a real shame.

still, even if they play 6 from the new album if they get the same set length as the 3 this year that still gives them 18/19 to pick from.

i still think it could be a genuinely brilliant set if they do it right.