Blur, Hyde Park v Glastonbury

Guest marktea

Saw Blur at Hyde Park last night having seen them at Glastonbury at the weekend. They were good last night but just not a patch on the epic performance on Sunday. Obviously the two events are very different but some thoughts occurred that were linked to some of the discussions on here this week:

The sound / stage / screens / lighting at Hyde Park were nowhere near as good as the Pyramid.

I was starting to get pi**ed off at the number of flags at Glasto this year at the Pyramid. Last night I missed them. So as a a flag sceptic I do have to agree that flags add something - not those massive banners though (such as the Sausage one!).

There were no chairs at Hyde Park. This was a definite improvement on Glasto (and I took chairs to Glasto as I had kids with me). However, the general restrictiveness in the park in terms of what you could take in (drink chairs flags etc) was definitely not a good thing.

Overall I think the main point is that the Glasto policy of letting everone do what they want is the only way. Some will get annoyed with flags, some will get annoyed with chairs but the overall freedom of the mix is a magic combination and to mess with that would be a mistake.

Spoke to someone in the crowed and got blanked. Didn't happen once in four days at Glasto where everyone seemed to be up for a chat.

The very wide mix of ages at Glasto is a fantastic thing. Much tighter age range last night on the whole.

Shorter sets are not necessarily a bad thing. Blur were on stage for longer last night but this reduced some of the intensity and impact compared with the Glasto set.

Er that's it..... Overall a brilliant return from Blur this week though.

Saw the set list on NME. Did they only do Death as a Party as an extra? Can't see much more change. Also what was the atmos like during Tender? As good as Glasto?

I thought the most telling thing was how the crowd didn't spontaneously carry on singing Tender. Daman even looked a little disappointed to me. A good gig again but not as good as Sunday.

Just on that actually, what's Hyde Park like as a venue? I've never been, but for some reason I've always pictured it as being a bit, well, ropey really.

For some reason I'm imagining too many people, poor sightlines, dodgy sound and not enough facilities. But I have absolutely no evidence at all to back this up!

One good thing about the Blur gigs is there's no golden circle rubbish is there? I remember the Foos there a couple of years back had a set up where you could pay extra to get close to the front. I think that's dead cheeky!

I'm wandering well off topic now, so I reckon I'd better stop here. I thought Blur were immense at Glasto by the way - was listening to highlights on a 6Music show yesterday and getting all goose-bumpy!

Only "Death of a Party" as an extra to the Glastonbury performance?

Fair play to Blur, they gave us more than our money's worth on Sunday. And although i wasnt there I can understand where the OP is coming from, without a massive increase in the setlist there would be no question that the Glasto show would be the superior when compared to Hyde Park. The Pyramid has never looked or sounded better to me than Sunday.

Just on that actually, what's Hyde Park like as a venue? I've never been, but for some reason I've always pictured it as being a bit, well, ropey really.

For some reason I'm imagining too many people, poor sightlines, dodgy sound and not enough facilities. But I have absolutely no evidence at all to back this up!

One good thing about the Blur gigs is there's no golden circle rubbish is there? I remember the Foos there a couple of years back had a set up where you could pay extra to get close to the front. I think that's dead cheeky!

I'm wandering well off topic now, so I reckon I'd better stop here. I thought Blur were immense at Glasto by the way - was listening to highlights on a 6Music show yesterday and getting all goose-bumpy!

Edited by marktea

The sound / stage / screens / lighting at Hyde Park were nowhere near as good as the Pyramid.

I was starting to get pi**ed off at the number of flags at Glasto this year at the Pyramid. Last night I missed them. So as a a flag sceptic I do have to agree that flags add something - not those massive banners though (such as the Sausage one!).

thought on Sunday they started off pretty shakily but once they hit their stride 3 or 4 songs in, they were fantastic. Albarn looked as if he was on something throughout the show, particularly when he started crying. Only started to smile near the end of the show.

Thanks everyone, good to hear some positive comments about the place. Next time someone's on there I want to see, I'll be sure to try it out for myself.

Also - on the Golden Circle thing - if it was for the first xxxx ticket holders then I guess that's more democratic.

I did enjoy last nights show, but not a patch on Glastonbury. Death of a Party was a very nice addition though! I imagine they will do something else tonight instead of DOAP.

I didn't like the fact that it was light for more than half the set. Takes away from the spectacle. The crowed were a bit shit and not totally getting into it except for Song 2 which is a bit of a given. London crowds are generally a bit reserved and pretentious.

The thicknecked twats posing as security at the bars was a bit unneccersay. "EVERYONE KEEP MOVING!!! KEEP MOVING!!!"... f**k off, why do you think were in the cue for the bar...

Apart from that, BLUR WERE MAGNIFICENT!!!!

I was most amused that they chose to do Death of a Party. We were joking about them closing with it at Glasto - just to turn everything into a downer :lol:

I'm still surprised they didn't do MOR.

Great show though.

I'll catch them next week at T in the Park. Will be interesting to see them with a different crowd, Scottish crowds seem to be a bit more manic.

But I thought the Glasto crowd for them was spot on, realy enjoyed it. They'll have to pull something special out at T to beat that performance.

They were ace tonight.

The only discernable difference from Sunday night's set was they started the 2nd encore with some dreary nonsense off the last couple of albums (yeah Graham, we all know you love Pavement. Can we get back to the pop tunes now?) when they could have played the mighty Badhead. But apart from it was bloody ace.