Anyone else taking a year off....

Guest parsonjack

After 7 on the trot we've decided to take a year off for 2010. Yes I know it's the "40th" and all that , and Eavis says it will be the 'best ever'...but there were few things that hacked us off this year...and considering those we've decided to have a break and then come back in 2011 before the fallow break.

Main gripes being....

- no campervan now after failing MOT in a big way

- this year we were pretty much parked in Yeovil and had a 20 minute walk on/off site..even though we were on site before midday Weds :)

- ridiculous overcrowding in Trash City after dark

- crazy one way shuffle along railway track

- whole site felt far more crowded this year from Weds on

there's probably more less tangible stuff but all things considered i think its time for a break befroe we get too jaded and start to resent the whole festival when it's clearly our own tolerance that is behind the decision....oh and its not cash related...the money will go on a marrakech trip instead... :)

i'll continue to browse the boards and give input to help out folks wherever i can...and hopefully we'll be back refreshed, raging to go in 2011. hope you all have a wicked time...i'm sure i'll regret it at some point but it needs doing.

anyone else made similar decisions...?

Had to take thisyear off - wasn't too bothered until it got to the Tuesday evening and then had a few lip wobbles.

Main problem was that my first niece was born during the fest in 2008 so her first birthday celebration was on the wekend of the festival. Seriously, I wouldn't have missed the little un's big day (despite being 1) for anything.

Oh, and the location of said party? Glastonbury town centre. Row of houses opposite Avalon bloody Tyres. The neighbours went to Pilton and even popped round a couple of times (they don't camp due to locality) to tell us all how bleedin' great everything was on site.

I watched a bit on tv, but being 6-7 miles down the road was simply too much.....

Advice is if you choose not to go, then follow your idea and get out of the country.

Pity the fool!

Seriously I had a phase of maybe 2 Glastos in the late 80's early 90's that weren't so good, but I'm glad I stuck with it... came out smiling and glad I didn't miss anything!

Respect to your decision, but I couldn't cope!

I had considered the unthinkable and was thinking about taking a year off too! :P

1) My line of work is busy in May & June but dead quiet in August. So if taking time off work I'm better doing August Festivals like 'En-Dorset In Dorset' +/or 'Beautiful Days', rather than the big G in June.

2) I was really put off by the yob/lad culture that has crept in recently and was really noticeable the few times I was at main stage, in particular near front of Pyramid for The Specials & again for Kasabian. I'm talking about the naughty teenager element that shakes beer up into the air and the odd throwing of liquid in plastic glasses!!! :unsure: This wasn't a one off but I witnessed loads of times & also heard similar tales from other festival goers.

Thankfully nowhere near the horrible display you get at Oasis gigs but it has crept in at Glasto and do you challenge 8 blokes when on your own??

Enough to put me off more so than anything else

However, despite the 2 points above there are so many good things about Glasto, made more special cos of eFestival meets, & doing so many different things with many fellow eFesters.

I had SOooooooooo many highlights this year that it made 2009 a very special one for me.

...so after all things considered i WON'T be taking a year off & will defo be on-line for Ticket day securing my ticket :)

Yep. I took a year off in 2006. Think I'll probably do the same in 2012.

I probably won't be coming to glasto next year, but I will do a thread on that soon to explain why.

It was my first time this year, god almost typed last year it seems so long ago! I went with a mate from work and his younger nephew. It was just great! I think we were spoiled be the weather and i just hope that next year is as good. I harped on so much about it that next year i am going with my younger brother, his son ( who is now 17 ) and our other good friend, together with the same freinds as this year. A good age spread, all men, and up for a good time. It will be different and i am so keen on my Nephew seeing the delights of the festival. As a first timer last year i must be like a really annoying uncle when i keep on about how great it was to him :unsure:

Just been made redundant so i'm using my pay-off to leave the country. It's unlikely that i'll be back by June, although i'll be putting my deposit down as an insurance policy. The thought of coming back (and it would only be necessity which made me return to the UK) and then missing Glasto is not one i wanna contemplate.

But chances are i'll be looking to visit festivals in foreign countries in 2010...